• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The best method to apply thermal paste on.....

Krenum

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
19,197
A Cooler master H212
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603

I am building a new machine soon and was wondering what the best method for this Heatsink would be.

Traditionally I have spread the thermal past across the CPU completely with other builds.

I hear that the i5 is a single die and a pea sized drop will be sufficient. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
 
I did the line method with my i5/Hyper212. Overclocked to 4.4ghz 1.33-1.34v, around 75c with intel burn test.
 
I just used a credit card and spread it on the top of the CPU like butter on bread. Used enough so that it was completely covered but also kept it as thin as possible. Did it that way for my X2 555 which ran at 4GHz unlocked to 3 cores and my current X 1090 which runs at 3.8 and my temps never got out of the 30's during Prime95.
 
Pea/line method is usually the best. Less chance for air bubbles as the paste spreads out evenly from the center without any chance of air pockets forming. Plus, depending on how concave/convex the mating surfaces are, spreading thin (if you've spread as thin as you should) may leave some areas without contact.
 
Back
Top