The Best Laptop Brand?

Which do you reckon makes teh best teh laptops?

• Total voters

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
Which do your reckon is teh best?

I love AlienWare but they aren't available here in the UAE.

This is too broad to be worth a damn.

Are you looking for best built? I'd say IBM, maybe with a Fujitsu in 2nd place.

Best way to piss away money? I'd say Alienware

Best way to ignore whatever is on the screen because you can't see a damned thing through the glare? I'd say Sony

Best deal for high performance laptops a few weeks ago when they still had the 7800GT, but now suck because they've castrated their most popular model with an X1400? Dell

Best 15.4" form factor laptop currently available because Asus is dragging their feet? Acer

Best 15.4" form factor laptop that will be available when Asus stops dragging their feet? Maybe Asus.

You need to focus what you're looking for.

I vote IBM because to me, a 14.1" thin & light that's built like a tank but weighs only a VW is the perfect laptop.

Someone else will vote Dell because a 17" w/ 7800GTX at $1300 after rebates is the best for what they're looking for.

I vote IBM, because quality construction and a overall reliable laptop are the key features I look for.

Sager over all of the above. No idea how you forgot about Sager yet mentioned Acer... They BLOW!!!!

Goran said:
Sager over all of the above. No idea how you forgot about Sager yet mentioned Acer... They BLOW!!!!

Arguably, you could just put down Clevo and take care of Sager, Alienware, and a few other companies as well.

As far as the Acer blowing...they've turned out to have two of the best 15.4" laptops of 2005: the Travelmate 8100 series and Ferrari 4000 series. Their only competition was the Asus Z70VA's.

They're still plastic pieces of junk, IMHO, compared to an IBM T4x series(T6x as well, but I don't care for the changes that were made). Metal lid + metal hinges will outweigh all other considerations. What good is a laptop powerful enough to last 5 years if the laptop physically breaks within 1.5? Just ask all of us that had an Emachines M6805/Gateway74xx/Arima whatever series. Great laptops spec wise, but in the end, most of them had cracked hinges. I don't trust plastic-hinged laptops they way I do metal-hinged ones.

IBM. Thinkpads rock. Awesome keyboards, great portability (you know, you can actually TAKE it places unlike those giant gaming laptops), and they're built like tanks.

I <3 my x24 and my old 600e

My favorite is Apple. My Powerbook just feels better then the recent Dells ect. I've used.

My second choice would be a ThinkPad

I say none of the above..each have pros and cons,,,like cars and trucks,,,but i voted dell,,only cause of the complete care warranty.. just buy what u like,,and will be happy with it....

Depends what you are looking for.

Best bang for the buck is the Dell Latitude line, just as well built as the Thinkpads, for less money.

My favorite overall when it comes to screen clarity, features, style, and build quality though is Sony, but you pay for it.

xonik said:
I don't see Panasonic. I don't see Samsung.

Samsung doesn't sell in the US (unfortunately), and practically no one, consumer-wise, buys a toughbook.

Some of the Toughbooks are pretty f'n sweet though.

You should add a "Clevo Clone" category to cover Hypersonic/Sager/VooDoo, etc. Any of these rigs will blow a Dell out of the water and compete evenly with Alienware. If you care to argue the point I will put my Hypersonic up against any Dell laptop in benchmarks of whatever measure you wish.

If I could I would vote for Apple.

I went with Sony because I like their styling and smallness of computer size, simliar to Apple.

Next would be IBM because they are sturdy and tough power houses.

:eek: HP & Dell :eek: :rolleyes:

It all depends on what you want to do with your notebook. Personally, I like Apple notebooks. I don't game with my notebook, and OSX is so sexy... :cool:

I work in a PC and Laptop Repair shop, the worst ones I see for hardware defectiveness is Dells, followed up by eMachines. Last night I was working on a Alienware laptop that must have weighed roughly 25 pounds. Thie thing was a beast, it was in because he thought it had (because of the diag software Alienware gave him) a bad HD, but he accually had bad video memory.

My vote is for HP's. Good solid machines.

IBM all the way... I serviced so many laptops here and the IBM ThinkPad are the most reliables with so few failues.

On the other side, Dell would be the worst brand for quality and Toshiba too for the poor drivers support.

I'd have to go with Toshiba first and IBM second. Sony, Gateway, Acer and E-Machine laptops are the biggest POS i've ever worked on. Dell is getting better

Business/Corporate use it would be:
Dell Latitude

For home/multimedia use, I have my eyes on:
ASUS V6 series.

Dell is the best price for performace.

Dell offers more than IBM for the price. Dell's assessories are fairly priced and easy to find even for legacy products. I have a few beefs with IBM other than price reasons. They don't seem to offer the wide range of hardware available, usually top of the line laptop video cards are not offered soon enough (if at all). They also have bios passwords that lock down the laptop significantly to where you'd need to replace the motherboard if you forgot them. Not a huge deal but when it comes time to sell the laptop it would be nice to reset everything bad to stock.

And Dell's website is easier to navigate than IBMs, finding drivers on IBM's site can be painful.

So Dell all the way.

DarthBeavis said:
You should add a "Clevo Clone" category to cover Hypersonic/Sager/VooDoo, etc. Any of these rigs will blow a Dell out of the water and compete evenly with Alienware. If you care to argue the point I will put my Hypersonic up against any Dell laptop in benchmarks of whatever measure you wish.

I agree with you your Hypersonic will have better benchmarks and performance then my soon to come Dell but I only paid $1380 how much did you pay?

I have had several IBM's. However, since Lenova is handling their laptops now the service has gone down hill. Additionally the new T60 is not as good quality as the T41.

CompilerDude said:
I have had several IBM's. However, since Lenova is handling their laptops now the service has gone down hill. Additionally the new T60 is not as good quality as the T41.

And what about it exactly is "not as good quality?" There are a few cosmetic changes which are probably for the worse (squared off mouse buttons, lack of any colors on the keyboard or mouse buttons) and a few things that are mixed depending on the person's opinion (Windows key, +1 USB port but -1 SVideo). They're slightly heavier but also even more solid ("roll cage"). Other than the delay on shipping that's been seen, I have yet to see anything actually showing them to be bad.

And why the comparison to the T41? The T42 was the last fully IBM model, the T43 was designed by IBM and had been on the drawing board for a while.

I had to go with Sony, Im about the pull the Trigger on a Sony FE-590 :D

Honestly, yeah, this type of poll will have its flaws considering each company's strengths and weaknesses.

I guess ultimately I had to choose dell because of my experiences with them. In the last 4 years I've owned a Dell refurb 600m that did me perfectly for the 2 years I owned it. I got to the point that I wanted to go even smaller than a 14.1" screen so I went for the 700m when the deal was sweet enough (920bucks for a kick ass peice of equipment) and cut that in half when I sold my 600m to a friend, which is still going strong.

Dell's price vs. performance definitely wins out. You can get that gaming machine and you can get it cheap....or you can get that light weight small compact laptop for just as cheap.

IBM is undoubtably the best build quality (however laptops these days are fairly well put together for the most part....) they last forever and seem to have a very good following. However, they are plagued by bad HDs and a very...VERY high price tag for what you get. You won't be buying from this company for the bleeding edge gaming, that much is true. But they build good laptops that last (pending HD trouble) I'd place these guys in 2nd place. If I could build one to my own taste for a price that could compete with dell, then I'd change my vote....however IBM is a bit too proud of their equipment for me.

The rest....well...I couldn't tell you about the rest because I'm happy with what I currently own.

Kortiz DZ said:
IBM is undoubtably the best build quality (however laptops these days are fairly well put together for the most part....) they last forever and seem to have a very good following. However, they are plagued by bad HDs [...]
Huh? IBM makes neither hard drives nor laptops any more...

Back