The definitive (ish) video watching/editing/encoding thread.

I will be heading off to University this September, and in doing so I thought I'd get a fresh start, and buy an Apple notebook instead of sticking with Windows, which I've grown very tired and irritated with. The only reason for me to stick with Windows would be if I planned on doing a lot of PC gaming, and I doubt I'll have time for too much of that anymore, so that's no longer really an issue/factor for me to consider. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my new Mac, but having used Windows all my life (I know how to use a Mac easy enough, however all my home experience and media experience is pretty much Windows dependent) I'm trying to figure out the best route when it comes to watching videos on my computer (something I do frequently). I'm a fan of downloading and having everything archived, instead of just streaming it from the internet (this comes from having dial-up all my life, and needing to have hard copies of videos saved to watch, etc.) What I want to do is use QuickTime for pretty well ALL my video watching. I was wondering if there are any good sites with codecs for QuickTime (preferably plugins/codecs available for both Mac and Windows that will do the same thing.

I know there's MPlayer and whatnot, but meh, I'd really prefer to just use QuickTime for everything on my Mac and PC if possible. However, if QuickTime isn't capable of such feats, my next choice would be the DivX player (once again, if there were codecs available for it, and a version available for Mac, etc.) I'm going to be investing in a big external hard drive to store all my media on (not a fan of having an abundance stored locally on my machine). I'd love to be able to go into that drive whether I'm on my Mac notebook, or back home on my PC and still be able to double-click any video and have it open in QuickTime (or DivX). I do not want to install Flash player for Flash, Windows Media Player for WMV, Google Video Player gor their format, etc. etc. just for examples.

It's either that or finding a REALLY good video encoding/transcoding app for Apple (and one for Windows) that can take virtually ANY video format and put it into H.264 (preferably, so I know it will work on both Mac and PC and with QuickTime, not to mention the good quality.

I realize I'm asking for quite a bit, and have been trying to Google around myself, but haven't really been able to find something that fits my criteria. It would be awesome if a site existed with a list of Codecs to download and install for QuickTime or DivX. I may just be dreaming though :(

I'll throw my 2 cents in on encoding/decoding. It's definately a hard task to follow with new software flying from all angles and I still can't seem to figure out Doom9 forum personally.

But I've spent alot of time in the anime area which seems to be the nightmare of all encoding jobs. You couldn't give me $20 to work on another anime title, and I have about 10 unencoded episodes sitting on my hard drive right now.

My favorite codec package (decoding) is the Combined Community Codec Pack. Make sure you check the wiki on the installation and possible problems with certain encoding packages (divx). CCCP comes with Zoom Player which is my favorite media player.

The current all-in-one encoder that's popular on Doom9 is MeGUI. I have no experience with this since I have been disappointed w/ previous packages so I do everything manually now.

***Before we I get started I just want to say my target media center right now is a Modded Xbox which limits me to what A/V encoding options I take. My dream HTPC is still just a dream so I don't have the option to use fancy encoders such as h.264 and newer audio encoders such as AudX MP3 5.1 because Xbox Media Center doesn't yet support it.***

Ripping
-------------

I still rely on DVD Decrypter and it has only failed me a few times in which RipIt4Me saved the day.

DVD Decrypter ->

http://guide.zhentarim.net/1/RippingtheDVD.html

It's the guide I started using and is still up to date.

Audio
----------

BeHappy -> Make sure you install the audio encoders you wish to use according to the directions in the thread.

Here's how I do my audio for DVD's, I preserve the audio as much as possible since it's the best thing in my home theater setup (which sucks once you get past the audio equipment)

DTS Tracks -> I keep them 99% of the time, they are big and waste lots of space but it's the reason I buy half of my DVD's.

Dolby Digital 5.1 -> I usually compress these down a tad with BeHappy using the Nero AAC encoder. (Movie: Variable Bitrate Q = 0.3/Profile - Automatic, Music: Variable Bitrate Q = 0.4/Profile - Automatic). Make sure you save the files as *.mp4 for movie audio and *.m4a for music audio.

Dolby Digital 2.0 (Stereo) -> Call me lazy but I usually end up taking the same route as with 5.1 audio. But you have alot of options here such as MP3 or OGG Vorbis.

***Make sure you take into account the delay which DVD Decrypter writes in the filename or your audio won't sync with your video track.***

Some other Apps I use for Audio:

YAMB -> I use it to join Nero AAC files. Sometimes you'll run into DVD's (cheap pr0n) where the movie is split along many different VTS's so you have to extract the different parts of the movie to different folders. After compressing the multiple pieces of audio you can use this to combine them. It also offers a simple .*m4a tagger that comes in handy once in a while.

Encoding
----------------

1. Setting Up a Project
DGIndex -> Open all of the VOB files you ripped with DVD Decrypter. If your movie was split along multiple VTS's then you can combine them all here.

Video -> Field Operation is your main concern at this point.

Most films that made it to the theaters are Progressive Video meaning they can be safely encoded at 24 fps(Film).

The other end of the spectrum is Interlaced Video, runs at 30 (29.97) fps and requires some extra steps to take it down to 24 (23.9..) fps before compression. To check if your source contains any it's best to find a scene where there is small amounts of motion such as a person waving their hand in the distance. You can kind of see ghosting going on, I usually use this method to check a source.

Depending on what you figure out about the source set the Field Operation accordingly.

Progressive -> Film
Interlaced -> Honor Pulldown Flags

Save your project and on to the next step.

2. Simple AVISynth Script
This is where the power lies on doing this manually. With power comes problems though, you can screw up your video pretty badly if you start using filters and such with no idea what's going on. I keep it simple and don't use filters, they increase encoding times and backing up all of my DVD's is already headache enough.

These are simple text files with the *.txt extension changed to *.avs. Make sure Mpeg2Source points to the d2v file you created with DGIndex.

***Make sure you have the plugins used below installed here: C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\***

You can download the plugins here: AVISynth Plugins

***The Decomb guide offers a lot of insight on what's going on with Interlaced sources and how to suit your script to different sources. Worth a read.***

The Simple Script:

Progressive ->

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Anime Encoding\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
Mpeg2Source("C:\American Psycho\american_psycho.d2v")

Interlaced ->

Mpeg2Source("C:\NIN - Closer\closer.d2v")
AssumeTFF()
Telecide(guide=0)
Decimate()

You can check to see if your script works by opening the *.avs file in Zoom Player or Windows Media Player (it will pop up an error but still will work).

3. Aspect Ratio / Cropping
With most DVD's the AR is on the back but you'll run into problems sometimes with unkowns. You can try searching on the web but watch out for conflicting AR's when movies have multiple releases. Or you can just figure it out by eyeing it.

Yatta -> The must have anime encoding tool but where not going to use any of it's anime features.

Open your newly created *.avs file in yatta. Right click the video window: Additional -> Cropping and Resizing.

Check each corner of the video looking for stuff to crop. Bad Lines can be cropped out. Letterboxed DVD's top and bottom black space should be cropped. Try to keep everything pretty even. Say your crop 16 pixels off the left than do the same on the right. Make sure the top and bottom values are pretty close also. Cropping values should be even numbers.

Next set the Pixel Aspect Ratio up accordingly.

4:3 Video: I try to stay close to 640x480 (480p).

16:9 Video: 720x480 (480p)

After you set this up check the Aspect Ratio Error and try to get it as close to zero by adjusting the height of the video. But you want to keep the AR Error box white at the same time. Preview your final setup by checking "Show Resized"

Open up your *.avs script and add these settings:

Mpeg2Source("C:\American Psycho\american_psycho.d2v")
Crop(0,60,0,-60)
Lanczos4Resize(720,304)

Save your script and reopen the file in Yatta. Now right click the video window: Additional -> Bitrate Calc

Add the audio streams you have already compressed and want to include.

I could probably start a war on any encoding forum with my settings for how much space I waste but they work for me.

Movie (2 Hr): 1.5GB-2.0GB
Movie (4 Hr): 3.0GB-4.0GB Split into 2 files

Crappy Video (Pr0n)

Movie (1-2 Hr): 800mb
Movie (4 Hr): 1.5gb split

I also classify bitrate into 2 categories, good movies I tend to stay at 1500+ kbps and everything else around 700-800.

Whatever your final bitrate is write it down for future use.

4. Video Compression
My encoding settings. I recently switched from DivX(old version) to Xvid because off it's problems. And the CCCP package also messes up DivX encoding.

So install the encoder you plan on using, this guide expects you to use Xvid but other codecs can be used easily.

VirtualDub -> Open your *.avs in VDub

Make sure you set:

Video -> Fast recompress

Next, open up the compression dialog:

Video -> Compression

Select Xvid and click Configure.

Profile @ Level:

Clicking the More button will allow you to select what Quantization type you want to use. I use a custom MPEG matrix.

For bitrates >1500: eqm_v3hr.xcm

For bitrates <1500: eqm_v3lr.xcm

But if your player has the processing power go with h.264

Change Encoding type to Two-Pass - 1st Pass

Dual-Core users Click the "Other Options" at the bottom and set "Number of Threads to 2.

Click OK in all of the dialogs to get back to plain old VDub.

File -> Save as AVI

Make sure you check "Don't run this job now".

Reopen the Compression Dialog and Configure Xvid Settings. Set Encoding type to Two-Pass - 2nd Pass. Set Target Bitrate to what you figured out earlier in YATTA. OK out of everything and save the AVI again. You can choose not to run the job yet if you want to queue up a bunch of movies at the same time. From "File -> Job control" you can then control what jobs(encodes) you want to run.

Subtitles
----------------

Another giant pain in the ass...

There are a million formats for subtitles but find out what your hardware supports and stick with that. My favorite subtitle format is Sub Station Alpha (*.ssa) which supports alot of nice features, you'll see this taken advantage in big Anime releases. But this format is only supported by software media players from what I have encountered so far.

SubRip -> Read the documentation it comes with, it gives you all of the details on ripping them from VOB's.

Subtitle Workshop -> Good program for subtitle syncing and spell checking.

If you run into a DVD with advanced subtitles (top and bottom) your gonna have a hell of a time getting SubRip to put them in order. Get ready for alot of hand editing then syncing.

Chapters
---------------

Do you remember those settings we changed in DVD Decrypter first off?
We should have a chapter file in your rip directory such as "VTS_01 - Chapter Information - OGG.txt".

Fire up your DVD player/software and go to the chapter section. Begin by replacing each respective chapter in the text file from the actual DVD.

Ex.

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=Chapter 1

to

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=Beginning/Intro

You might have an empty chapter at the end which is usually the exact end of the movie. I just remove the 2 lines since they are useless.

Muxing
---------------

It's time to put it all together. Again your media player is going to be the limiting factor on what container you plan on using. Another thing you have to watch for is what your a/v container supports. Does it support DTS, DD 5.1, xvid, divx? Things like that...

The container I favor towards is Matroska (*.mkv) but no DVD Players support it that I know of. It allows multiple video and audio streams with even more advanced features.

mkvmerge GUI ->

Input Tab

Input Files: Add all your video and audio steams

Tracks: Make sure they are in proper order. Video first then audio.

Track Options: Alot of thing you can mess with here. Give each track a proper name and set the languauge. Set the video and audio track that you want to be default

Output Filename: Change that accordingly

Global Tab

File / Segment Title: Movie Name

Splitting: This is where you can split the file up if you want

Chapter File: Load your edited chapter file here.

Click Start Muxing

Other alternative A/V Containers:

AVI-Mux GUI ->
Provides support for AVI contatiner

YAMB ->
Provides support for MP4 contatiner

The End...

Surprised? Maybe the reason it isn't mentioned is that it is no longer available.

Surprised? Maybe the reason it isn't mentioned is that it is no longer available.

Arent you refering to dvddecrypter and not dvdFABdecrypter like he typed. I have started using fab since normal dvddecrypter is no longer making updates. And my dvd43 is not updated.
I have converted over to using fabdecrypter and its a wonderful addition to my Autogk. I now encode my movies to larger sizes than before since I am now using original audio to get the full 5.1 surround and I have enough HDD space to hold them all now.

Arent you refering to dvddecrypter and not dvdFABdecrypter like he typed. I have started using fab since normal dvddecrypter is no longer making updates. And my dvd43 is not updated.
I have converted over to using fabdecrypter and its a wonderful addition to my Autogk. I now encode my movies to larger sizes than before since I am now using original audio to get the full 5.1 surround and I have enough HDD space to hold them all now.
I believe this is a case of mistaken identity. DVD Decrypter is no longer available, DVDFab Decrypter is what I had stated :)

I believe this is a case of mistaken identity. DVD Decrypter is no longer available, DVDFab Decrypter is what I had stated :)
Ah, I see: the problem is what you stated wasn't what you had linked to.

Ah, I totally lost track of this thread. I saw an e-mail informing me of a new post, but I never saw the new post (lol, I got confused since the link in the e-mail keeps taking me to the first page and somehow I failed to notice that it has hit two pages now.) Well, if it's not too late to help you out any, I'll take a shot at it Decepticon.

What I want to do is use QuickTime for pretty well ALL my video watching. I was wondering if there are any good sites with codecs for QuickTime (preferably plugins/codecs available for both Mac and Windows that will do the same thing.
The problem with QuickTime is that it likse to use only internal stuff. I found out this the hard way when I was going to try to use QuickTime to encode some videos for online streaming and discovered that it would not accept ANY of the intermedia video compressions I attempted to use -- nor would even accept such a simple thing as the AVISynth format.

What I would suggest to you is the VLC player, as you've no doubt already read about. This one player will prevent you from having to install a bunch of different codecs and dealing with all that stuff and you can use just the one player for everything. I know, I know, you explicitely said QuickTime player, but this gives you close enough to what you're looking for -- eg a single player that can handle pretty much anything out there. But you know what's probably the best thing about this? You specifically mention using an external harddrive at a university, well, you can just toss a copy of VLC onto that harddrive and you'll be able to play your videos by using it directly from the harddrive without having to install a thing. Probably an especially good thing for universities since their systems usually disallow software installation.

I do not want to install Flash player for Flash, Windows Media Player for WMV, Google Video Player gor their format, etc. etc. just for examples.
Just for the record, on Windows machines you only have to install the codec and use good standard player like Media Player Classic, then no need for a bunch of seperate players.

And now that they're both linking to the same site, I can dl and maybe switch from Shrink? :D Will it finally backup my copy of Resident Evil 2?

And now that they're both linking to the same site, I can dl and maybe switch from Shrink? :D Will it finally backup my copy of Resident Evil 2?

The new version of Fab works with RE2, I made sure the other night. Backedup my RE2, and both my Underworld and Underworld evolution since I am not liking Purevideo with my audio on DVD's. So I am using AC3filter.

Graci!

Somewhat ot, but the dvdidle name got me thinking about my little turbine that could, the BenQ 1655. Nero's drivespeed still the best alternative for quieting that? Mmm...perhaps I'll have a look @ cdfreaks.

So from what i have seen in this thread so far, DVDFab is a good choice for all in one DVD copying. Cause all i want to do is copy all the movies i get from friends, and rental so i have my own. This would be a good app then?

Edit: does it save a copy of the decrypted files to you hard drive?

So from what i have seen in this thread so far, DVDFab is a good choice for all in one DVD copying. Cause all i want to do is copy all the movies i get from friends, and rental so i have my own. This would be a good app then?

Edit: does it save a copy of the decrypted files to you hard drive?

Yes, it is a great app and allows you to decrypt the files to your hard drive.

I have been having issues with a few newer DVDs and the audio not being in sync with the video with using AutoGK. I need to do more reading now.

Given that I simply don't keep up with codecs and the like, I'm trying to view two odd file formats known as .nsv and .mkv. Any thoughts on how I can get these to play? Usually, VLC has all the support that I need, but I'm afraid this isn't the case and most of the early posts in this thread simply boggle my mind attempting to recapture every word.

I think NSV is Nullsoft's propritary container. You may have to play it through WinAMP, but I think that ffdshow (I left a link earlier for the "tryouts" fork, which I strongly recommend now) has a decoder in there somewhere. Failing that, you can google around for a codec and/or slitter to make those files work in a standard player if you are like me and hate using WinAMP as a video player (maybe it's just me, but I feel video players should stay away from audio and audio players should stay away from video...)

MKV is the Matroska container format. IMO one of the best ones made yet -- even the author of the OGM container more or less fully abandoned his container in favor of Matroska. At any rate, you only need one thing. Either a Matroska splitter or Media Player Classic (though you may have to manually set it to handle them -- I can't quite recall off the top of my head. Either way, I actually do recommend MPC as a wonderful, clean, and efficient player well worth replacing WMP and IMO all others as well.) You can download a seperate splitter, however I believe that again ffdshow comes in as being able to handle that sort of thing (lol, you can kind of see why I recommend it so much, eh? It's so universally useful.) If for some reason you don't like ffdshow, I think this is the most official splitter people commonly use: http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

In either case, you still need the codec for the system to handle the actual video itself. These files are containers much like AVI is a container. So if you get any errors complaining about a codec, go track down an appropriate codec (usually XviD will cover all of your needs.) Again, lol, ffdshow handles the greater majority of codecs out there.

EDIT: PS. I almost forgot, but VideoLan Player (VLC) is also a great choice if you run into problems with odd videos. It too can handle a lot of different formats.

Nazo, I can't thank you enough for your valuable insight. Yes, I too despise a proprietary player being required for certain codecs. Personally, I have grown far too attached to VLC in the last 3 years to want to use anything else.

I'll certainly give your suggestions a trial, although I'd rather not throw too much onto the desktop because I plan to reformat real soon.

On a separate note however, are you certain that NSV splitters can be found?

Dark Assassin

Nazo, I can't thank you enough for your valuable insight. Yes, I too despise a proprietary player being required for certain codecs. Personally, I have grown far too attached to VLC in the last 3 years to want to use anything else.
I'm not a fan of VLC at all, but I can see why people like it. Personally I'll stick to Media Player Classic which can always use the latest codecs and such as well as a much nicer interface, but that's just my preference, and I respect people's choice of VLC (though I do not respect people's choice of WMP 7+, lol.)

On a separate note however, are you certain that NSV splitters can be found?
Pretty certain. I see support for it even on a PDA video player and in mplayer, meaning it must be at least a little bit of a standard. If all else fails, possibly installing WinAMP with the video support enabled will install the needed DirectShow filters. Heck, if all else fails, I read that mplayer supports it, so just grab a Windows binary of it and run whatever NSV files you have through that. I sure hope you don't have a lot because I'd hate to think a lot of people were using such a poor choice for their video containers... (Heck, I'll still take AVI even over that -- at least it's a standard -- but why NSV when MKV and even OGM can fill probably any need out there?)

Agreed. But it kills Aero. :(

How so? Well, my guess would be it may be related to the video output method? You might try a different method. VMR9 maybe would be the best bet is my guess. Of course, I suppose you could use software rendering, but as you are already using Vista you'd better have a pretty decent CPU to keep up with it assuming it's a decent resolution video (and decent doesn't necessarily mean "hd" either...)

If you're interested in using MPC in Vista with Aero enabled and you get sick of MPC causing Aero to "blink out" and shut down, this might be of interest:

http://shark.subland.org/Tools/MPC_addon.exe

As noted in the information:

This player will play DVD's in Vista with aero glass enabled. This player will also display streaming RealMedia content once you associate the RAM file extension to this player. I distribute MPC simply as a media player with all internal codecs turned off unlike other codecpack makers that distribute MPC with their package and have almost all internal codecs turned on to make up for their poorly functioning releases. This release creates a shortcut in the 'Common Tools' folder and in the QuickLaunch bar. From within this player you can set filetype associations to always open using MPC. Go into the player and click View from the menu's followed by Options... Next choose Formats - From this screen, you may set associations as you wish.
distribution file information: 2.02 MB - Last Updated April 29th, 2007

This "custom" version of MPC was created and distributed by the guy that maintains the Vista Codec Pack; more info at:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66826

The link to that "custom" version of MPC is on that page, I just copied and pasted the info here for brevity.

Also, there's another version of MPC on that page, in the 3rd post, called the MPC Home Cinema Edition. Not sure what all it's supposed to do but... worth checking into if you're an MPC fan.

I am, always have been, and while VLC is interesting, the fact that it's really coded for so many platforms tends to hurt it in my opinion. MPC is a Windows-only media player, and in that respect nothing can touch it for ease of use and sheer options all contained in one tiny .exe.

Amazing stuff...

Thanks guys, I'll check it out next time I'm watching flics on the pc.

CCCP Combined Community Codec Pack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Community_Codec_Pack
- pretty much the easiest set of codecs that play pretty much anything. easy interface, and is just the filters no hassle from ads or anything else.

dvd shrink
dvd decrypter
ripit4me
only programs you need.. though now i think i have to get anydvd for region issues on vista :(

Try DVD Fab Platinum, it'll replace your triple cocktail there. Tho I've noticed it doesn't burn full speed...that could be my drive or the media tho.

I'm looking to encode some videos out of VIDEO_TS folders...what format would provide a better blend f Quality and Compatability....H.264 or DivX?

ages ago I was able to create movie collage with sound with Movie Maker and FRAPS...and for some reason I can't remember how I did it.
My project is to capture Hollywood scenes, add personal pictures, and sound to make about a 5min collage for presentation.
couple things I could use some help, I need (preferably free softwares) to capture movie scene, edit them, maybe add some slow-motion to some scene, add some games scene via free FRAP version (I know about FRAP-name on top of the screen) and add my own mp3 song.

Is there a newer free movie-making software out there with some slow-motion, some transitions from colored to black and white, preferably be able to match tempo of songs

advance thanks

Hey cats, this thread is great. There's a ton of information to get me well versed on something I've been meaning to for quite some time, but really just never had a good reason. I don't take many videos, but it's definitely something I want to learn, especially for taking my buddy's game DVDs and chopping them for his chalk talks.

That said, I'm working on another project, and my friend and I just filmed a short video yesterday. I have his Sony DCR-HC26, and the video is on the tape, which is in the cam. I now need to extract the video onto my hard drive. Will VDM do this? I've read through this thread, but maybe I'm getting dizzy and the answer is right in front of me...

The cam has a firewire and usb port...my laptop only has a 4-pin firewire port, so I have to get my adapter from my stash and hopefully it will work. If not, I assume I can just use any USB cable that fits the ports, correctamundo?

And once that is addressed, how can I verify that VDM (or whichever app I should use for extraction) is recognizing the camera? FYI, it's connected via USB now, and I'm not sure how to tell if they see each other - cam & VDM)

Thanks in advance...I'm really looking forward to jumping these mini-hurdles and getting this under my belt!

I'm a noob and don't understand most of the jargon and acronyms on this thread. I'm looking for a media player that will accept video from a capture device whose output is USB 2. The TV video source is the tuner in a Panasonic DVD/VHS player. The capture program I use provides a video screen for use during video capture and I can watch TV on it as well, but the screen is relatively small and I'd like to view TV full screen, or at least near full screen. Possible? If so, how? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm a noob and don't understand most of the jargon and acronyms on this thread. I'm looking for a media player that will accept video from a capture device whose output is USB 2. The TV video source is the tuner in a Panasonic DVD/VHS player. The capture program I use provides a video screen for use during video capture and I can watch TV on it as well, but the screen is relatively small and I'd like to view TV full screen, or at least near full screen. Possible? If so, how? Thanks in advance for any help.

Not completely sure but media player classic will play video from camcorders and such. that might work for you. Media Player Classis is not what it sounds like. This is a program alot of coders use to test things and it will play pretty much any codec you can think of. It will play straight from dvd's also. You can try this link. http://gabest.org/

What are you guys using to play Blu-Ray .iso backups? I am using AnyDVD HD package to backup my Blu-rays in .iso format, mount with daemon tools, but can't find software to play.

I use PowerDVD to play my isos, works good (except for the movies it doesn't work on). Gotta love a "standard" that isn't standard.

VLC works awesome with most files, but it still has some issues with subtitles.

What about the editing part? I have the Adobe CS4 set, and some .avis captured from my Canon HV30. How can I encode this into Blu-Ray compatible discs, to burn and watch on my standalones?

I don't really maintain this thread anymore, but, I was reminded of it and thought to update a few links. Most importantly, ffdshow is just completely dead. Ffdshow-tryouts has completely replaced it and is now so far ahead that it would be a mistake to use ffdshow instead anymore. I also removed the XviD and DivX links because, interestingly enough, the latest ffdshow-tryouts actually supports encoding! Among other things, you can select XviD for MPEG4, HuffYUV, and numerous others, so there's no need for added redundancy IMO. Of course, XviD didn't post binaries on their site anyway, so if one wanted it they still had to look elsewhere and I don't have much use for DivX since it went commercial.

I've also pointed to the newer Media Player Classic modifications known as Home Cinema. It adds a bunch of fixes since MPC appears to also be a dead project now. It supports newer renderers for Vista/7 users and it is supposed to stop the video tearing that some people were able to get with some setups.

Does anyone know of anything else that could be considered fundamental so should be in the first post rather than an update post?

Back