• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

The Average Internet Speed in Every State

Nice lol. I currently live in Virginia and get 110/10 mbps + basic cable for $60 a month. Not Google fiber good, but certainly better than average.
 
Would be more informative if they compiled average speed and price for that speed.
 
Nice lol. I currently live in Virginia and get 110/10 mbps + basic cable for $60 a month. Not Google fiber good, but certainly better than average.

Where in VA? I don't think anyone in NOVA offers that kind of speed for $60. With Cox I think I pay around $60 for 30/10.
 
N. VA the land of data centers... Especially if you live in the Dulles/Ashburn/Sterling area. Loving my FIOS (except for the whole Netflix thing). Got the 50/25 plan which is more than enough for my needs.
 
DgSNwbU.jpg


So in other words you can just look at the political map and see if your state's Internet is "good". Hint: if you're red, you have higher odds that your Internet sucks.

Obligatory: Why? because Obama.
 
Another VA resident here; I hate this states laws when it comes to vehicles/driving, but GOD I love the internet!

 
DgSNwbU.jpg


So in other words you can just look at the political map and see if your state's Internet is "good". Hint: if you're red, you have higher odds that your Internet sucks.

Obligatory: Why? because Obama.

Expect some hate to be thrown your way on this forum.
But kudus sir. I am glad someone isn't afraid to point how facts
 
qoxx89v61


Idaho here, this is a wireless connection of 150 Mbps link speed "300 Mbps or better would help" Wired is supposed to be 100 down/ 6 up; Typically ~75 down/6 up.
 
And of course these values (at least 10 of the states) are based upon whomever went through Akamai, if you didn't you aren't part of the average. Wonder how many users they actually get, and if that can actually be considered a good sampling size. For instance, if you based this off a website that was primarily for the business side of things you might get a bit of a bias because those types of people might be willing to pay for faster speeds. Or if you use something like speedtest/ookla then you'll get a bias from everyone with fast speeds wanting to know how large their ePenis is
 
Thankful I live where I do for internet speed compared to some friends I game with online who are stuck on wireless connections and 50GB per month caps.

3678959841.png
 
The chart is very inaccurate. For example in NC if a Cable internet line goes down a road in a county, then the county is assumed to have the highest speed available on that line. The reality is that the line is only there to connect one city or town to another. So the only people who have access to that internet are the people who live on the road where the Cable internet line is and the connecting towns. Everyone else has dial up or DSL if extremely lucky. And I mean 768kbps ADSL is the luxury package in those areas.

So this chart is as useful as telling someone's future by skipping rocks across a pond.
 
Seems like a more accurate survey of speeds could come from the NSA (since they monitor everyone anyway) :p

Seriously though, just an average doesn't tell you much ... for internet speeds I am much more interested in the median speed (half the users are faster and half are slower) or the standard deviation/min/max/average so you can get a better feel for the shape of the Bell Curve and how long the upper tail is
 
I wanna say this is likely by choice.

I live in wv, and over 85% of our population has access to download speeds over 25mbit. But no one has it, (including myself @15mbit) by choice. most people here are fine with 3mbit down. :eek:

http://gis2.kimballdata.com/westvirginiaonline/ nifty interactive map of wv.
 
One megabit equals 131,072 bytes. They have to do the study over. :p
This is why people hate computers, they used the 1000 not 1024. Which is metric but not JEDEC/IEC. Both called megabyte, fucking metric. Unless you're google then for digital storage you call the 10^6 megabyte and 2^20 mebibyte.
 
I wanna say this is likely by choice.

I live in wv, and over 85% of our population has access to download speeds over 25mbit. But no one has it, (including myself @15mbit) by choice. most people here are fine with 3mbit down. :eek:

http://gis2.kimballdata.com/westvirginiaonline/ nifty interactive map of wv.

I'm in WV too. I am curious if that map is counting mobile as broadband. I don't know how else they could get 5 or more lol.
 
DgSNwbU.jpg


So in other words you can just look at the political map and see if your state's Internet is "good". Hint: if you're red, you have higher odds that your Internet sucks.

Obligatory: Why? because Obama.
Its a nice setup. Liberal States pay out and the money is used to throw pork at the Republicans States to buy their agreement to policy.

Pretty good explanation why it doesn't matter who is in charge in Congress we seem to keep heading for the same disastrous directions.
 
Expect some hate to be thrown your way on this forum.
But kudus sir. I am glad someone isn't afraid to point how facts

It seems idiots have an endless source of "facts" with which to confirm their own bias. Tell me, what makes a state "Red" or "Blue"? Is state with two Democratic senators, who voted for Romney in 2012 a red or a blue state?

Why does a military base hosted in a certain state count as "welfare"? Why are social security payments, which workers contribute to their entire lives, count as "welfare"?

Why do so many Democrats need perpetual assistance with such basic tasks as registering to vote or getting to the polls? When those buses go from the filthy, crime infested housing projects got to the polls, do you think they're filled with Republican voters?
 
It seems idiots have an endless source of "facts" with which to confirm their own bias. Tell me, what makes a state "Red" or "Blue"? Is state with two Democratic senators, who voted for Romney in 2012 a red or a blue state?

Why does a military base hosted in a certain state count as "welfare"? Why are social security payments, which workers contribute to their entire lives, count as "welfare"?

Why do so many Democrats need perpetual assistance with such basic tasks as registering to vote or getting to the polls? When those buses go from the filthy, crime infested housing projects got to the polls, do you think they're filled with Republican voters?

I see the typos, but can't edit, so whatever.
 
In MI they must of just polled the people in the big cities. Because if you live in the country you have the option of DSL or wireless internet, at least around here. But here is the speed test for my internet which is AT&T wireless.

 
In MI they must of just polled the people in the big cities. Because if you live in the country you have the option of DSL or wireless internet, at least around here. But here is the speed test for my internet which is AT&T wireless.


That's only ever so slightly slower than what I get with my wired dsl line.
 
It serves it's purpose. However in the next couple months I'm supposed to get upgraded to 200/20, friend of mine lives closer to austin and has already gotten his upgrade.

3680173267.png
 
DgSNwbU.jpg


So in other words you can just look at the political map and see if your state's Internet is "good". Hint: if you're red, you have higher odds that your Internet sucks.

Obligatory: Why? because Obama.

Don't you just hate those moocher states, sucking on teet of federal government, looking for handouts and doing nothing to earn it? I have been a long time proponent of breaking California away from the Union... it wouldn't like the rest of US would have enough money to do anything about it after we left.:p
 
I wish they'd get rid of the disparity of upload and download speed already!

3616637193.png

problem is that most technology is not designed in that way. They give us better download by stealing from the upload side. It will still be some time before technology catches up with the actual needs of people now.


In MI they must of just polled the people in the big cities. Because if you live in the country you have the option of DSL or wireless internet, at least around here. But here is the speed test for my internet which is AT&T wireless.


I would actually guess rural areas probably more than the larger cities.
 
In MI they must of just polled the people in the big cities. Because if you live in the country you have the option of DSL or wireless internet, at least around here. But here is the speed test for my internet which is AT&T wireless.


Eeyup.. exactly the same thing here. Live between two towns and we can only get a shitty wireless connection. Speeds range from 1.75Mbps to 5Mbps on a very good day. Average is 1.75-3.5Mbps.
 
My options here are listed as top speed of 5Mbs. The price ranges any where from $40 dollars a month, which I pay to $100 a month. For unlimited plans, you either have to go with Casair, or if you had AT&T or Verizon when they had the unlimted plan and stayed grand fathered in. If you go with AT&T, Verizon, or MISpot they have only tiered plans which you better hang on because they just bend you over. Most of the people around here are on Casair because their plans are unlimted. They just cap the data speeds on their plans. Frontier, use to be Verizon, has DSL out here, but they haven't had any openings to get a DSL hookup in the 10 yrs I have lived here.
 
Back
Top