The Best Soundcard?

lilfiend

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
6,760
What is the absolute best sound card's are. they must be under $1000 unless they are exceptionally good, cheaper is better but keep quality in mind, thanks!
 
What will you be doing with this soundcard? What features are required? Internal or external?

About a million other questions... That is a really broad question...
 
As Criccio asked and do you listen to music, movies, games, connect via digital/analogue?
What is the quality of your system? (list the components if possible)
Do you have any expectations?
 
Does a $1000 sound card exist???

Yes. Just not internal.

If he is listening to mostly music and has speakers worthy of it, there are some near $1000 DAC's I could recommend.

You gotta think though, if he is asking this question he probably doesn't have the greatest speakers.


... I swear, if he says he has Z5500's.... :rolleyes::D
 
It's for pro audio stuff, I've usually winged it with soundblasters (yes I know) over the years, and have made the fatal mistake of going with the soundmax card that came with this crosshair 2 formula mobo..
I've been contemplating some RME cards, but I am not convinced I'll need all the bells and whistles, nor do I have a digital mixer. Running them on a pair of JBL LSR's which I have to say I like very much..
 
It's for pro audio stuff, I've usually winged it with soundblasters (yes I know) over the years, and have made the fatal mistake of going with the soundmax card that came with this crosshair 2 formula mobo..
I've been contemplating some RME cards, but I am not convinced I'll need all the bells and whistles, nor do I have a digital mixer. Running them on a pair of JBL LSR's which I have to say I like very much..

Are you replying for the op who is lilfiend?
 
I had asked him to look into it for me cos I'm busy with a project at the moment, and about to frisbee this soundmax card :)
 
Something like this might fit the bill then: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192.html

M-Audio.com said:
The Audiophile 192 represents a new benchmark in audio performance that’s as good as it gets for music production, mastering and critical listening. As with all Delta cards, you get rock-solid drivers and seamless integration with your favorite Mac and PC applications—and even the ability to combine multiple Delta cards in one system*. And since M-Audio is always ahead of the pack, this world-class card is also compliant with PCI 2.2 and 64-bit audio drivers so you’re ready to take advantage of next-generation platforms and software. The Audiophile 192 is the new world-class standard in stereo audio cards.

$200
 
Does a $1000 sound card exist???

Yes, but mostly in the form of DSP devices and many-I/O interfaces. For a consumer, $1000 is well and beyond where you should be getting an external DAC.

For production, we're back to interfaces. E-MU 0404 USB is about the lowest I'd start, it gives you a number of input options and does a very good job for the budget ($200ish). Higher than that...maybe the DAC1, if I'm remembering correctly?

What are you looking for in the way of inputs?
 
yea $1000 is prolly a bit high, just a reccomendation might be nice though :)
 
Back
Top