The *best* thermal paste.

CHAoS_NiNJA

[H]ard|Gawd
So, my syringe of AS5 is finally gone...so, seeing as I have a new build coming soon, I need a new tube. More AS5 is of course always possible (and likely), but its been awhile singe AS5 first came out...perhaps theres something better out now?

So, what is the BEST thermal paste out at the moment? Please provide 'Egg links as thats where I'll be buying my stuff. Thanks.

I'm in the uk so no links.
MX-2 is a very good paste and doesnt suffer from capacitive conducting.
There are a ton of paste reviews out there if you want to make your own informed decision, the results vary a little but MX-2 and AS5 come near or at the top consistently.

I still use AS5, just used it on my new build, both on the proc (Q9450) and northbridge.

i use as5 as well. $4 a tube at fry's when they're on sale. but if you're going to use the paste on ram and other things outside of cpus, you'll want to go with arctic ceramique for its zero capacitance or conductivity. however, it is a degree or two at most higher than as5. but i find its versatility worth the difference.

egg link since you asked for it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100012&Tpk=arctic+ceramic

I've used both AS5 and MX-2. To me they're both about the same. I prefer the MX-2 now though due to it being non-conductive and no curing time.

-V

I am going to try a tube of MX-2, though shipping from newegg is as much as the tube costs... lol

Shin-Etsu x-23 is 3-4 degrees better than mx-2 or as5 but it is hard to find and cost twice as much. But if your talking the best and price is no object. PC-performance has them for $8.00 a syringe.

I'm still an AS5 fan. Primarily, you'll see not tooo much change in this field, unlike CPU's and the actual HSF technologies.

The reason is, Silver is still the best conductor of heat without the development of some new man made element (and a new man made element that is not radio active :), you won't find that yet).. So really the thermal compound companies simply work on better ways to implement Silver into their compounds.

The totally best method would be using a jewelers torch and silver solder, just silver solder that HSF to your CPU. Of course you might toast the CPU die at the silver solder temps?

So AS5 or MX-2, you'll likely not encounter anything much better as there's not much new science on how to provide silver compound in an easy to apply manner.

Of course the best feature of AS5, is that you can say:

"I'm totally into AS*", and then when asked if about thermal compound, say "That too" :)

While I've never been brave enough to try it (I use AS5 typically), FrozenCPU has some liquid metal thermal interface material. You have to apply it with a hobby brush, and woe betide if you mess up since it is super conductive. Supposedly, it is a step above all normal thermal materials, however.

MX-2

I used AS5 for a long time until I switched. Will never go back. This paste rocks.

Thanks everyone, I've added a tube of MX-2 to my list. :)

My biggest complaint with AS5 has been how thick it is and how it can conduct juice....but if MX-2 fixes that, not to mention possibly being a better thermal compound, then its the obvious choice.

While I've never been brave enough to try it (I use AS5 typically), FrozenCPU has some liquid metal thermal interface material. You have to apply it with a hobby brush, and woe betide if you mess up since it is super conductive. Supposedly, it is a step above all normal thermal materials, however.

It eats aluminium too!

IC Diamond. Diamond is a better conductor of heat that silver, and it's not electrically conductive.
From the pedia:
Silver 429
Diamond 900 - 2320

I have both thermal paste and MX2 is better by maybe 1 to 2C compare to AS5 depends on your build. I would recommend MX2 since it has no curing time and non-conductive. Petra's tech shop has MX-2 relatively cheap and cheap first class shipping.

Both are great thermal paste so just up to your budget.

What do people think about Antec Formula 5? My local microcenter has been out of AS5 for like a month and the specs seem comparable.

The best Thermal Interface Material is the one you have in your drawer in your workshop, already paid for.

This is the first I've heard of the diamond dust stuff. Just ordered a tube along with an Ultra Extreme 120. I hate hearing the CPU fan spool up. If it would stay at the same speed that would be fine, but it constantly speeds up and slows down... that gets old. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Back