The control for my Logitech Z5500 has died, what to do?

Ladic

[H]ard|Gawd
as soon as I press the power it turns blue for a milisec and then goes back to red (Standby).
They are out of warranty to im SOL (these are actually a replacement, first pair broke too).

I really don't want to spend over $150 in a replacement.

So I guess I could spend $100-$150 on fleabay for a replacement control pod or buy something else.

Best Buy has this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch...?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232&ref=10&loc=01

but they are only 2.1, but they are supposed to be good.

What do you guys recommend?

I had the Promedia 4.1s and I know the reliability might have improved since, but I went through 3 sets of Promedias before my final one died out of warranty. There are massive threads everywhere about the Promedia 5.1 systems failing. Basically it is just a ticking time bomb.

For that reason I can not recommend Klipsch as a company. When I had the 4.1s I thought the treble sounded better than the Logitech Z-5500s I replaced them with, but the bass and overall midrange I thought sounded better on the Logitechs. The Z-5500 were a hell of a system. I had to downsize moving into a small room last year when I worked in Kansas so I sold my Z-5500s.

Now I am looking for a decent 2.1 system, but if I were you I would find a replacement control pod.

Are you in the USA or Europe? If so, I would still try contacting Logitech. Most often than not, they treat their costumers well.

What do you primarily use pc speakers for? If music is a main concern you might take this chance to move towards some nice bookshelves + stereo or 5.1 receiver. I had a 2.1 set of Logitech Z3e (not sold anymore) for about 6 years, finally moved to a cheap Sherwood RX-4109 when it was $79 shipped on Amazon and some $90 Pioneer bookshelves.. what an insane improvement.

Otherwise, Logitech support as pixelninja suggested would likely help you out.

the reason I not go with 5.1 + receiver is because space, no place to put them.
I already contacted Logitech a couple months ago when the LED light on the control pod went out but I was already out of warranty and they don't sell the pod separately.
That's why I am pretty much undicided between control pod or a new system in the 150ish mark

I mostly use for Gaming, some mp3 and very little for movies.

If you're mostly using it for gaming, I would probably bite the bullet and replace the control pod. Whatever is wrong with it, it's probably a simple matter like a capacitor or something. Maybe it could be repaired cheap in the right hands.

Back