The cheap home 10Gb switch

dgingeri

2[H]4U
OK. So, I have a "performance" machine, a server I use for training for MCITP and Hyper-V certification, 2 dual port 10Gb CX4 cards, an established network where my roommate uses my printer through the server, and a Comcast cable internet connection. I want to be able to use the 10Gb connection between my server and my main system for file access and take the hard drive out of my main system. The problem is that I would normally have to create a second full network and subnet and use the server to route internet traffic. I'd rather keep everything on one network, but it costs about $13k for a 10Gb CX4 switch that would have a 1Gb uplink to another switch.

I came up with this concept to get a working 10Gb switch for home/training use without spending $13-15k (and thousands more on the infrastructure needed for it) on an actual 10Gb switch. It's an "outside the box" type idea, but it works for one machine and may work for more. BTW, if any one is looking into this, 2-port CX4 based 10Gb cards are running under $600 right now on eBay and a few other places. I managed to get two for this very purpose.

Materials:
Home internet connection with router
8 port 1Gb switch
1-4 desktop machines with 1Gb connections
home "server" machine for file sharing with both 1Gb and 10Gb network cards running Windows 2008 R2 with Hyper-V (this is the key)
1 performance desktop machine with low local storage (maybe just an SSD to make it nice and fast) and a 10Gb network card
10Gb cable, either fiber, CX4, or SFP based cable.

Set up the performance machine hooked by 10Gb to the server, and the server connected to the rest of the 1Gb network. Leave the rest of the network as it is.

Set up the server with Hyper-V. You don't need any virtual machines, but having Hyper-V service running makes this work. Set both physical network connections to connect to the same virtual network in Hyper-V and delete any extraneous virtual networks. Now, the performance desktop should get full traffic, including DHCP and DNS, from the 1Gb network, and the server should operate normally through a single virtual connection on the virtual network.

Granted, this is theory, and I haven't tested it yet, but it is possible. To expand on this, there is also a possibility of using multiple 10Gb cards to arrange multiple systems and bypass having a real switch. With this theory, I could potentially have one more system hooked by 10Gb to my server and keep it all on one system. Granted, it wouldn't perform as well as a full switch, from latency or full bandwidth, but for a small business or home use, it could save money.

I have the next couple days off to do a rebuild on my main machine and clean up my apartment after a move. I'll post how it works. I'll find any problems and let you guys know how to fix them if I figure out how.

This is going to be a fun weekend. :)

Back