• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The best way to ship a Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbonez

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
274
I just sold a Q6600. When I purchased it, it came with a motherboard, so the processor was in the socket. Now that I've sold just the processor, whats the best way for me to package it? I have access to anti static bags.
 
I would,

  1. Put the bare CPU in an anti static bag.
  2. Fold the bag around the CPU until you get a square and tape it.
  3. Wrap that around some bubble wrap
  4. Put that in a small box with some packing peanuts.

That should be sufficient.
 
Thanks. I have all the material, for that, so I guess thats what I'll do.
 
i did similar but used a small bubble envelope. save almost a 70 cents not much opposed to a box.
 
Maybe it's risky, but I've just wraped it in anti static, sandwiched it between to small pieces of cardboard and put it in a bubble envelope. I've never had a problem with that.
 
The anti static bag is good. However, I'd rather put it in a box slightly larger than it, and tape it to one of the walls. Then it's completely safe from pressure, unless the box is completely squished, in which case nothing would have kept it safe.
 
I'm thinking I'll wrap it in antistatic, then tape it inside a tiny box, and place this box in a Priority mail small flat rate box, just to be double safe.
 
make a fake motherboard, install the CPU in socket, put on fake heat sink and ship tha thingy.

seriously, go to some grocery store ask for thermocol and ship it, i would put little hole in it just about the size of the CPU and put it in there, it'll be much safer considering pins. i haven't shipped any but i always keep the box as it's the most important part and smallest too for most part.
 
Just recently sold my Q9550. I put it in a CPU plastic tray that makes sure the pins won't bend. I then wrapped it in anti-static motherboard foam, after that I put it in a motherboard anti-static bag and wrapped it in that. Going to put it in a random box at Canada Post now and it should be good.
 
I don't know what kind of Core 2 Quad processors you guys are shipping, but there aren't any pins on a Q6600. It's a LGA socket, so pins are on the mobo. Padded envelope and antistatic bag is probably fine, since there's no pins to bend. If it was a PGA processor, then you'd want to stick it into something to prevent the pins from bending.
 
I put a stamp over the pins (to protect them) then write the address on the top of the CPU in sharpie.
 
I don't know what kind of Core 2 Quad processors you guys are shipping, but there aren't any pins on a Q6600. It's a LGA socket, so pins are on the mobo. Padded envelope and antistatic bag is probably fine, since there's no pins to bend. If it was a PGA processor, then you'd want to stick it into something to prevent the pins from bending.

That is what I am thinking. It is called LGA for a reason. :)

With LGA processors I use the little clip that comes with the processors retail to cover its bottom. That protects it from ESD when it is removed from the static bag it would be wrapped in. Followed by bubble wrap and a bubble wrap envelope. Nothing short of a shooting messes up my gear in transit. :D
 
I don't know what kind of Core 2 Quad processors you guys are shipping, but there aren't any pins on a Q6600. It's a LGA socket, so pins are on the mobo. Padded envelope and antistatic bag is probably fine, since there's no pins to bend. If it was a PGA processor, then you'd want to stick it into something to prevent the pins from bending.

Thx man, thought I was loosing my mind...
 
i would think all you would have to do is wrap it in paper or put them in between two pieces of foam.

an antistaticbag is way too much. sticking it in between two pieces and then put it in an envelope or more then it should be fine in a small flat rate box.

doesn't sound that bad does it but most likely chips aren't going to fall out or anything in between stuf
 
Well, to end the discussion, I placed it in antistatic bag and wrapped it around. After that I taped it to the inside of a small flat rate box, which I then placed inside a meduim flat rate box (since I was sending some other stuff too).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top