• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Best DVD Burner?

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
1,419
I have a Plextor 712A DVD-RW +/- Drive (16X Read/12X Write/48X Read/48X Write)

Was wondering, is there anything better on the market right now? Or shall I keep it?
 
What exactly is the free upgrade? YOu mean it is currently 2.4X DL and somehow they'll mail you a 4X DL? Seriously? Where does it say that?

And What's bitsetting again?
 
Where the hell did BenQ come from? This used to be a Pioneer/NEC world :)

I'm glad to see more and more vendors making quality, fast drives...

Next stop... Blu-Ray ;)
 
The new Plextor PX-716A Internal E-IDE Atapi looks pretty nice. When this is actually released to stores I plan on getting it. I have two plextor burners right now in two of my PC's and I have never ever had issues with them...ever. This drive has some great features. I am not going to to through all of them but I will highlight one I like in particular.

The feature is called GigaRec. Allows you to burn 900mb on a 700mb cd. Great for those who like making cd mixes. Allows you to cram a few more songs on there :). This has a 4x double layer so it will burn 8.5gb cd's which is great.

I will admit I kind of having a biased opinion when it comes to burners because I have only used plextors but why should I try anything else when they have never failed me in the past. Just my $.02 worth.
 
Benq is really Acer.....But for the last 10 years, Plextor has made the highest-quality, highest rated drives....and also the highest priced. If you absolutely want the best, then Plextor is your choice.

You can burn more than the standard 700MB on a CD by overburning, which is actually pretty unreliable when it gets higher...it uses more area of the disk. I think it also throws out error correction. Actual 900MB media is available, but I sure wouldn't trust that for anything other than music....the tracks are quite close together and not very stable.
 
Oh...one of those. It's like in the old days, there is a way to format your 1.44MB to something like 2 MB. Too much error on the diskette in the end. I don't need to save that extra 200 MB. I can afford another disk.

Anyway, anyone can tell me about that Free Upgrade deal? As it is not on the Benq web site.
 
I've been smoking in front of a Plextor 8/20 burner and 40 spin CD-Rom since fall '99. 0 issues, despite the manual saying I shouldn't smoke around the drives lol. The new Plextor will likely be the best (f'n bums need to make a SCSI version though...), but for now you really need to read some reviews. Different burners are better at different things & burning on various types of media.
 
Back
Top