the best monitor among the following

FALCONSEYE

n00b
hi, i need your input in terms of which of the following monitors to get.

samsung 22" widescreen 226bw
3000:1, 2ms, 1680x1050, dvi w/hdcp

gateway fpd2185w 21" widescreen
hd monitor, 1680x1050, 1000:1
0.27 mm dot pitch, 8ms, 4 usb

nec 20wmgx2, 20.1", 6ms, dvi,
470cd/,2, 1600:1 no hdcp

ViewSonic VP2030b, 20.1", 8ms,
DVI, 300cd/m2, 1000:1, 1600x1200
0.25mm, usb

ViewSonic VP2130b, 21.3",
1600x1200,8ms, 300cd/m2,1000:1
dvi, usb

perhaps, you may have another monitor in mind that will provide me high contrast, a dvi interface and good resolutions.
i appreciate your time...
:D

I am also interested in this.

If you had to rank them, what would you say?

I only have about $350 to spend on a monitor b/c I want to upgrade. Of these, are any of them in that range and do they deliver good results?

when i first saw nec at bestbuy, i was simply amazed. however, i read some bad reviews about it like having too much glare and such. also, it doesn't have hdcp. what's hdcp?

I havn't seen the other minitors in person but I Know I don't like TN's and S-PVA's so I would say the NEC. I do own the NEC and like it a lot. I don't take it in the shower with me but I been tempted. It's $569 at the egg right now. The only other monitors I would buy now are the 24" BenQ or the 26" NEC. The 30" Dell S-IPS would be also interesting if Dell wasn't such a mess.

most people will say NEC because of its superior panel but i'd say things become more interesting if you take that one out (and also maybe add the Viewsonic 2025, although it's been out for a while so i'd be interested to see how it still stacks up).

when i first saw nec at bestbuy, i was simply amazed. however, i read some bad reviews about it like having too much glare and such. also, it doesn't have hdcp. what's hdcp?

If you can see the monitor in person, why rely on the opinions of others with respect to glare. Glossy vs Matte is a highly personal decision. Some hate glossy, some hate matte. I lean slightly toward matte. The further away from the screen you get the better matte gets and worse glossy gets.

For me, 20" is the max size I would want a glossy monitor. Once you get bigger it is more likely to be used farther away and reflections will be more obvious.

Other then the gloss/matte issue. The NEC has a fast IPS screen that has both the best viewing angles and the best reaction times for gaming.

If you like or tolerate gloss, this is one of the best monitors on the market.

HDCP is lame copy protection crap you will need to play blu ray movies if you buy a blu ray machine or blu computer drive and HDCP video card. At this screen size I wouldn't worry about it. Someday I might get Blu Ray machine buy only have I bought a bigs screen first. HDCP is probably a must for your Home theater 50" plasma, but not on a 20" monitor.

thanks for all the input. what's TN's and S-PVA's ?

i use my 60 inch sony to watch blue rays so these monitors are solely for my new pc. one thing i realized about the nec is it's not vertically big enough. i do a lot of programming so i really like having the ability to see many lines at once.

i got the following info

Monitor Type Flat Panel LCD TFT (Active Matrix)
Size 20.1 inch
Contrast Ratio 600:1
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Max. Resolution 1680 x 1050
Brightness 300 cd/m²
Color Depth 24-bit (16.7M Colors)
Viewable Picture Size 20.1 in.

it doesnt seem like it has enough contrast

i got the following info

Monitor Type Flat Panel LCD TFT (Active Matrix)
Size 20.1 inch
Contrast Ratio 600:1
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Max. Resolution 1680 x 1050
Brightness 300 cd/m²
Color Depth 24-bit (16.7M Colors)
Viewable Picture Size 20.1 in.

it doesnt seem like it has enough contrast
DELL 2007WFP''s contrast ratio is 800:1.

But for the price, what is the best bang for buck. (under 300-350)

In that price range...probably the Viewsonic VX2025WM or the LG L204WT. If you want to go around $400 the Dell 2007FPW is the best bang for the buck. (if you win the lottery)

since i upgrade my pc and its components every 10 years :eek: the price is not as important. does nec have a bigger monitor that has the same specs as NEC 20WMGX2 ? sorry for being a pain...

ya seriously the nec is wayyyy too expensive

Well lets see what the NEC gives you :

Wonderful LCD screen with perfect full 8 bit color
In comparison tests it showed extra low 5MS GTG in real world testing (only 2ms TN panels were slighty and i mean slighty faster)
1:1 Pixel maping (no worries for the 360 then)
Component,Svideo and even a TV tuner built in
DVI-HDCP (with a simple 10 dollar converter cable it can be HDMI as well)
Decent speakers
Small and Portable (Fully VESA mounting)
a Remote for Channel surfing and switching options/inputs

and With just about every other LCD that even comes close to those specs you get :

Ghosting,Lack of inputs,major color/backlight issues,no HDCP support and weird buzzing noises.

If you want a CRT type picture with a LCD body the NEC is worth the extra bucks otherwise you will just play the swap game and settle for less cause you havent seen it in action, i love mine and i dont care if i sound like a fan boy. I went through about 7 LCD's (many brands from 21inch Samsung 215TW which made me want to vomit to the 24 Inch Gateway which had major colored ghosting issues) and the NEC is the only LCD i have used recently that produces true color and keeps a fast response time.

Monitors are something i dont ever upgrade , so when i pick one its because i have tried alot of other brands, take my word for it and get the NEC if you can.

i agree with your point 100%. i wanted hear from the fans so that i can finally make my mind. i have two pci express video cards with 4 dvi outs. can i hook up 4 of these nec monitors?

You sure can dude, easy .. you can do it in various modes (as long as you have a good video card you can basicly setup any option or monitor count)

In comparison tests it showed extra low 5MS GTG in real world testing (only 2ms TN panels were slighty and i mean slighty faster)
Decent speakers

i know the only thing i care about in there is

and maybe thats all worth it, but i would like to think they make a monitor suited for people that care about the first thing and not all the other stuff after, least it may not be as expensive.

Decent speakers

and With just about every other LCD that even comes close to those specs you get :

Ghosting,Lack of inputs,major color/backlight issues,no HDCP support and weird buzzing noises.

If you want a CRT type picture with a LCD body the NEC is worth the extra bucks otherwise you will just play the swap game and settle for less cause you havent seen it in action, i love mine and i dont care if i sound like a fan boy. I went through about 7 LCD's (many brands from 21inch Samsung 215TW which made me want to vomit to the 24 Inch Gateway which had major colored ghosting issues) and the NEC is the only LCD i have used recently that produces true color and keeps a fast response time.

Monitors are something i dont ever upgrade , so when i pick one its because i have tried alot of other brands, take my word for it and get the NEC if you can.

Wow, i owned one and all i can say is some of this is false:
Mine had NO 1:1 pixel mapping. that was an issue when i was reading reviews on it.
There was NO calibration software for it, just a link to download a freaking PICTURE to calibrate to. Unacceptible for a monitor i paid about $800US for at the time
The colors/picture was meh at best, i wasnt impressed at all, the samsung i had before it smoked it picture wise, just had horrible input lag
It had some serious backlight issues also and the freaking auto bright setting or whatever it was drove me freaking nuts, felt like a strobe light anytime i opened or closed any window.

Only plus i really liked about it was it was quite fast, i'll have to give it that with no input lag.
Other than that, hardly an impressive monitor :rolleyes:

but to each his own

FWIW the LCD i have now the benq 241W smokes this monitor for lunch y'all :)

i assume the 225BW was the samsung you had with input lag? i'm hoping in case iuh ave to fallback on it that the 226BW fixed that.

i assume the 225BW was the samsung you had with input lag? i'm hoping in case iuh ave to fallback on it that the 226BW fixed that.

i think it was the Samsung 205BW, but I could be wrong, i could have sworn it was a 19" widescreen unit i had.

either way, the NEC isnt everything its cracked up to be, but there are those who love it - i mainly do alot of photoshop work and the NEC didnt cut it color accuracy wise.
I'm sure there was something i could have done to make it better but for some reason i just couldnt get into this monitor :(

just got back from visiting BestBuy, CircuitCity and CompUSA. I must say that the way the monitors are displayed in these stores suck big time. There are millions of things wrong and you cannot simply tell the difference between a $100 monitor and a $400 monitor in terms of quality. I wish there was a way to see all of these monitors with their real capability with a good pc hook up.

just got back from visiting BestBuy, CircuitCity and CompUSA. I must say that the way the monitors are displayed in these stores suck big time. There are millions of things wrong and you cannot simply tell the difference between a $100 monitor and a $400 monitor in terms of quality. I wish there was a way to see all of these monitors with their real capability with a good pc hook up.

i would do some online reviews on any of the models you are looking at, you wont regret it

Wow, i owned one and all i can say is some of this is false:
Mine had NO 1:1 pixel mapping. that was an issue when i was reading reviews on it.
There was NO calibration software for it, just a link to download a freaking PICTURE to calibrate to. Unacceptible for a monitor i paid about $800US for at the time
The colors/picture was meh at best, i wasnt impressed at all, the samsung i had before it smoked it picture wise, just had horrible input lag
It had some serious backlight issues also and the freaking auto bright setting or whatever it was drove me freaking nuts, felt like a strobe light anytime i opened or closed any window.

Only plus i really liked about it was it was quite fast, i'll have to give it that with no input lag.
Other than that, hardly an impressive monitor :rolleyes:

but to each his own

FWIW the LCD i have now the benq 241W smokes this monitor for lunch y'all :)

Sorry but you are amoung a group of 3 people that agree with you ... This NEC has some of the best color/brightness/contrast on the market for its price range and you basicly sound like you disliked the glossy from the start which you likely knew this was a glossy coated monitor , as far as the color's go some people dont notice a difference between a 6bit and 8 bit color monitor ...i would vote you are likely one of them. Falcon wanted a good color and contrast, brightness and this monitor is that unless you go for some starting around 1300+ dollars plus ... that is the best to fill that bill.

Here is something you should know before you buy this monitor if the glossy coating bugs you then do not buy it.

btw i dont know why you overpaided for this monitor you can get them for :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002319

fellas, ladies

i was googling around and i found out that NEC is coming up with 24wmgx2 and 22wmgx2. :eek: is this true ? if so, does anybody know when and for how much?

fellas, ladies

i was googling around and i found out that NEC is coming up with 24wmgx2 and 22wmgx2. :eek: is this true ? if so, does anybody know when and for how much?

22 inch is july/august and 24 inch is august/september. So its gonna be a while.

Sorry but you are amoung a group of 3 people that agree with you ... This NEC has some of the best color/brightness/contrast on the market for its price range and you basicly sound like you disliked the glossy from the start which you likely knew this was a glossy coated monitor , as far as the color's go some people dont notice a difference between a 6bit and 8 bit color monitor ...i would vote you are likely one of them. Falcon wanted a good color and contrast, brightness and this monitor is that unless you go for some starting around 1300+ dollars plus ... that is the best to fill that bill.

Here is something you should know before you buy this monitor if the glossy coating bugs you then do not buy it.

btw i dont know why you overpaided for this monitor you can get them for :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002319

I never mentioned anything about disliking it because it had a glossy coating. I couldnt care less whether it had it or not. Didnt bother me one bit.

Also, i've been using CAD monitors for years now, and they are the most color correct CRT's you can buy. This monitor didnt fit the bill color wise at all. I work alot in photoshop and I can GUARANTEE you that this monitor does not work for that purpose. Really, the best calibration software they could give you is a PIECE OF PAPER that says "download our software here" and its a FREAKING PICTURE so you can calibrate it BY EYESIGHT. WTF? Bad move, NEC. :(
Also, I got this monitor 6-7 months ago and at the time it was going for $749 at the local frys, not now where its come down a couple hundred dollars.

Sorry man, this monitor is overrated, people looking for certain things other than millisecond times wont even consider this.
After I did buy it, I found out its really a gaming monitor where the things i listed are at the bottom in terms of priority. Its not one you do "work" with, and thats cool. Gamers will love it. If you're not a gamer, you wont, bottom line.

i will use these monitors for programming. i have some consulting gigs. i have an xbox 360 with a 60 htdv so i do my gaming elsewhere. if anybody is on xbox live add me :rolleyes:
falconseye

I never mentioned anything about disliking it because it had a glossy coating. I couldnt care less whether it had it or not. Didnt bother me one bit.

Also, i've been using CAD monitors for years now, and they are the most color correct CRT's you can buy. This monitor didnt fit the bill color wise at all. I work alot in photoshop and I can GUARANTEE you that this monitor does not work for that purpose. Really, the best calibration software they could give you is a PIECE OF PAPER that says "download our software here" and its a FREAKING PICTURE so you can calibrate it BY EYESIGHT. WTF? Bad move, NEC. :(
Also, I got this monitor 6-7 months ago and at the time it was going for $749 at the local frys, not now where its come down a couple hundred dollars.

Sorry man, this monitor is overrated, people looking for certain things other than millisecond times wont even consider this.
After I did buy it, I found out its really a gaming monitor where the things i listed are at the bottom in terms of priority. Its not one you do "work" with, and thats cool. Gamers will love it. If you're not a gamer, you wont, bottom line.

Thats why NEC makes an entire line of LCD's sepcifically for CAD, Photography, graphics etc that have calibration software and use S-IPS panels also. I am interested to hear what monitor you ended up going with for your CAD work??

I have just boughtthis monitor for $210.00

I think it is a very nice monitor. yes it does have the x corners and the noise if you turn down the contrast but the quality is very nice.

I think it got a great deal; it was on clearance.

Even for $400.00 i think this monitor would be a great choice for gamers/photographers.
charles

you know, i actually had that monitor in my original list as an option. however, i changed my mind after seeing that it was $499 at staples.com. i thought the others offered more for the buck. how did you end up getting that monitor for $200???

also, i ended up going to circuit city yesterday to check out the samsung 226bw. it seemed to be a descent monitor. of course, nec 20wmgx2 is the best thus far as others mentioned. the only plus 226bw brings the table to my mind is the extra 1.1 inches of extra height. since i will use the monitors solely for programming, that extra space means a lot to me. if the nec 22wmgx2 or 24wmgx2 were available at the moment, i will buy one of the two without hesitating.

anyway, it seems like i will end up buying two 226bws and get the necs later when it becomes available.

you know, i actually had that monitor in my original list as an option. however, i changed my mind after seeing that it was $499 at staples.com. i thought the others offered more for the buck. how did you end up getting that monitor for $200???

also, i ended up going to circuit city yesterday to check out the samsung 226bw. it seemed to be a descent monitor. of course, nec 20wmgx2 is the best thus far as others mentioned. the only plus 226bw brings the table to my mind is the extra 1.1 inches of extra height. since i will use the monitors solely for programming, that extra space means a lot to me. if the nec 22wmgx2 or 24wmgx2 were available at the moment, i will buy one of the two without hesitating.

anyway, it seems like i will end up buying two 226bws and get the necs later when it becomes available.

yeah but with the NEC's glare not being everyones cup of tea declaring the 226bw second best (is that what you're saying?) aint so bad in my mind, makes no wanting to deal with the Dell lottery not such a bad thing anymore (yeah i want something good but am not a HUGE fan of the NEC's opticlear or the unecesary features i wouldnt use driving up the cost, but i dont want try for the Dell IPS 20", supposed second best, so looking for a compromise, perhaps the Viewsonic 2025wm, but if the Samsung is better....)

Back