The Cd-roms that would not eject.

Syndicated_Death

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a computer here with 2 cd roms in it. neither of them will eject via button.. ok no biggie grab a paperclip right? well I did the paperclip trick, but as soon as the drive eject they automatically pull back in. 2 separate different drives. any idea what might be causing this?

Update! I crammed a cd in there while it was off. the drives are functional in the reading and use of CDs. also if there is a Cd in the drive it WILL eject but no cd= no eject

Thats a pretty strange issue, I would have to say it is either a problem with the IDE port/MB or cable sense both are doing the same thing. if you have another IDE port try hooking it up to it, and also try a differant cable. Otherwise I am clueless.

so, in case anyone cared... the drives were bad. I replaced them both and the replacements are fine. just odd that 2 different drives would go bad the same exact way.

nah my computer Karma is fine. I can't say the same for the person who bought the fry's computer disaster. the power supply, and the 2 cd roms took a dump in that thing. but I got them all patched up and on their way.

I have the same problem with my drive, but if I wiggle the tray whle pressing the button it will eventualy open lol...>Too Lazy to replace it, worked the same on old Mb as it does the new one.

:eek:Were they being used as drink holders?

jk. I've run into this before. Sometimes if the pc crashes while accessing the cd, they will damage the drive.We had a some at work go bad when a test pass locked up during cd access, and the little plastic ring that you set the disks on, got so hot from the motors running all weekend that it melted all over the disks, pretty much ruining all the drives.
At least they are pretty cheap. ;)

Wait, you used the manual eject button with the drives still powered, or did they retract mechanically somehow?

Back