The Correct Eyefinity Build(tm)

Squalish

Gawd
Bathe in its beauty as the universe is bent to its will.

obviously.png

May require non-TN displays because of portrait viewing angles; In which case, I'm sorry about your wallet. Only possible once the HD5870 2GB Eyefinity6 edition comes out.

Neither of the 3x1 orientations are satisfactory - we want extra FOV to fit with the curved array, but not so much as to make it impossible to use. 5x1P+1L offers a happy middle ground and can do just about anything you ask of it - unlike 3x1L and 3x1P, it's arguably superior to the 20-30-20 PLP setups.

Lack of crossfire is the only thing holding it back, but you can play games that are too rough for a 5870 or too primitive for Eyefinity on the 1080p landscape. Crossfire + Eyefinity will happen sometime next year, so an upgrade is feasible once we have more stressful games (which some say will be whenever the next consoles come out).

If you're able to actually attain the above setup in IPS panels, it will be nearly future-proofed until OLED Walls are inexpensive... but by then the Robot Wars will have destroyed EA.

First one to benchmark it gets a cookie.

Last edited:
Or you could just get multiple projectors and eliminate the borders :)

But yeah, nice setup.

1080P on either side of a desktop-clamp-mount VESA ARM holding 2x2 of 24" or 26" monitors. Or put the array to the side of both the projectors.

Honestly the greatest would just be a 3x2 of nice plasmas, on a nice curved mount. Mounting of course would be madness; definitely some kind of fixed installation. Its a pity theres still such an insane premium for thin bezel displays, lcd and plasma both, as that would really add numerous levels of usability as well.

The Eyefinity system is display port based, right? Well, funny thing about DisplayPort... a future rev will let you daisy chain displays.

when pc games start catching up with hardware I wonder how viable this will be. I already doubt crysis or arma/operation flashpoint could be played at this resolution.

Small addition:
To compare it with the much-vaunted 6-display config:
16:9 5x1P setup - 2.8125:1
16:9 3x2L setup - 2.6667:1
16:10 5x1P setup - 3.125:1
16:10 3x2L setup - 2.4:1

In case you didn't hear Squalish Eyefinity works on crossfire now with the 9.12 drivers.

I don't like it. The bezels don't bother me when they are spaced out far enough, but the center area has them too close in that configuration. For me three 30" panels in portrait mode are probably the perfect solution.

I think the way it works is that In Hor+ game setups, the center three will be identical to the 3x1 portrait FoV. So you're not really losing anything in those games.

Speakers are blocked by monitors. That's an instant deal breaker for me.

Can't wait to get some intense FPS action while I watch... men's figure skating :D

Yeah, that's a nice brick wall back there... mount them securely? That looks like it's all in the basement too... gotta be cold. :)

Speakers are blocked by monitors. That's an instant deal breaker for me.

He's also blocking airflow to the front of his PC with a nice warm XBOX 360. :rolleyes: The audio receiver is behind where he sits and thus not well positioned for using the remote, or adjusting it via the receiver itself. To me that setup says fail boat.

This is likely a 'rough draft' of his setup - he won't even have the card necessary to game with it for another month.

I'm thinking that a 6' wide table with 6" full-length riser is the way to go - it leaves places to stash soundcardbox, amp, headphones, consoles, cable box, keyboard/mouse, and USB peripherals. Though I'll end up having to move my printer somewhere else. Speakers belong either under the table or up beside the big-screen with a LoS to your head.

So much depends on the particular mounting scheme chosen.

Back