The Best Cases of 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Think Computers has put together a small list featuring what they feel are the best cases of 2011. Agree? Disagree? Which cases do you think belong on a "best of" list?

It is December now and that means the end of the year is upon us. This past year we have reviewed quite a few products, but I think we have reviewed cases the most. Cases are such an important part of your system, it is the first thing someone looks at when you are at a LAN party. We have decided to make a list of the best cases of 2011.

That's like me saying that a Yugo is the best car of the year only because that was the only car I reviewed this year.

600T is good, but where are the other great cases of this year, like Fractal Design (USA release), Lian Li, etc?

Is it me or does the Cubitek Tank look very Lian Li-ish?
Anyway, I don't think the Level 10 GT is that great.

I am very happy with the Antec DF-85 I just built a new machine with and still would have picked it over any of those.

I'd pick the Temjin TJ11 for this year's best case.

I'm still in love with my Silverstone Raven RV02E. Every case that isn't rotated 90 degrees like it is just feels primitive to me now. I wouldn't say that the cooling is amazingly better than other high-end cases out there, but the inherent shift in weight distribution makes what is a "full tower" better-transportable than my old mid-tower Antec 900 and being able to instantly get at the backpanel for my sound card, graphics cards, and everything else is just incredibly convenient.

And dare do I mention the excellent cable management and overall niceness of the interior to work in.

My top 4: As far as design/looks/functionality go. It is really a toss up between any of the ones I list.

1. Silverstone (Raven RV02ew owner)
2. Lian Li
3. Fractal (case is definitely growing on me, I am ready to build a watercooled machine in this one)
4. Corsair

Out of all these only 1 got mentioned, and tbh it wasn't even the best corsair case to be released this year.

My only thought is that they were paid to select those two cases as the best cases of the year. That is the only thing that pops into my head. There were much much better cases out there to choose from.

Best is so vague

I am a Corsair case fan, I would say my favorite is the Obsidian 650D
I also like the Carbide 400R for a lower priced option

I like Lian Li cases and I currently use one of their older cases. Best aluminum cases anywhere.

no Lian Li = I disagree. but Lian Li should learn a little from Fractal Design and Fractal should use aluminum.

no Lian Li = I disagree. but Lian Li should learn a little from Fractal Design and Fractal should use aluminum.

Yes Fractal Design I should have mentioned them too.

If their cases were Aluminum they would likely be much more expensive, however I might still buy them.,

One of the most empty lists I've seen. Those seemed like, "I came across these and they are good value." I want a list of BEST cases. I'm looking for a new one to house my completely air cooled rig.

I was at Fry's yesterday and I saw the Corsair Obsidian Series 800D. Damn. I am going to start a new build here at the end of the holiday season and that just might be my case....

That's silly to try and name a best case. It's a matter of opinion.

I wouldn't buy any of those 3, but I can tell you without a doubt THE BEST CASE EVER is the Corsair 500R White... because I just got one.

LOL

:D

I think my CM Storm Trooper is great, personally. Looks very mean, drive configurability is nice, usb 3.0, accomodates XL-ATX, large cut out for motherboard HSF changes. Two minor gripes, HDD/Power LEDs not really visible from side angle, and top fan kinda loud. But otherwise a superb case, if you don't mind some plastic parts.

Is it me or does the Cubitek Tank look very Lian Li-ish?
Anyway, I don't think the Level 10 GT is that great.

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Graphite 600T. It's decent, but I'm not sure it makes a "Best of 2011" list for me.

Agreed. It shouldn't be on the list. It's not even as memorable or as remarkable as the original Level 10 is.
The only remarkable things about the original Level 10 are how much it costs and how much it sucks.

priority 1a /b/c
clearance for airheatsink,vga clearance ,airflow.
i woder why some brands still dont offer at least some sort of futureproof vga/heatsink clearance
look at the coolermaster haf 912 , with the removable hd cases you can make up 39cm vga clearance
and its not even a full tower.The HAF 942 is limited at 34...btw full tower and multiple times the price.And with additional fans plugged i wonder if the haf 912 is that much worse than the 942(of course in the watercooling department it will lose big time i guess)

The only remarkable things about the original Level 10 are how much it costs and how much it sucks.

I'll give it props for being different. I don't think it justified a 20th of it's price. It wasn't a practical design by any stretch of the imagination.

I want a list of BEST cases. I'm looking for a new one to house my completely air cooled rig.
Pretty much any 90 degree Silverstone case- any Raven, FT02, FT03, or the TJ11. If money's no object... nom TJ11.

That said, key word there is air cooling. If you want to do water, outside the TJ11, not sure how well most of those will do you. For ex, wouldn't do it with my RV02E since the radiator(s) would either take up my only exhaust fan or would need to be placed at the bottom (completely defeating the purpose of the case's layout).

Lian Li and Silverstone do make the best cases. Corsair in a close 3rd, but I saw the 650D recently, and it just did not have the quality of the 800D. I think I did not notice the cheapness of the 600T as much when I had it because I expected it to be a cheaper case, and it was pretty good for its price. But the 650D really isn't a downsized 800D from a quality perspective. The only thing Corsair offers that touches Lian Li and Silverstone is the 800D. The FT02 was released in 09, I believe? Nothing in its price point even touches it yet. Not even Lian Li's offerings. Also...wasn't the 600T released in 2010? Why is it in a 2011 list?

Stupid rant. 2011 has been a shitty year for cases. Haven't seen any new innovation so far this year or any new interesting designs. The TJ11 looks kind of cool, but it's way too expensive and not necessary unless watercooling a huge high-end rig. And those little devil cases are absolutely hideous.

Last edited:
I got a Lian-Li PC-Z70B, hands down best case I ever owned. SATA Backplane, lots of space, cool, and light.

It's 500 times better than all the shitty antec/coolermaster cases you recommend. I'd rather spend $800 on it than spend $5 on a crappy coolermaster centurion.

why i believe that corsair 650d and 600t they had shit airflow? i dont trust these crappy 200mm fans at the intake and the roof one..if i'm wrong somebody correct me..
i believe lian li have better cooling

why i believe that corsair 650d and 600t they had shit airflow? i dont trust these crappy 200mm fans at the intake and the roof one..if i'm wrong somebody correct me..

You're right.

It's not the biggest, or the flashiest (by a long shot), or the trickest, and it sure as hell doesn't cost $300.00.....but I've built five machines up in the good old Antec Three Hundred and I'll by more. Solid, great cable management, lots of room, great airflow....works for me....:cool:

They actually aren't bad at all. I had an air cooled and water cooled system in a 600t. Great temps. Swapped the 200 fans for 120s and noticed very little improvement. A degree or two, but more noise than the 200s.

Back