The Cody Project

The1stCAV

[H]ard|Gawd
Many of you know me as "Frank" or the guy that builds the rig I keep naming Frank N SteinPC. My current worklog is here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732237

This is a different project and one that has renewed my faith in the common goodness of humanity. This project was initially kicked off with the following post on my FB page where the many modders and companies from around the world stepped up and answered the call:

There is an 11yr old boy that lives next door to me, very well-mannered kid that just lost his father to cancer. His dad was diagnosed with cancer, 12 days later died, this was about 2 weeks ago. We have done many things to help them out as well as rallied the rest of the neighbors to assist with their yard, fix up items around their house, etc, as this has put them in even more of a financial bind. Then I learned that this boy has an intense desire to learn PC's but was always pushed towards playing the piano, etc. His parents did not have a lot to give, this kid has very little and now has lost his father. His desire is to learn about computers and computer graphics. As we all know, most kids these days need a PC if anything for school. So I would really like to help this kid out if possible.

My plan is to reach out to everyone here and see if we could pool resources to help this kid out. I will certainly provide a build log, list those who gave to the cause, and help this kid build it. He will be the one actually doing the build. I know he would love to do this because I suggested I let him know when I was going to rebuild my wife’s PC and asked if he wanted to be a part of it and help - and it was a most emphatic "yes". He would like to learn how to build a PC. I am not mentioning this to him unless I can actually pull it off. I would not ask anyone to ship anything until we know that the build can happen. If I could just do it all I would, but unfortunately I can only give of myself and the excess items I am fortunate enough to have laying around.

I am looking for hardware donations as well as potential cash donations if necessary. I would prefer if we all could pitch in hardware as it keeps things easy for everyone. Please PM me if you are interested in assisting me with this cause. I will not consider asking anyone for anything unless we can get 100% of these items accumulated first, then we can move forward on this. So before I actually say “yeah, ship those items to me”, I would want to make sure we have all the items accounted for that is necessary. It would do no good if one person gives a MB, and no one gives a processor, etc. So I will need to make sure we have everything “pledged” first before actually pulling the trigger on this.

What I have to give:
Keyboard - Saitek Cyborg v7
Koolance CPU-360 CPU cooler or my EK Supreme HF
Primochill Advanced LRT Tubing
Primochill Cooling Fluid
Koolance Flow Meter and Freq adapter
Koolance temp probes
Water Cooling Connectors
6 - Cooler Master 120mm fans
4 - Corsair 140mm fans
550W HighPower PSU
500GB WD Green HDD
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Microsoft Office 2013
Symantec End Point Protection
Logitech 5.1 speakers
internal/external Cables, sleeving, connectors, etc.
Koolance 140mm radiator
Time and patience to help him out

Then everything changed..........most of the parts I was donating were not needed in the end, but what has transpired since this and the efforts to consolidate a working rig for Cody has been totally beyond anything I could have imagined. Many people reached out to offer their excess in hopes that we would be able to put together enough hardware to make this possible. Though we could not use everything that was offered, the thoughts and minds of those that did were in the right place and for that there cannot be enough "thank you's" said.

Thanks to Scott Shropshire for setting the bar for this build with the exceptional hardware donations he has provided as well as the many others that have agreed to donate to this cause.

I will be posting updates of hardware as it arrives and the build log here, so please check back often.

The purpose was not to simply gather enough hardware to build him a rig - but gather enough hardware for HIM to build his rig with my direction. I wanted to use this as an educational distraction and a learning experience. I wanted to empower him with the knowledge he would need to maintain and even upgrade this rig - so in order to do so, he will be the one building it. I will provide him the place, time, direction and assistance in putting it all together. We will be documenting the build in video and in pictures and will at the end provide Cody with a Blu Ray of his build. We will also be placing some of the video on YouTube as well so please be sure to check those links when we get them updated.

Last edited:
We would like to thank the following for your support and donations. Many others offered items to be considered and unfortunately we could not use it all, but thank everyone for their kind offers and thoughfullness.

I would like to thank Scott Shropshire for his overwhelming kindness and support as his donations were the catalyst that has kicked this from being a simple charity build to an epic build for Cody, he has truly raised the bar and providing some unbelivable hardware.

Scott would like to donate the 16GB of Corsair Dominator GT 2666Mhz in memory of Heather Lynn Greer - "Bout Drama's" Sister who also recently passed from Cancer, see details here:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/he...reer&pid=164883211&FBNF=ShareObit#fbLoggedOut

Here is the current donation list and those who have participated - thank you all very much for your involvement, it is sincerly appreciated. I will keep this list updated as things change. There are several more requests out to some companies to see if they are willing to help round out this effort and complete the experience for Cody. So I am hoping to hear back from them soon as well.

xvw.png

Here are some of the pictures already taken of some of the items. I will be posting more as they arrive and provide the credit to those who donated in each image.

2gcc.png

wqi9.png

Buttkicker Gamer II
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gaming/index.htm
81w.png

fau6.png

Last edited:
I reached out to Primochill as noted above in the list and am waiting on a reply to see if they are going to be able to assist.

I also reached out to Amazon, Newegg, Razer, and Fry's (from the outside in) hoping to be able to be directed to the right people to see if they can help with the following items I would like to obtain to round out this incredible effort. If anyone knows a good contact within these companies or have other suggestions, I am thankful for your help if you could PM me.

Items we are still looking for:
1,500VA or higher UPS/Battery Back-up
This is a rig that will house a G1600W PSU, we need a UPS that can handle this power and that of the 30” HP monitor, etc. We have many power fluctuations here and a UPS is critical to smooth operating and long lasting hardware in this rig.

Office Chair – as long as it has a metal shock thingy in the middle
Like most office chairs, there is a shock in the middle between the base and the seat – this is what the Buttkicker will connect to. They do not have an office chair for Cody and need one for him to sit at the computer as well as connect the Buttkicker to.

Razer - Vespula Dual-Sided Gaming Mouse Pad
Razer - Tiamat 7.1 Elite Analog Gaming Headset
Razer - Orbweaver Gaming Keypad
Logitech - HD Webcam C615
Razer - Naga 2012 Expert MMO Laser Gaming Mouse - Black
Nvidia 3D Vision 2 w/Glasses

I nominate everyone for [H]er of the Year awards. Though, Scott is seriously off the "Mohs Level of [H]ardness" scale with that donation!!! \m/

I am speechless right now. This is so beyond incredible I don't know what to write.

You should take pictures of him building and put it in a scrapbook. Something to remind him of the event.

Hello all.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out exactly where to begin here, so forgive me if I ramble a bit.

I've been lurking here for a bit now, as I'm sincerely interested in building my own PC and perhaps modding cases at some point. However, I've never built one and certainly never modded one due to a low income. However, your thread here made me finally register for an account just so I could tell you that I think what you are doing is AMAZING.

Regrettably, I can not contribute. But I felt like I should tell you guys that I find it inspiring and beautiful.

You're restoring my faith in humanity.

I'm excited to see the pics and videos too!

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
Hello all.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out exactly where to begin here, so forgive me if I ramble a bit.

I've been lurking here for a bit now, as I'm sincerely interested in building my own PC and perhaps modding cases at some point. However, I've never built one and certainly never modded one due to a low income. However, your thread here made me finally register for an account just so I could tell you that I think what you are doing is AMAZING.

Regrettably, I can not contribute. But I felt like I should tell you guys that I find it inspiring and beautiful.

You're restoring my faith in humanity.

I'm excited to see the pics and videos too!

Edit: Grammar
Well ty, I hope that we can do some good and help Cody through this very hard time. I cannot thank Scott and the others that have donated enough, their generosity and willingness to participate also restores mine as well. So thank you for your kind words, I hope to get this rolling soon. Scott had some set-backs but has promised to ship the items this week, so we should be starting soon. I will of course be updating with Pics as soon as the items arrive.

So close to starting, yet so far..........lol

LEPA/ENERMAX items arrived today and I want to throw out a big thank you to them for their donations to this project for Cody. Great news though, as I am posting this Scott has given a fixed ship date of 7/2/2013 and he is sending it overnight, so we can get started with this for Cody.

Thanks LEPA/ENERMAX
http://www.lepatek.com/eng/product_list/3/#produkte

8i5.png

lu8.png

s04.png

c0.png

tbln.png

g9u.png

hvd2.png

d71.png

w5l7.png

Is it done yet? :D

Seriously though, this build looks great and those new Lepa fans are awesome. I saw their booth at a lan recently.

Actually Scott is sending the majority of the parts today - so the build should be on soon. Been waiting on his shipment to get rolling. LEPA sent the PSU to a guy who is sleeving it for him in Blue, Green, and Black. He will also be sending some SATA Sleeving I think too for me to sleeve those with. Scott sent a pic last night, he already mounted much of the hardware in the 900D, though there still is plenty of stuff for Cody to do and learn with as we finish it out.

Stay tuned, we are just getting started.............

Im really liking the look of those LEPA fans. If they come in green I may have to look into using them in my next build.

OK Scott Shropshire's parts arrived today - well most of them, there are more coming that should be here Friday or next Monday, but trust me there is quite enough here to keep me busy just taking pics and getting it all ready to start this build.

LEPA is sending more fans. It seems Scott went with 2x 480 rads and 1x 360 rad - and I cannot stress enough that these are the baddest, heaviest, and most beautiful rads I have ever laid my eyes on. I hope after my initial "Blue" pics I am doing that you all can start to see the quality of these radiators - OMG they are beastly and are going to be serious performers, you can just tell.

There is a bag of Bitspower connectors - this looks like a plastic bag with some connectors in it - let this not be overlooked :D this is a HUGE bag and a TON of Bitspower connectors in there. Scott I could build two rigs with this bag - OMG dude this is amazing!

The 900D was simply too big for the lens I had at the time and did not want to go swap it out, so the 900D will be in the next set I do when the rest of the items arrive. This weekend I have a ton planned to do on my personal build Frank N SteinPC, so this stuff is being staged and set aside waiting on the rest of the items to arrive. The build should start next weekend.

Stay tuned - more to come........................

We need to get some sleeving in there. Count Lutro0 Customs in for sleeving and cable management stuffs. Plus any one on one help this little dude wants. =)

This is an awesome thing! Cancer survivor myself, it's definitely one of the more destructive things in life, and this project hits close to home. Computers were one of my only escapes during that trial. Glad to see lots of people giving from their hearts to help someone out in a great way - wish I could donate something more than my well-wishes.

Cody, I don't know you and I will more than likely never meet you, but you've got my thoughts and prayers, buddy. Keep your chin up and don't forget that you've got a lot of people that love you and are rooting for you!

Oh, the build is shaping up nicely, too. Bigtime kudos to all the donors!!!

Dusting off this thread as we will begin it shortly. The PSU has been fully sleeved and is shipping this week. We should begin this build now that I am done with Frank at Quakecon 2013 and able to give Cody and this build the attention they need. :D

Made a contact at Quakecon 2013 w/Razer - no promises, no guarantees, but at least I hope the pending request to them will gain the traction I hope it will for Cody.

This is an awesome thing! Cancer survivor myself, it's definitely one of the more destructive things in life, and this project hits close to home. Computers were one of my only escapes during that trial. Glad to see lots of people giving from their hearts to help someone out in a great way - wish I could donate something more than my well-wishes.

Cody, I don't know you and I will more than likely never meet you, but you've got my thoughts and prayers, buddy. Keep your chin up and don't forget that you've got a lot of people that love you and are rooting for you!

Oh, the build is shaping up nicely, too. Bigtime kudos to all the donors!!!

Thanks so much for the kind wishes, I will be involving Cody in this thread when we begin and will be sure to get him to read yours and others comments. Its really the thought that counts and to know others have gone through it as well I am sure will help him find hope to move on.

Gettting ready to start this build soon, took some more pictures of the parts going into this build, some may be new, some may be of items I have shown before, but its all geek pron anyway lol.

Thanks so much to the people and companies that donated to make this build happen for Cody.

Scott Shropshire - you certainly set the bar on this one man.

LEPA - Thanks so much for all your support

Primochill - words cannot express my gratitude for all you have done

Buttkicker - Cody will love it and I thank you so very much

Al, Dave, David, and the other indivduals, your contributions mean just as much and I thank you all for the donations of hardware for this build.

89h4.png

omha.png

q2qu.png

zelw.png

vmgl.png

910q.png

b82l.png

ffz.png

e9mh.png

4zw7.png

kjis.png

4ty2.png

tdee.png

w2dd.png

69rd.png

5zyj.png

pmva.png

6j4n.png

ujjt.png

l2ff.png

ey0s.png

ot0j.png

pnb5.png

kgr2.png

gjwi.png

koev.png

9ozb.png

8tg.png

vtve.png

du2w.png

gbap.png

ex01.png

m7cn.png

akkc.png

0cuh.png

dtw.png

qk03.png

te0s.png

kble.png

u3al.png

6rek.png

1gxm.png

13l.png

Wow this is awesome, sitting here trying to think of what to type haha lost for words this is really great, way to help out, both my fiances parents had cancer, they survived, but it was hard, can only imagine that kids pain, this is just awesome guys keep up the good work, wish I could donate as well.

+1. Yea wish I had known about this sooner. I have a ton of stuff I could help out with. Will be watching this one.

Back