The CFM question

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
I'm running a WC loop on a i7 920 current OC is 3.6 Ghz the temps are around 85c full load.

WC info
Danger Den Laing D5 fixed speed pump
Heatkiller 3.0 lt
bay res
Swiftech 120x2 radiator (MCR220-QP)
1/2 clear flex tubing, distilled water loop.
Fans: Scythe SFF21E 49 CFM X2

When i OC the i7 to 4 Ghz the temps reach up to 100c on load. I feel the tubing going to the cpu block and its very warm so there isn't addiquate cooling from the radiator to the cpu block.

So my question is, how much CFM is enough to cool the i7 at 4Ghz full load? I was thinking about upgrading to the 110 CFM Scaythe fans, with a fan controller. What are your thoughts

More important than the CPU speed - is your voltage. What do you need to run your CPU at, voltage wise, to hit 4ghz?

A double radiator with ~50cfm fans can certainly deal with an i7 at 4ghz, but not in the upper voltage range.

If you don't mind spending a bunch, your plan (the new 110CFM scythe's on a controller) would do a fine job... But it's not exactly the cheapest option. Perhaps Petra's Yate Loons would be a better choice for your wallet, and perform within 5% of those scythe's.

I believe i pushed it up to 1.4 to get 4 Ghz, don't remember exactly.

I hear the Yates fail when mounted on the horizontal, which is why i chose the scythe's, plus they are only 10 bucks for the 110 CFM fans.

The 49 cfm will handle the load at 1.3v and running at 3.6 GHz but when under full load it started to get hot

I hear the Yates fail when mounted on the horizontal, which is why i chose the scythe's, plus they are only 10 bucks for the 110 CFM fans.

All sleeve bearing fans will fail eventually when run horizontally - typically within 1-3 years. I had to swap out three horizontal yate fans, in 5 years of service.

I'm curious to why is that?

I'll change that quote, hows this sound

All sleeve bearing fans will fail eventually, because they suck!

The fans i bought are quiet as can be, much better IMO

I would rather pay a few $ more and get great quiet, long lasting fans than ones that may die in 12 months

Its because its a mechanical bearing... orientation determines what parts of that bearing handle the weight of the fan blades as they spin, causing friction and wear. Changing the orientation of the fan can change where the placement of the weight is, and what part of the bearing the weight, and therefore friction, gets placed on.

Back