The BFG Support Saga - Are we there yet?

AuxNuke

Gawd
**UPDATED** 2/2/06 - The "Solution" Post #19
**UPDATED** 2/6/06 - Not Again... Post #21
**UPDATED** 2/9/06 - Success!!! Post #24

Lifetime warranty eh?

I bought a nice 'lil BFG 7800GTX 256mb from newegg slightly over 2 months ago. I picked BFG mainly because it came with a sweet looking copper heatsink, free COD2, and a lifetime warranty. I paid for overnight shipping and sure enough, the next day I was off and running with this beautiful new card.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a slight noise comming from my case. After taking her apart and listeing closely, I found that the noise was comming from my GPU fan. Another day went buy and the noise was even more noticeable when the system was under load. Time for a call to BFG support!

Call # 1 - 49 min hold time: I explain my situation to the tech on the phone. He is very friendly and says "Ah yes there must be something wrong with the fan" and sets up an RMA for me. Since this is the only video card that I have and it still "works," I set up an advanced RMA instead of the normal exchange. Since I was using this method, this cost me $15 for shipping. I was ok with that knowing they were doing me a favor. I was told to fax a copy of my sales receipt to them and they would ship it out the next day. I then set forth to explain that the card I have is the "newer" edition with the copper heatsink and the blue LED light as seen below:
original_7800.jpg

I asked if that would be the same card that I would be receiving as a replacement. The tech said "Yeah, I'll mark it on the form so that the factory will know to send the right card. I don't think we have any of the aluminum heatsink cards anymore." That sounded good to me. I'll wait for my card!

Only 3 business days after I called their support, the replacement card was here! I quickly opened the box in anticipation of popping in my card and heading right to my last save point in FEAR (Didn't want to play on a card with a busted fan :-/). Then... I looked into the box... and what do I see? This:
rma1_7800.jpg

Obviously, thats not the same card I ordered! Sheepishly, I take my old card out and put this new one in so that I can at least have a workable card until I can call them again and let them know about the mistake. I figure I'd play about 20 mins of FEAR before heading out to dinner. Everything was well and good until about 15 mins into the game, small purple artifacts started appearing on the bottom right hand corner of my monitor! I saved the game and quickly exited to the desktop to check the temps...

86 degrees C !!!

WHOA HOT. I know that these cards can run upwards of about 90 C or so but my original card with the copper heatsink ran at about 70 C MAX... and that was after hours and hours of gaming. NOT COOL (Literally).

Call # 2 - 12 min hold time: I talked to another friendly support tech and told him of my issues. He was apologetic about the bad replacement card and offered to set up another advance RMA, this time, with no shipping cost. I was instructed to send the original card back with the 1st label, wait for the 3rd card, and then ship the 2nd card back to them. After I was given instructions, I made it adamently clear that I did not receive the correct replacement card and wanted the correct card with the copper heatsink to be sent. The tech said "I don't have much control over that put I can put a note on the form so the factory can see it. I know we are low on 7800GTX stock right now." I have heard that one before and reluctantly said thank you...

Before I even had a chance to box up my card and send it back, the 3rd card (2nd replacement) showed up today, just 1 1/2 business days after I called! This time, I slowly opened the new box to see what mysteries lied underneath. To my dismay, this is what I found in the box:
rma2_7800.jpg

UG. I tested this "replacement" out and luckily, it does not have the heat problems that the 1st replacement did (78 C under load). BUT, it is still not the card that I had originally ordered :( I guess with most people, this would not be a problem as both cards perform identically... but for me, one of the reasons I bought this particular card was for its copper heatsink and better cooling properties / looks.

All in all, I'm reluctant to call BFG for a 3rd time tonight and request a 3rd replacement. I have a feeling I won't get an answer that I like and, in all fairness, they have been very quick to respond / ship / help. My question to all of you is, what would you do?

Sorry for the long post and many thanks in advance,
~Aux

If you paid for the newer card I'd tell them to give you the newer card or threaten legal action.

All companies have problems like this, people seem to have talked BFG support to be like GODS around message boards, and then when the make screw ups they have to post about it

Be lucky you dont have a PNY, or they might not even RMA the 1st one

chinesepiratefood said:
All companies have problems like this, people seem to have talked BFG support to be like GODS around message boards, and then when the make screw ups they have to post about it

Be lucky you dont have a PNY, or they might not even RMA the 1st one

LOL Really, I never had PNY. But heard stories is it true pny is that bad?

Your first card was a GTX and now they're sending you a GT as a replacement?

CrimandEvil said:

nah, hes getting another gtx but the older version

CrimandEvil said:

No his first card was a GTX with a newer style cooler that had copper on it. Think if it as GTX v2.0. Now he is getting what first came out when the GTX line was hard-launched. The original cooler, GTX v1.0. He wants to get back what he paid for, thats the 2nd style cooler.

Yeah he may be getting back a GTX because he paid for a GTX but he ordered the GTX because it had the newer style cooler but since there was a problem with it, he had to RMA it and now he is getting the wrong thing back.

I asked cause the line on the invoice says "7800 GT" for both of them.

CrimandEvil said:
I asked cause the line on the invoice says "7800 GT" for both of them.
Yeah I was scared when I saw that at first also! Yet on each card, a sticker on the back says 7800GTX. They are also picked up by windows as a 7800GTX, play like a GTX and benchmark like a GTX lol.

~Aux

I bet whomever gets your newer style cooler from an rma will be happy though. =)

If it were me I woulda lived with the noise, but I wouldnt settle for the old style cooler either. Instead of having them mark the paperwork I would see if they could contact some one in charge at whereever they actually send the cards from.

i would of rma'd the card through newegg personally. That way you know your getting the new one.

1. Just call them up and say ur card is bad.

2. Order a new card and when the new card arrives, send back ur old one through the rma you setup.

This way you always have a new card, although you do have to front the money for the card to your credit card and you are paying for shipping again.

just my 2 cents

Hmmm...

I'm thinking about writing them an email and including all the pictures that I have posted here. Mebe that will help spark something. Your thoughts?

~Aux

i read a lot of situations around the time i built my new rig and this is why i choose evga, plus with evga you can remove the stock hsf and still stay in warranty

BFG can be a great company and a bad company all in one breath. Its really great how quick they got things to you, and stuff like that and very understanding about when you had an issue with the first RMA.

I also understand though how you went with BFG for their new copper heatsink on the 7800GTX, you could try them again, they might advance ship a newer style one if you get in contact with one of the higher ups, at least the second guy was honest with you and said that it really wasnt under his control.

Anyway, I had a somewhat similair experience, but I actually just got a AGP 6800GS for a 6800 RMA, I was pretty pleased, but looking back on it, the one saga of mine was a big pain. (3 RMA's in total for me).

Hope everything works out for you though.

More than likely they probablly dont have many Rev2 cards to deal with, and techinically they are within lines of their lifetime warranty agreement.

They have shipped you a 7800GTX, not saying that this is right, but they are holding up their end of the bargian, so legal action is really not an option.

UltimaParadox said:
More than likely they probablly dont have many Rev2 cards to deal with, and techinically they are within lines of their lifetime warranty agreement.

They have shipped you a 7800GTX, not saying that this is right, but they are holding up their end of the bargian, so legal action is really not an option.

Are they though? He bought a revision 2 card and is within his rights to receive the exact same model back on a RMA/return. It's basically like they are downgrading what he bought thru the RMA process since the rev 1 has a different heat sink and performance profile over the rev 2. Rev 1 may also be cheaper to purchase than a rev 2 compounding the difference.

And no I'm not advocating legal action but definitely try to get a higher up at BFG involved and get the same revision (or better if possible) from them since that is what you bought and paid for.

CoasterG said:
Are they though? He bought a revision 2 card and is within his rights to receive the exact same model back on a RMA/return. It's basically like they are downgrading what he bought thru the RMA process since the rev 1 has a different heat sink and performance profile over the rev 2. Rev 1 may also be cheaper to purchase than a rev 2 compounding the difference.

And no I'm not advocating legal action but definitely try to get a higher up at BFG involved and get the same revision (or better if possible) from them since that is what you bought and paid for.

Revisions are just that Revisions, its technically the same card, as the Rev 1 is probablly no longer being manufactured. Everyone knows that all of these companies are sending refurbs in return.

In the eyes of BFG the cost that they send it out as, is the same throughout their GTX line, which is the bottom line

The Saga's end...

After reading all of your posts and sending the defective cards back to BFG, I have been debating whether or not to call back and try to take this issue up with a manager but then...

I received a call from BFG today. They saw my post here on the forum and wanted to contact me to see if they could help with the issue! I spoke with Scott, a supervisor @ BFG, and he was able to locate the correct version (with the copper cooler) of my original 7800GTX and is shipping it out to me overnight at no charge!

I am grateful to:
1) The wonderfly powerful [H]ard Forums! To everyone out there... always post your comments both good and bad, because you'll never know who might read them :D
2) BFG for correcting the issue without me having to call and for being friendly and fast through out the entire process.

I will post another update after receiving the card just to confirm what has happened.

~Aux

Glad to hear everything is working out for your RMA. I have an ongoing RMA with BFG as well and hopefully everything will work out as well as yours. At this point, all I want is for them to send me a card back(not tell me that they did/should've but lost the tracking info) and it will be my last BFG product period.
The person I spoke with on the phone 3 times was named Scott as well. Wonder if they are the same person but he didn't say anything about being a supervisor. Then again, I didn't ask.

The Saga - RE-OPENED... I spoke too soon!

I came home on Monday after work and saw a package waiting inside of my screen door. I noticed it was from BFG and was amazed at how fast they had send me this 3rd replacement. Since I was guaranteed by Scott that this was the correct card (He said "I have it in hand, tested it here, and will ship it too you.") I left the package unattended in my living room for a few hours as I ran some errands.

I had some time later and took off the side of my case in anticipation of swapping in the new card. I opened the package and too my surprise, horror, and now humor... I saw this:
rma3_7800.jpg

Now this is starting to get rediculous! 3 seperate replacement cards... all incorrect. This one has a different sticker covering the center of the fan saying "The Gamer's Choice" instead of the Nvidia brand logo. New sticker... old design. I'm not even going to bother to stick this card into my system as the one I have now is currently operating correctly.

This time... I'm going to call Scott tomorrow morning and try and find out what happened. I will definitely post what I find out here. Someday... I'll see my shiny copper heatsink again... someday...

~Aux

Absoolutely man. Sure BFG is having RMA problems, but that is no excuse for you not to get what you paid for.

That's insanity. On the other hand, what if they send you the correct card and it doesn't wortk as it should? Man, it would be like this fiasco starting all over again.

The bad made good...

I called Scott back yesterday (2/8) and he was quite pissed at what happened. Apparently, the person who pulled the card with the copper heatsink from stock gave it to the shipping person who somehow mixed things up. Anyway, he said he would send out a 4th RMA overnight. He also joked about flying a replacement out personally if this latest one was incorrect... I said I would but him a beer, lol.

Today, 2/9, I got the package as promised. Here's what I found:
rma4_7800.jpg

Swwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Got the right card with the correct heatsink and some nice goodies to go with it; A huge BFG gaming mousepad and a black long sleeve T-shirt with the BFG logo on it. After all that I have been through, I'm just happy that I now have a working 7800GTX, with the copper heatsink, and a nice idle temp of 36 C :D
7800_temp.jpg

I'm glad BFG actually took the time to make things right. Even though it took 4 tries, throughout the process they have been quick, curteous, and understanding.

~Aux

Cool deal.
Kudos to BFG for sticking with it and doing the right thing.
Kudos to you for not loosing your cool and letting it all play out.
Personally i would have prolly gone Ape-Shit all over them thus insuring that a got nothing but a box of cool, but that is just me. LOL

Back