The Currently Selected Graphics Display Driver Cannot Be Used

alhava

Weaksauce
"The Currently Selected Graphics Display Driver Cannot Be Used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows"

Says my Error. (when I access display properties, settings tab)
I just reinstalled XP SP1. I installed critical updates (SP2, critical security updates, and .NET) And after I installed the newest Radeon Catalyst Drivers, I get this error.

I am running a Shuttle XPC with dual videocards, for 4 monitors.
One Radeon 9800se, and one nVidia Geforce mx4000.

Once I restarted in Safe mode, uninstalled my catalyst drivers restarted in safe mode, and reinstalled them. Upon reentering into XP, everything worked fine! Then, on my next restart, the same Error Came Back.

Searching the net, this is not an uncommon problem, but everyone who solved it did not post their solutions in the forums. This error has surfaced in the past, mostly in Matrox forums.

If anyone knows what is causing this, I would really really appreciate help.

Recent Development: By disabling the GeForce in Device manager, I am able to eliminate the error message. My system restarts and erliably boots back into windows with video card support.

However, when I enable the GeForce, the main videocard drivers cut out again.

This worked just fine before I formatted, so I know it can't be some critical incompatibility.

nVidia and ATI aren't playing nice in your system. Try grabbing a cheap Radeon and using that instead of the Geforce

afraid that's not an option. I just bought the mx 4000, and it was working just fine before I formatted. I've been running multiple monitors for a while, and I remember learning in the past from ATI that ATI cards don't really work well when paired with other ATI cards.

If I uninstall the drivers (both) in safe mode, then reinstall teh drivers (both) in safe mode, it works upon restart.
But when I restart a second time, the problem returns.

Anyone ever find a solution to this issue?.

When using a radeon on the PCIe slot and an onboard nvidia 6150 for the second monitor, I get the exact same problem.

After uninstalling both devices and rebooting, and reinstalling both newest drivers on boot up, I can get dual monitors to work initially. But after the next reboot, it will revert back to a single monitor and give me the BS "The Currently Selected Graphics Display Driver Cannot Be Used" error.

I know the problem is the heterogeneous mix of cards but I had luckily solved this in the past with a previous version of ATI and Nvidia drivers. I just have forgotten which drivers and combination allowed me to do it. Could it be related to the catalyst control center too? I was thinking of removing everything and then installing nvidias graphics software but only installing the ATI driver with no software?

Any input?

It's great to hear that onboard graphics cards can (in theory) be used for dual screens now. The last time I tried it (This shuttle actually), enabling the onboard graphics card disabled the AGP port (I think that was the issue), making it impossible to have onboard graphics that weren't my primary driver. Terribly inconvenient!

Unfortunately, I didn't get a clean solution to the driver problem.

I bought a geforce 6800, and have been playing happily ever since.

Good luck.

Back