The death of RadeonPro

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
What would it take to code a RadeonPro alternative?

It was my surprise the other day to discover that RP's creator, John Matauri, had been recently hired by AMD to work on their "Gaming Evolved" app, and hence, RadeonPro has officially been relegated to the bucket of abandonware.

I asked on his forum if he'd release the source code, particularly being so far into the next version of RP, which was supposed to have been beta-released by now, but as expected, I received no response.

So I'm wondering how hefty of a programming project a RadeonPro clone would be. Would it be more beneficial for a new independent app to be built from the ground up, or might it be feasible that the existing RP could be tweaked or reverse-engineered to handle the whole post-Mantle revolution?

The program was nice but, it always seemed to cause issues with other video background tasks. (Caused issues with IE constantly even with the fix applied.) Well, good for John Matauri, there is nothing like being recognized and hired for your skills.

Shame that RP is being abandoned for a joke like Gaming Evolved.

Like giving up creating the Ferrari to go make a Model A.

Shame that RP is being abandoned for a joke like Gaming Evolved.

Like giving up creating the Ferrari to go make a Model A.

I would not go there just yet. They may have hired him because he is able to introduce new features that will make it better.

It was my surprise the other day to discover that RP's creator, John Matauri, had been recently hired by AMD to work on their "Gaming Evolved" app, and hence, RadeonPro has officially been relegated to the bucket of abandonware

That happened a while ago, actually... back in March.

MSI Afterburner with RTSS (RivaTuner Statistics Server) have adequately filled the role of RadeonPro for me. The only thing I miss is being able to force different clock speeds for different games (Not that it matters now; my 290x has a friggin mind of its own when it comes to clock speeds...)

Other stuff like the OSD and frame-limiter work perfectly fine... dare I say better, even.

Its not abandoned.

John has said he will update it as necessary if new drivers break it.

Just no new features for now.

Back