The circle of Dell...

What's gonna happen?

• The system will ship on Monday and I will be happy happy joy joy.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • The pregress will stall out and boxing will take 2 weeks. I will go crazy and kill everyone I work

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • The progress indicator will move up and down through the list like a yo-yo. Two computer tech's at

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • The laptop will ship to papua new guinea and feed a small family for a number of days.

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters

JBavousett

Gawd
So I ordered a new XPS a few days ago. Not that over sized, un-proven "Show Stopper" that looks like a dwarf desktop...no, I ordered a nice M1710. I looked at the smaller 12" model, it would be more effecient for school, but I'm 100 miles from my desktop and I want to play games without a telescope. To say I "Ordered" the laptop a few days ago means, I went through all the motions of buying the system. Today, when I still had no order confirmation, I called Dell. Seems there was some mis-communication and the order was pending. The payment had been processed, $3,015.88...but Dell was just sitting on it. Ok, I'm ticked, but it's all on the level now. I have the order number and can track the "Progress" online. Here's the rub:

Delivery Estimate: Monday, September 11, 2006 - Wednesday, September 13, 2006.

That's two weeks and 3 days. I can kind of understand that if there's a supply problem...but the status shows:

This information is current as of Saturday, August 26, 2006.

(Checked) Order Processing: Friday, August 25, 2006
(Checked) Pre-production: Friday, August 25, 2006
(Checked) In Production:
(Checked) Kitting
(Checked) Build
(Checked) Testing
(In Progress) Boxing

Are you telling me it takes this major computer manufacturer 6 hours to go from order recieved to fully built and tested, then two weeks to BOX the damn thing? It is 4:06am Central time on Saturday, August 26th. I wonder what the outcome will be. Will it actually ship out Monday, or will I wait in frustration...

Thats pretty stupid. 2 weeks! maybe 1 week maximum i think, ive heard people have been given dates of 1-2 weeks after but recived within a few days, i think dells just retarded.

it will go out prob by friday and youll have it by the 6th

dont believe what you see there and i think the 12" really rocks but then i have a 17" one also :p :p

They may be retarded...but I'm getting a helluva "School" computer.

Description: XPS M1710, Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)
Order Information

Sales Rep: Kenneth Rogers
Order Date: 8/25/2006
Order Group Quantity Item Description

1 1 222-1713 XPS M1710, Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)
1 1 320-4755 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA with Black LCD Cover, for XPS M1710
1 1 311-5891 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 677MHZ,2 DIMM, for XPS M1710
1 1 320-4757 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900, for XPS M1710
1 1 341-3343 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive for XPS M1710
...ETC...

I can't friggin wait. Most of the accent lights change between 16 colors that you can choose from the bios and it has a subwoofer. I'm not expecting the sub to shatter windows, but damn...real bass from a laptop. NEVER NEVER NEVER buy from the dell website. I called them and said I was looking to get it for less than the quote from the web, and a few minutes later, I got a $260 discount. That's what the tax was going to be. I say that's well worth the call. The rep was even able to pull the system specs out of my shopping cart on the website rather than have to go through all the built options verbally. From start to finish, I was on the phone for about 15 minutes. Including hold time.

The only brand name computers I've ever been happy with were Dells. From my first CPx 750GT laptop to my current 4600 and 2400 Desktops, I've been more than satisfied. The HP's and Compaq's that I've owned were dung heaps, and the 2Ghz Gateway I bought a few years back was so slow I thought I was in a coma. If you want raw performance, get a Sager NP5950 with an SLI chipset...if you can toss $4000 at a laptop that is. If you want reliability...well, I've only had ONE problem with a Dell, a HDD failed. I had a new one the next day. Good old Dell. You either love it or hate it.

when I ordered my laptop I got an email saying that the estimated ship date was 1/03/2007, no joke I still have the email. But then the laptop shipped out later that day, so dell can be messed up sometimes.

They don't just keep those machines with all of the high end add on just sitting on a shelf. When you ordered that machine it had to be assembled. They may not have had some of the components in stock.

Say they do sell it with the 7900gt, but they're out of them. What should they do? Take to 7900's off of the list? No, they let you order what you want. Then give you a lead time that approximates the availability of the videocard. (The proceeding has been a hypothetical)

Better to be told 3 weeks and wait 2 than be told 2 weeks and wait 3.

JBavousett said:
I really wish people would friggin READ the previous posts before they start talking and explaining stuff...I addressed all this in my first post.
And I really with people would friggin READ the rules before a: insulting people; and b: making gigantic sigs.

as to what happens in each stage...read.

if you really wanted it right away you should have ordered it from the outlet.or just bought it from ebay. you didnt so you are going to have to wait and its normal to be stuck in boxing for a week or more so really if you dont get it by the 11th then bitch and moan

JBavousett said:
I really wish people would friggin READ the previous posts before they start talking and explaining stuff...I addressed all this in my first post.

I read it. I understood it.

It was my intention to explain that what they tell you isn't always true. Any Star Trek fans here? Scotty tells Geordi to always tell the Captain that it will take longer to fix the problem than he thinks it really will. That way, when he fixes the problem faster, hes a hero.

I was just trying to steer this away from becoming a Dell bashing thread.

Well, the way it looks, you wont be getting your laptop. It's going to become food for some helpless people.

JBavousett said:
So I ordered a new XPS a few days ago. Not that over sized, un-proven "Show Stopper" that looks like a dwarf desktop...no, I ordered a nice M1710. I looked at the smaller 12" model, it would be more effecient for school, but I'm 100 miles from my desktop and I want to play games without a telescope. To say I "Ordered" the laptop a few days ago means, I went through all the motions of buying the system. Today, when I still had no order confirmation, I called Dell. Seems there was some mis-communication and the order was pending. The payment had been processed, $3,015.88...but Dell was just sitting on it. Ok, I'm ticked, but it's all on the level now. I have the order number and can track the "Progress" online. Here's the rub:

Delivery Estimate: Monday, September 11, 2006 - Wednesday, September 13, 2006.

That's two weeks and 3 days. I can kind of understand that if there's a supply problem...but the status shows:

This information is current as of Saturday, August 26, 2006.

(Checked) In Production:
(Checked) Kitting
(Checked) Build
(Checked) Testing
(In Progress) Boxing

Are you telling me it takes this major computer manufacturer 6 hours to go from order recieved to fully built and tested, then two weeks to BOX the damn thing? It is 4:06am Central time on Saturday, August 26th. I wonder what the outcome will be. Will it actually ship out Monday, or will I wait in frustration...

boxing means it's being shipped from their over-seas manufacturing plant. It'll be there on the 11th.

JBavousett said:

your sig is WAY too long. 10 lines MAX

Sig is fixed. I was trying to get the text size smaller...no reason for all that, so it's gone. Anyway, got an update today...

Where is My Order?

Delivery Estimate: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - Monday, September 04, 2006
This information is current as of Monday, August 28, 2006.

(Checked) In Production:
(Checked) Kitting
(Checked) Build
(Checked) Testing
(Checked) Boxing
(Checked) Shipping Prep: Monday, August 28, 2006
(Checked) Ship Date: Monday, August 28, 2006

Your estimated delivery date can be up to 5 additional business days based on shipping method chosen at time of order.

Congratulations on your new purchase and...

Thank you for purchasing Dell!

Geeze....now I'm all giddy. I have my X-Plane 8 DVD's all set up, ready to install this 60 gig game and see how it runs. My desktop has a PNY 6600 so I'm hella excited about the 7900 in the XPS. Still not sure what color I'm gonna set the lights to, maybe green.

ARGH! ANGER! HATRED! EVIL SCUM ON THE BELLY OF SATAN!

Ok, Guess what? The phone rep forgot to mention that over the weekend Dell was upgrading to the CORE 2 DUO CHIPS! I was a little ticked, especially when I saw that there was NO price difference. Yeah, that's right. Exact same base cost.

::Seething anger burns through my eyelids::

Ok, I called Dell's "Legendary" support and got an XPS expert in India. Fortunately it sounds like he was educated in England, so I could easily understand him. He worked with me, got the shipment turned around (I got a tracking number from UPS today, the laptop left Nashville about 6 hours ago) and he re-submitted my order with the same specs plus the new T7200. He even gave me a $75 discount on top of the previous discount.

My anger subsides a bit, but I'm ticked that I will have to wait yet another week to get the laptop...I wish the sales dude had told me that the new CPU was going in...the guy I talked to today told me that they have known for the last two weeks.

So now I guess the laptop I ordered really WILL go to a starving third world family.

the C2D switchover hasn't exactly been a secret. You dont ask, you dont get. :rolleyes:

Wrong, I called 4 people their.

They all must have been trained to feed bullshit.

Only 1 dude told me it might release this week, but he said thursday.

Another girl told me she had never heard of core 2 duo and wanted to kniow if I was talking about turion systems because of the 64 bit techonology.

Another girl told me that it would be 6 months because dell needed to tweek on the processor before they used it. - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

One girl I couldnt understand so I hung up.

you dont deserve a Dell. you should go buy from some other company. you complain at every step. unless you were in a cave everyone knew when meron was coming but you still ordered.

you dont have anything nice to say and i think you should buy a compaq and other then that i need to laugh at you. maybe you'll get lucky itll be doa and we can enjoy more of your baseless ranting

Cloud15x said:
Wrong, I called 4 people their.

They all must have been trained to feed bullshit.

Only 1 dude told me it might release this week, but he said thursday.

Another girl told me she had never heard of core 2 duo and wanted to kniow if I was talking about turion systems because of the 64 bit techonology.

Another girl told me that it would be 6 months because dell needed to tweek on the processor before they used it. - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

One girl I couldnt understand so I hung up.

dupe account?

also, don't ask dell, you really think they're going to have a clue? People around here knew.

JBavousett said:
ARGH! ANGER! HATRED! EVIL SCUM ON THE BELLY OF SATAN!

Ok, Guess what? The phone rep forgot to mention that over the weekend Dell was upgrading to the CORE 2 DUO CHIPS! I was a little ticked, especially when I saw that there was NO price difference. Yeah, that's right. Exact same base cost.

::Seething anger burns through my eyelids::

Ok, I called Dell's "Legendary" support and got an XPS expert in India. Fortunately it sounds like he was educated in England, so I could easily understand him. He worked with me, got the shipment turned around (I got a tracking number from UPS today, the laptop left Nashville about 6 hours ago) and he re-submitted my order with the same specs plus the new T7200. He even gave me a $75 discount on top of the previous discount.

My anger subsides a bit, but I'm ticked that I will have to wait yet another week to get the laptop...I wish the sales dude had told me that the new CPU was going in...the guy I talked to today told me that they have known for the last two weeks.

So now I guess the laptop I ordered really WILL go to a starving third world family.

You got a free upgrade, they lost money on turning your order around to get it returned (AFTER it shipped), and you're still complaining, even though YOU didn't do your research??

Exploit-

The Dell Premium Solution packages is 2 dollars more expensive than the basic 1 year warrenty online.

Exploit like mad, canceled my order, and re oreded with a 4 year complete coverage, instead of 2 year complete coverage for 200 dollars less. Its 1702.88 now

They need to give it a buffer time in case something goes wrong. Its better if they give you a date 2 weeks out and ship it to you a week early then saying it will be done tomorrow and then ship it in 2 weeks. I deal with Dell all the time for work and that is just how they operate.

Back