The DC Contest Parts Donation Thread v2.0

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
It's now time for a new version of the DC Contest Parts Donation since Viper87227 isn't folding for team 33 unfortunately.

The original thread is :

In the past, I have always collected donations, both cash and hardware, simultaniosly to, or just before running a contest. In the past, this has proven to cut things increadably close. So, were going to try something new. In this thread is the info to donate money or hardware whenever you please, which I will store to use in future contests.

Computer Hardware - As long as its decent hardware, I am always looking to take donations. Some stuff I can use older parts, such as CD-Roms, HD's, ect. CPU/MB/Ram, I would like to keep new as possible. Let me know what you have, and I will let you know if I can use it. Please know, if you wish to donate something, that is wonderful, but I will not be able to help with s/h. Contest costs have really been adding up for me, and they will continue to cost me money when it comes time to actually run them. Being 19 and in college, I can only afford so much. So, I do ask that all s/h expenses be covered by the donator.

Cash Donations - If you want to donate money, I am always game to taking that. It would be used to purchase hardware for future contests. I have set up a paypal account and a bank account specifically for donations as to keep it seperate from my personal business. All donations will be put in a seperate bank account where they will sit and collect intrest until needed. Donations are taken ONLY via a money order or check. If you would like to donate, please PM me for my address.

If you have components you want to donate, post in this thread under this format :

-Part name and description.
-Quantity.
-Condition (NIB, used or other).

Contact ICE_9 as well so he can update the parts spreadsheet so we can keep trace of all the donations. If you want to ship the parts to be held, contact ICE_9 and setup a way with him. The current list of donations in a spreadsheed can be found here.

As for money donations, here's how to do by MN Scout :

MN Scout said:
If you don't have parts to donate at this time, but would like to donate money to help fund the giveaways and contests there are a couple ways you can do so.

We are accepting at this time:
  • Money Orders
  • Postal Money Orders
  • Cash
  • PayPal: when sending select "service/other" email: dc.forum.donations[remove @]gmail.com Please don't donate by credit card; PayPal takes a large chunk out.
Please contact me for the shipping address and name for MOs, PMOs, and cash.

Ways your money will help:
  • cover shipping
  • buy odd parts we can't get donated
  • If you have some specific location you want you money to go towards, please tell me and I'll do my best to make sure it is used that way.
I know we all work very hard for our money. Your money won't be spent unwisely, or without much discussion. I've set up a separate bank account that all funds will be moved into immediately. I will be also updating a Google Docs page that will list donors and the range in which you donated (when donating please inform me if you would not like to be listed). Please stick around and participate in the furture giveaways and folding contests!

If you have any questions please email me at dc.forum.donations[remove @]gmail.com or dc.mn.scout[remove @]gmail.com or you can private message me.

-MN Scout

To handle everything, In addition of myself, I would like to have 1-2 other guys to make a small council to decide what to do with the donations.

My own donation would be a :

-Pioneer Pioneer DVR-108BK DVD-RW drive with black bezel.
-Quantity : 1
-Condition : Used but in great condition, pulled from my main PC due to a upgrade to SATA drives.
-Will pay shipping for Canada and CONUS.

Useful for new boxes to install the OS :)

Gigabyte motherboard (Socket 478, 6 DDR slots, don't remember model off the top of my head) with Celeron D 2.4GHz (OCs to 3.2 with good air cooling, 3.6 with water)
Quantity: 1
Condition: Used but works fine

Intel dual P3 server motherboard with two 933 MHz CPUs, 512 MB ECC SDRAM
Quantity: 2
Condition Used and working

Socket A mobo (unsure of brand) with Duron 1200, 256 MB DDR
Condition: Used and working

Soyo full tower case
Quantity: 3
Condition: used, 2 minimally modded, one very modded

Minitower case with PSU
Condition: used and modded

Hard Drive, 20GB (Maxtor I think)
Condition: used, about 6 years old

I'd be willing to help with whatever needed. I'm in the US (California).

I also have some parts to add to the collection, a few older motherboards & CPUs, some RAM, CD-ROM drive, video and NIC cards etc. I'll come up with a good list in the next week or so.

I think just posting lists here is going to quickly get out of hand. Perhaps we can have some sort of central list, either managed by hand in Excel, or a database driven web page to allow people to add available donations to the list. I can assist with this if we would like to go that route.

I see there being two main goals for this: collecting donations to give as contest prizes (newer donated items), and collecting donations to give to those who may have out of date/broken systems and need an upgrade or replacement (older donated items).

While the latter is already carried out in the FS/FT subforum to a degree, it might be handy to have another way to do it for members who are interested in just giving away items.

I'd be willing to help with whatever needed. I'm in the US (California).

I also have some parts to add to the collection, a few older motherboards & CPUs, some RAM, CD-ROM drive, video and NIC cards etc. I'll come up with a good list in the next week or so.

I think just posting lists here is going to quickly get out of hand. Perhaps we can have some sort of central list, either managed by hand in Excel, or a database driven web page to allow people to add available donations to the list. I can assist with this if we would like to go that route.

I see there being two main goals for this: collecting donations to give as contest prizes (newer donated items), and collecting donations to give to those who may have out of date/broken systems and need an upgrade or replacement (older donated items).

While the latter is already carried out in the FS/FT subforum to a degree, it might be handy to have another way to do it for members who are interested in just giving away items.

First of all, I agree to create a sort of excel table listing the available parts for contests. This will help us have a good idea of what prizes to offer and possibly make a few prize bundles off cheap donations (like case+psu+dvd together).

As for the older hardware, I will make a new parts swap thread tomorrow where everyone would get what they need for shipping only.

I would be willing to help with the contests. I'm comfortable with looking into, handling, and managing the donations of money. I'd also be willing to let part donations sit at my place if a donator really wants to send them out right away. Xilikon let me know what you decide. I really want to help get some contests rolling.

Edit: I'm going to take over the donations of money. My goal is to get Xilikon some text on the donation process by Wednesday, so he can edit his first post.
Edit 2: I'm taking MO/checks/cash as of this point. Just PM me and I'll get you my address. I'm going to work on getting a checking account setup, email address, and Paypal account.

I would like to offer my help too. What do you think of having an East coast and a West coast distributer?

What about a mid-states distributor? I live in Arkansas and would be willing to donate my time?

MN Scout and ICE_9, YGPM ;)

I'm currently setting up a good system so we can handle the donations efficienly :)

I will help in any way I can.

I have lots of parts I can donate. Plus... I know a good deal at new egg when I see one.

Plus I am trustworthy... I could handle the donations.

Chieftec Matrix (Silver) ATX case. Good condition, 120mm blowhole added to side panel under latch- points at GPU.

Lian Li PC-60 ATX case. Used, hole cut in bottom to accomodate Mach II flex line. Needs PSU holding plate.

With both ICE_9 and MN Scout ready to take notes of donations, please bring more. I want to start the contests ASAP :cool:

Lian Li PC-60 ATX case. Used, hole cut in bottom to accomodate Mach II flex line. Needs PSU holding plate.

heh, i actually wouldent mind a lian-li for my pc, my stacker is a bit heavier than i was hopeing for lan parties

when i get home i need to make a list of stuff, i am cleaning out my garage and have a LOT of stuff to get rid of, tons of hard drives etc...

heh, i actually wouldent mind a lian-li for my pc, my stacker is a bit heavier than i was hopeing for lan parties

when i get home i need to make a list of stuff, i am cleaning out my garage and have a LOT of stuff to get rid of, tons of hard drives etc...
Wanna trade? :) Add up the combined shipping for our two cases, and split down the middle? (Yours is probably heavier, so I'll help cover.)

Bad link. :(

Sheet should be available for viewing for everyone here. Leme know if this is an issue. This is the starter sheet so suggestions are welcome. I added locations so that some people may be able to work out meet and greets to save on shipping. Please post here for changes to the sheet of if you get rid of something so we can keep it current.

Suggestion for alternates?

edit - Ah, my mistake. thought the show everyone selection was enough.

Everyone is learning something each day :p For now, it seems good.

Wanna trade? :) Add up the combined shipping for our two cases, and split down the middle? (Yours is probably heavier, so I'll help cover.)

i dont think you would want it lol... ive had it for a whiiiiillleeee... lets just say its been through like, 3 water cooling systems and i dont know where the side panels are... lol, it looks like swiss cheeze

ive really neglected my computer, i guess working with computers for 8 hours a day leaves me unamused at working on mine @ home :eek:

If someone's going to act as coordinator or a central repository, please let me know ASAP. I'm moving very soon - the movers come next week to pack up my stuff so I really only have this weekend to get stuff shipped. BTW, I'm located in New Mexico now, but I'll be in Alaska in a month.

If someone's going to act as coordinator or a central repository, please let me know ASAP. I'm moving very soon - the movers come next week to pack up my stuff so I really only have this weekend to get stuff shipped. BTW, I'm located in New Mexico now, but I'll be in Alaska in a month.

Contact ICE_9 and see with him how to dispose of your donations.

I am in AZ. I have room for it. Any chance your headed my way soon?

I am in AZ. I have room for it. Any chance your headed my way soon?

Nope, driving north through Colorado and don't have time to drive out there. Two months ago I was in Tuscon for the weekend, too bad we didn't have this organized then. At least shipping probably won't be too bad due to the short distance. PM me with your address.

Updated first post with money donations note by MN Scout. This means we can now donate money to a separate account and they will be used toward shipping, buying things nobody donated or if money is plenty, buy some nice big prize (video card, processor, motherboard or other big ticket items).

I received a BUNCH of parts from Fenris_Ulf today. I will be going through in the next couple days to make sure it all made it fine and inventory it all. Thanks Fenris_Ulf!!!

You're welcome. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be moving for the next couple of weeks, but I'm trying to check my e-mail regularly. BTW, I'm not sure the watercooling setup is optimal. It may just be simpler to yank it out (it's only siliconed in) and run it air cooled.

Ok. All 5 hard drives appear to have made it ok. I have identified both the dual p3 boxen and am hoping to get them tested as soon as possible. I still have one AMD board and processor to identify and what appears to be an Athlon cooled by an Intel p3 stock cooler. :eek:

We need to get together online sometime in the near future and setup rules or guidelines for this stuff. I can keep this stuff in storage with no issues, I would just rather see it fold or something.

Just a side note to chew on. Another long shot thread might be a power donation thread. Some people on here have free power and might be able to help out by running boxen for others less fortunate with electric bills. Maybe even a donation of a specific KWh per month might help also. Just some food for though.

Ok. All 5 hard drives appear to have made it ok. I have identified both the dual p3 boxen and am hoping to get them tested as soon as possible. I still have one AMD board and processor to identify and what appears to be an Athlon cooled by an Intel p3 stock cooler. :eek:

Socket A and Socket 370 are physically identical, so heatsinks can be swapped easily. The Athlon is only a 1200 or 1300, so heat isn't so bad. And the Intel HSF was actually a pretty decent and quiet cooler - temperatures were no higher than with a fancier aftermarket copper HSF.

any reason this dropped off sticky?

Lethal unpinned it since there is no new activity since last september :(

I got a possible donation from Jon855 but I'm still pulling hair to find what contest to do which is fair to everyone :confused:

I liked the drawing one. Their was one where you could buy tickets for a raffle. Then their were like 3 computers on raffle. Max tickets you could buy was 10. I won one of the computers. I liked that one.

-ATI Radeon 7000 AGP
-Quantity - 1
-Condition - Used / Perfect working/cosmetic condition

-ATI Rage 8 MB PCI
-Quantity - 2

-Artic WRR-52X EIDE CD-ROM
-Quantity - 1

Added to the sheet. If anyone has a part listed on the sheet that is not available any more, please post here!

Back