The best overlooked games of 2008

After seeing it in action last night, I'm going with Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Best graphics and sense of speed I've seen to date on a console.
I don't even remember when it came out (Fall I think), but it's pretty amazing.

I'm going to have to agree with Valkyria Chronicles. I'm enjoying the game. Too bad it isn't multi-platform, it deserves more sales.

I'm with anyone who said Valkyria Chronicles. Absolute and pure win. It even has a japanese language setting! If you care for strategy RPGs, without the trouble of having to level up every single character (Characters level up by class here, do you don't have to worry about making sure that Snorgl the Dwarf Priest can get the last hit on the enemy, resulting in enough EXP to level up). Story development is top notch, excellent animation, and more!

If you have a PS3 and a love of RPGs, Strategy, or anime-style storytelling, buy it today!

Picked up Pure on the cheap and I gotta admit, it's pretty darn fun. The visuals alone and the insane jumps make it worthwhile. Thanks for the tips guys.

Army of Two

I think if they had the spent the same time and money as other big games like MGS or GTA, this game would have been the next big thing. The game felt very rushed and lacking I can really put my finger on it right now becuase I havent played it in a good while. Hopfully they will make a sequal and spend more time on it.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia didn't get a whole lot of love from what I gathered. I couldn't put it down. Was the first Castlevania I really liked since SOTN.

The World Ends With You / It's A Wonderful World: This game did some really cool things with game mechanics. You gain experience when you're not playing, you have 3/4 different ways of adjusting your difficulty on the fly, etc. Set in modern japan with a pretty cool soundtraack, and I'm not into the j-pop thing. It's an odd title for sure, but if you like JRPGs and want a different take on the genre check this out. YOU WEAR DIFFERNT BRANDS OF CLOTHES TO GET STAT BONUSES FOR HEAVENS SAKE!
I guess I'd say OoE too, but I didn't like it as much as the last one (PoR.) The platforming was a plus however.

I've never played the new motorstorm, but I'd say the guy who said that, I could agree with, based on the trailer of it I saw.

I actually thought Order of Ecclesia was a bit of a dud. It would probably be considered a great game if Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin never came out...but they did. Of the 3 games paying homage to SOTN, I think it was by far the weakest.
It's worth getting if you like the other two, but if you haven't played them - Ecclesia's definitely at the bottom of the list, IMO.

I actually thought Order of Ecclesia was a bit of a dud. It would probably be considered a great game if Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin never came out...but they did. Of the 3 games paying homage to SOTN, I think it was by far the weakest.
It's worth getting if you like the other two, but if you haven't played them - Ecclesia's definitely at the bottom of the list, IMO.
My 2 favorite portable ones are HoD and PoR; Ecclesia is a 3rd favorite of mine; I really wish they'd make a new 2D one for the PS3 and PC; that's what's holding them back from matching SotN.

We're eventually going to see a complete ressurection of 2D on consoles, b/c we've already seen that consoles are better for 2D; It's a fallacy when people say the DS is enough for 2D, when it's clearly not.

Pure (picked it up for $30)
Frontlines FoW
Army of Two

It wasn't overlooked but I don't think Saints Row 2 has gotten as much love as it should have. Way better than GTA4 Imho.

No More Heroes (though technically it came out in JPN in '07, but not in the US until '08)

Back