the best fan for Thermalright HR-03 Plus

phatsmack

n00b
can anyone recommend the best fan for Thermalright HR-03 Plus? do i need 80 mm or 90mm?

You need 92mm and the best fan is up to you. There is information all over about fans and what not. A popular choice are the NeXus fans

Dang HR-03 Plus is so good I don't think it matters much what kind of fan you put on it, as long as you can get it attached. My fan accidentally came unplugged once and the temps were still cooler than the stock cooler, hehe.

I'm using a 120mm fan. The stock fan brackets won't work with this, but I read those brackets are hard to work with anyway, so I just used zip-ties to hold the fan onto the heat sink.

I currently am using an Antec Tricool fan so I can adjust the speeds. I also have some low and medium speed Yate Loons fans. So have been using the Antec to switch between it's low and medium speeds to see which works better. So far not a lot of difference.

Dang HR-03 Plus is so good I don't think it matters much what kind of fan you put on it, as long as you can get it attached. My fan accidentally came unplugged once and the temps were still cooler than the stock cooler, hehe.

I'm using a 120mm fan. The stock fan brackets won't work with this, but I read those brackets are hard to work with anyway, so I just used zip-ties to hold the fan onto the heat sink.

I currently am using an Antec Tricool fan so I can adjust the speeds. I also have some low and medium speed Yate Loons fans. So have been using the Antec to switch between it's low and medium speeds to see which works better. So far not a lot of difference.
Amazing, a passive-cooled HR-03+ still beating the stock cooler:D
I have a 120mm Silverstone FM-121 110cfm on mine.
There really is no need to "mod" the HR-03+, or use zip ties, etc. the stock clips will hold a 120mm fan just fine. Mine is on very solid with the stock clips:cool:

I used a 120mm Scythe fan with stock brackets. Just have to cut one end off one of the brackets to make it fit. You bend a little bit of one of the holes but that fan is going NOWHERE.

I used a 120mm Scythe fan with stock brackets. Just have to cut one end off one of the brackets to make it fit. You bend a little bit of one of the holes but that fan is going NOWHERE.

are you talking about this fan? http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf63cfms12.html how's the connector for this fan? would you be able to insert the pins where the stock fan is connected? right now im idling 80 on HR-03 plus w/o the fan. is this normal im not even oc?

There really is no need to "mod" the HR-03+, or use zip ties, etc. the stock clips will hold a 120mm fan just fine. Mine is on very solid with the stock clips:cool:

Ahh, I'll have to try it. I didn't even look at the bracket since I thought it would only work with a 92mm fan. I'm sure that'll look nicer than my zip-ties. :)

it just fits around the fan, it's not like it's hard to hook a 120mm fan there.... it hugs around the side of the fan and just doesn't go inside the screw holes at all...

Nexus 92MM Real Silent Case Fan Black 1500RPM 19.2DBA 27CFM 3/4PIN

that one

or the Scythe 100mm with 92 mm mounting hole ones

I have a 120mm fan on mine

p1064719325-3.jpg

p792117992-4.jpg

Interesting...your install differs from Thermalright's:

hr-03%20plus-4.jpg

Unless the placement of these components is for show only. Has anyone tried this install? Will it even work?

Interesting...your install differs from Thermalright's:

*snip*

Unless the placement of these components is for show only. Has anyone tried this install? Will it even work?

You can mount it either way, the HSF and the retention bracket are two seperate things so you can flip over the HSF and then mount it either way.

It's nice if you like to have better control of where the air in your case goes.

nice setup you got there. :) im just wondering which mount will give you better temp the front or the back?

I am using a 92MM fan on mine, its Vantec, really old fan maybe 4-5 years old, really quite and moves a lot of air, running 49C load on Crysis max settings.

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

I had 1 more gtx but I sold it, SLI is such a waste of money for the little gain.
DSC00492.jpg

For some reason my current HS is running 6C lower then my older one, I guess since I glued the bolts bottom bolts on it made for a tight seal with the hand tight screws.

Really though, you can just use the stock clips:cool:

The stock clips would not work. No only the fan was pretty thick, there was a addition of 28mm sticking out of one end. None of the 92mm and 80mm clips worked, I tried. Plus the zip ties would prob cut down on vibrations.

The stock clips would not work. No only the fan was pretty thick, there was a addition of 28mm sticking out of one end. None of the 92mm and 80mm clips worked, I tried. Plus the zip ties would prob cut down on vibrations.
I stand corrected.
The fans must differ then, I know some have thicker sides, my Silverstone 120mm works, but I guess not all 120mm fans do. Nothing wrong with zip ties, I usually go through a few packs of them when I do a new build. I have an 80mm fan mounted on my TR HR-05 nb cooler with zip ties, that's how TR designed them to be attached. And they are solid with zip ties, probably do cut down on vibration:cool:

For the 120mm fans that are not too thick for the clips:
Here's a photo (not mine) of a similar setup to mine with a 120mm fan attached to an HR-03+ with the stock wire clips.
With mine, I found that using the middle row of holes with the wires between the outermost heatpipes worked best:cool:
001.jpg

Back