The Bodyswap (modernizing a classic)

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been leaning in this direction. The only reason I'm hesitant is because then I would have to put the drive cage back in to mount it. Not sure how much this would affect the air flow.

It would be better looking than a gaping hole in the front of my case. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement 3.5" drive bay cover? I'm 99% positive that they don't make them for this case any more.

A bit of an update - I dremeled down the excess on the rivets; took some pics I'll upload when I get a chance. The panel fits better, but it still won't completely slide on.

Also, I got some feet! They're just el-cheapo ones I found at Frys for $0.50 a piece, nothing special, and they're just taped on with double sided mounting tape, but they do the job. I'll take some pics for those too in a bit.

Cool on the feet, I wonder if there is a way to mount the controller without the hard drive cage. I hope everything comes along smoothly for you, I was cleaning my case removing the old hd's and putting a fresh copy of win 7 on my computer when the cooler broke off of my graphics card... yay. Now im using the leg burner.

Cool on the feet, I wonder if there is a way to mount the controller without the hard drive cage. I hope everything comes along smoothly for you, I was cleaning my case removing the old hd's and putting a fresh copy of win 7 on my computer when the cooler broke off of my graphics card... yay. Now im using the leg burner.

:eek: Oh no! If it just fell off, I almost have to lol at that... or was this collateral damage? I hope it wasn't the Coolermaster CoolViva Z1... :worried:

What do you mean by leg burner?

:eek: Oh no! If it just fell off, I almost have to lol at that... or was this collateral damage? I hope it wasn't the Coolermaster CoolViva Z1... :worried:

What do you mean by leg burner?

No it was the stock cooler, lol, I didn't even touch it it just fell, the plastic was very brittle and broke. The leg burner is the alienware laptop. this thing is hot all the time. It idles somewhere around like 42-48 C

Now that I can lol at. HA! Well, maybe this is even more excuse for you to get another Coolviva Z1. Hope you can fix it soon with little trouble.

Good question. Right now it's getting all the air it needs through the missing 3.5" drive bay cover's hole, ha. I considered cutting holes in the front window plexi, but it would have been hard to get something that looks good with the tools I had available, so instead I put some small nylon washers between the window and the plastic panel. There's a small gap all the way around. Also, there was originally a fan in that area (80mm) that came with the case, so it has some vent holes in the bottom of the front panel as well.

When the 3.5" bay cover is back in, the fan might be slightly "starved" for air, but one of the main reasons that fan is there is for looks (I like the LED's). The 3x 140mm's on the bottom should supply more than enough air to get it through the case.

Good question. Right now it's getting all the air it needs through the missing 3.5" drive bay cover's hole, ha. I considered cutting holes in the front window plexi, but it would have been hard to get something that looks good with the tools I had available, so instead I put some small nylon washers between the window and the plastic panel. There's a small gap all the way around. Also, there was originally a fan in that area (80mm) that came with the case, so it has some vent holes in the bottom of the front panel as well.

When the 3.5" bay cover is back in, the fan might be slightly "starved" for air, but one of the main reasons that fan is there is for looks (I like the LED's). The 3x 140mm's on the bottom should supply more than enough air to get it through the case.

Yes true, did you take a look at my GPU fix? ill be ordering a coolviva for the card soon.

Yes true, did you take a look at my GPU fix? ill be ordering a coolviva for the card soon.

lol, I did. Check out the ghetto mods section. Let me know what kind of temp differences you see with the CoolViva... I'm finding that with a fan it works quite well.

Also, your CPU fan might work pretty well on its own. It doesn't look like there's much room between the CPU fan and the graphics card to put an 80mm fan on top of the radiator on top of the card... the stack on mine is about 2 inches thick. If you can't fit one and the CPU fan provides enough airflow to keep your GPU cool, it should be a nice quiet solution for you :)

lol, I did. Check out the ghetto mods section. Let me know what kind of temp differences you see with the CoolViva... I'm finding that with a fan it works quite well.

Also, your CPU fan might work pretty well on its own. It doesn't look like there's much room between the CPU fan and the graphics card to put an 80mm fan on top of the radiator on top of the card... the stack on mine is about 2 inches thick. If you can't fit one and the CPU fan provides enough airflow to keep your GPU cool, it should be a nice quiet solution for you :)

Yeah i think it will fit, If not ill just move it down to the second slot, And even if it doesn't the CPU cooler moves a lot of air when its on full blast. The fans on it go up to 2600 rpm and can get very loud.

Alright everyone, just letting you know I haven't forgotten about this project. Between the Easter holiday, my wife on spring break (she's a teacher), and being amidst our busy season at work, I just haven't had time to keep up with it. I will have some down time this weekend though, so look for at least a little bit of an update soon.

Alright everyone, just letting you know I haven't forgotten about this project. Between the Easter holiday, my wife on spring break (she's a teacher), and being amidst our busy season at work, I just haven't had time to keep up with it. I will have some down time this weekend though, so look for at least a little bit of an update soon.

Cool, That's good to hear. Guess what? Ok ill just add in what i was going to ask you to guess. I got the coolviva in and proceeded to break it.

get your CoolViva installed?

Yes, i had to bend the blue aluminium fins on back side of the card. as i was doing that i broke the copper base off. So i went about using a mixture of the coolermaster thermal paste and some of my free sample of ICPerihelion to afix it back on put it on and forgot to put a few ram sinks on but oh well it is on now and works well. Under 3DMark11 the GPU peaked out a 45C with all of the air flow in my case it stays cooler without the fan.

Last edited:
Mad Props dude, I actually started to revive an old computer too. What are you doing with the old parts?

Mad Props dude, I actually started to revive an old computer too. What are you doing with the old parts?

Thanks! I'm enjoying fixing up an old box... hopefully yours works out for you. As you can see, I'm having a few issues with mine. Part of the fun though, right?

As for the old parts, I put them in my "new" Azza case that was originally for this build. I have about 5 hard drives laying around, so I'm trying to set up an ubuntu file server. I'll throw some pics up of the status of that too later tonight.

Sorry for being out of the loop for a bit here... it got busy for a couple weeks and we decided to switch from Comcast to AT&T. Comcast cancelled on time. AT&T never flipped the switch. I didn't have internet for a while :eek: Just got it fixed last night, so I've got a few pics I've been meaning to post that should be coming soon here.

Thanks! I'm enjoying fixing up an old box... hopefully yours works out for you. As you can see, I'm having a few issues with mine. Part of the fun though, right?

As for the old parts, I put them in my "new" Azza case that was originally for this build. I have about 5 hard drives laying around, so I'm trying to set up an ubuntu file server. I'll throw some pics up of the status of that too later tonight.

Sorry for being out of the loop for a bit here... it got busy for a couple weeks and we decided to switch from Comcast to AT&T. Comcast cancelled on time. AT&T never flipped the switch. I didn't have internet for a while :eek: Just got it fixed last night, so I've got a few pics I've been meaning to post that should be coming soon here.

Isn't AT&T data capping now?

Isn't AT&T data capping now?

That's the word on the street... if they are, it's still something like 150GB. In all honesty I have no clue how much bandwidth I use, but I would have a hard time believing I used THAT much.

Bender_Back_Baby.jpg

Ok, so here's some pics of the rivets on the inside of the side panel.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

There was quite a bit of material that came off of the length of the rivets. I tried to put the panel on, but alas, it still won't latch. BUT, it at least stays on now, which is a little bit of an improvement :)

IMG_0529.jpg

So that was a little bit of a bummer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up cutting a few slots in the case frame to accomodate the bumps on the panel from the rivets. Even if I get some sort of threaded rivet/screw combo or reversed the rivets, there would still be interference with the latching mechanism. The panel essentially needs to sit flush on the outside of the case in order for the hooks to grab.

So in the meantime, I got a trash can :D

IMG_0538.jpg

...cut it up with my dremel,

IMG_0540.jpg

...and prepped it for its final shape for the top vents (I'm going to try to double- or triple-up so you can't see through the vents as much).

IMG_0548.jpg

I looked into getting a metal shears like these, but the cheapest ones I could find were $30. Looks like it's back out to the porch to do some more dremeling.

I'll get some pics up of my "old box" in just a bit... gotta take 'em.

As promised, here's some quick 'n' dirty pics of my old rig.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Specs in sig as "GreenMachine." The 120 GB drive is a laptop drive that I need to get an adapter for yet, so it's not in the box. But it'll be in soon.

That reminds me. I'm going to have to come up with new names for my two rigs as they're not exactly "GreenMachine" or "RedDevil" anymore... maybe I'll make a poll or ask for suggestions later when everythings done :p

I made a bit more progress as I had time. To start things off, I cut up the trash can into usable strips of mesh.

Before
IMG_0556.jpg

Cut mesh
IMG_0557.jpg

After
IMG_0559.jpg

I also cut some notches in the case to accommodate the rivets in the side panel
IMG_0561.jpg

Aparently it wasn't quite good enough. The panel now rests in a postion where the latching mechanism starts to hold. However, I can't slide it on all the way yet. I think it has to do with interference on the bottom left and bottom right rivets / cutaways.
IMG_0560.jpg

Also, I made another purchase :D. Thanks to bbs lm-r, I've got a 4-channel fan controller, 4 fans (for another build) and a couple filters on the way. Should be here any day now! Stay tuned.

nice man im really digging it. The cablemangement holes look almost professional.

I think you should put some type of filtering on the bottom intakes, especially since you seem to have carpet, that pc will look worst that the your original (dust wise) within a few weeks. Also, your front intake needs some venting to pull fresh air through. otherwise its nearly pointless as an intake fan. WIth the amount of bottom intake you have you might just want to scrap the front intake alltogether

Thanks for the comments cj3waker!

You're right about the filtering. I'm planning on running this on my desk (not on the carpet), but it still does collect a bunch of dust. It's actually started to accumulate since I've been running my system in the case (even with the side panel off). I'm kind of surprised how FAST it's collecting dust, but I knew it would at some level. Once I have this side panel figured out this will be something I'll have to consider.

As far as the front fan goes, you're also right that it's a little "starved" for air. It does get some though, between the bottom intakes and a small gap all the way around the plexiglass due to some nylon washers I have between it and the front panel. The main point of this fan though isn't for the air flow per se. The three 140mm's on the bottom take care of that for the most part. The front fan was chosen simply because I like the look of the LED's in front of the case. I have to add some extensions to the wiring still, but I have some green cold cathodes that will be going in the case too, so I think the fan provides a cool little detail to the case to keep things interesting.

Well, good news is I made even more progress tonight... bad news is my camera batteries died, so I can only show half of it for now.

I hooked up my new fan controller, and it's great! Fits well, looks good, and most of all, I can hear myself think again!

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

My original intent was to paint the fan controller face plate white to match the rest of the case, but the black brushed aluminum looks so good I didn't want to ruin it in case I ever ended up with a black case again someday. Besides, I've got black accents with this case design anyway, so it's not ENTIRELY out of the color scheme.

The other part I worked on tonight was putting the mesh on the inside of the top panel vents. I used double sided mounting tape, and so far it's holding well. The finished product turned out looking really good too, and I only used one layer of mesh. I thought another layer of tape+mesh would be too thick to allow the top panel to fit properly. After the interference issues I learned about with the side panel, I didn't want a take 2 here.

I'll get pics up as soon as I can after my camera batteries charge :eek:

Back