The best 20-23" monitors meeting my ridiculous requirements?

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys. I am doing some research on monitors, as I may be updating my eyefinity set up. The big problem is that I run my three monitors on a sturdy 3-swing-arm stand that is terrific but only supports 22" or smaller monitors (technically it says 19" but my 19"s fit with room to spare). I LOVE pixel density. I would rather have a 20" 1080p screen than a 24" 1080p screen as the pixel density (or lack thereof) on the larger screen makes things look so blocky and jagged.

Annother big thing is that I mount my monitors via VESA, and most monitors support this, but some of them are only mounted on the plastic shell, with the internal metal structure not mounted at all. My current monitors have had the plastic shell removed completely because the bezels look soo damn good that way (less than 1-inch between viewable screens). I am able to do this because the VESA threading extends to the structure of the monitor, and the plastic shells bear no actual load, so I was able to remove them and still mount the monitors. I have repaired a few monitors in my day and MOST I've seen don't feature this sort of structural design, most monitors mount on the plastic shell, thus if I were to remove the shell to reduce the bezel area, I could not mount them. So obviously I want the new monitors to either A): have small bezels or B): have internal VESA mounts on the metal structure of the monitor.

Primarily I game and do 3D artwork, so quality is a priority, but I don't need REDICULOUS low refresh rates. My current monitors are 12ms (I know right?) so just about anything is an upgrade in the refresh department. Point being, just because I game doesent mean I need 1ms refreshing monitors. I'm happy with a 5ms with good resolution and colour.

That not particular enough for you? I also want them to be relatively cheap, as I would HOPE to updated set up with three new monitors for under $600...

Thanks for your help as usual!

Primarily I game and do 3D artwork, so quality is a priority, but I don't need REDICULOUS low refresh rates. My current monitors are 12ms (I know right?) so just about anything is an upgrade in the refresh department. Point being, just because I game doesent mean I need 1ms refreshing monitors. I'm happy with a 5ms with good resolution and colour.

refresh rate is measured in hertz, and generally speaking, the higher the better. High refresh rates = low frame duration time though... 100 hz = 10ms frames.

I think you were probably talking about input lag/display lag, rather than refresh rates? As far as I know, there is no monitor out there with a 1ms frame time (aka 1000hz). But there are monitors with 1ms display lag.

His problem isn't the response time (which is what I assume he meant), but that vesa mounting thing. And only people who probably know the answer is those who have ripped open their monitors, removed the plastic casing, and then mounted using the vesa connector ... if there are any, on the interior frame itself. I am not sure how common that will be.

The only thing I can suggest is contacting the support departments of some companies and see what they say. But do so after picking out whatever model you want to get. I know NEC and Eizo has good customer support, so they may know. NEC has live chat, which makes it even easier. But it's such an odd type of spec question so I am not sure if a regular rep will know the answer or not.

As for sizes, do you have an aspect ratio preference? You mention your 19"ers fit ... are they 5:4 or 16:9? If 5:4, you may be limited in size when going 16:9, as 23" 16:9s may be too wide then. You can look at 21.5" 16:9s ... maybe they would be suitable. And they'd have a high pixel density at 1920x1080.

You are best off to just buy a monitor off amazon, test it out, and if it is a no go, return it. Do your best not to make marks on the screen, but Amazon is generally pretty cool about 'Shipping Damages'.

I would start with some Asus monitors, i know several of their 23 inch designs have what you are looking for other than size.

Good luck

Hey guys, thanks for all of the feedback! I'm having a look at THIS monitor by LG. I usually don't like LG products, but I've sold quite a few over he years and I have not seen too many come back faulty. Three IPS monitors for under $540 after shipping doesn't seem too bad, either. Anyone have any experience with this particular monitor, or members of the series?

Last edited:
That Dell sells for $249 here in Australia, WAAY too much unfortunately.

Back