The Apple Tax: America's Costly Obsession

Isn't there a certain smugness from the non-Apple users though also ... everyone has something they are willing to pay more for because they perceive a quality or value benefit or just have a personal preference ... for me that translates to ASICS and Mizuno running shoes ... for others it might be their BMW or Mercedes or Mini Cooper tax ... the comment about the iCloud lock in was pretty ridiculous, but I suspect even among Android users there are a fair number of low wattage bulbs on the Christmas Tree that share similar views ;)

Personally you couldn't pay me to use an Apple computer or laptop (you couldn't pay me to use a Chrome or Android or Linux one either) ... but for some people they view them with the same value as I would a Microsoft based system ... until we close down all the name brand clothes outlets (Polo, etc) and make everyone wear Converse tennis shoes rather than Nike, Reebok, Asics, Mizuno, and the like ... and get rid of high end brands like Rolex we might want to look at our overall consumption of all products around the world (not just in the USA) and not at just our Apple taxes (more of our excessive consumption taxes) ;)

That's why I like Japan. All your big fashion, isn't even name brand crap. Everyone buys the cheapness, even your movie stars, singers, etc.

Course they are very nationalistic when it comes to consumer goods. They'll buy the Japanese model, even though another equivalent S.Korea/American/etc product is cheaper.

In 2011, the average amount U.S. households spent on Apple products was $444, according to Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty.......Apple products are a must-have this holiday season

Not for this US household, and not for myself or anyone I'm getting a gift for.

I enjoy my Apple devices. Purchasing content on them is no different than using Amazon or any other device. I have been using the itunes store for years. I have also used Amazon and some of the others. You can pry my iphone from my cold dead hands.

You can't just store things in iCloud without using local storage?

Nope. With exception to iOS device backups, everything on icloud is also stored locally.

Don't think of it as a storage mechanism as much as it is a way to sync multiple devices with all the same content (contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc). Hell, photos aren't even stored in the cloud (outside of the backups) unless the person is using photostream. Otherwise they're all stored locally.

From the article:

Ok, so it's poor financial planning and borderline mentally-challenged judgement while shopping. While I'm no Apple fan, tons of companies exist because of knuckle dragging mindless consumer sheep.

+1 This.

Nope. With exception to iOS device backups, everything on icloud is also stored locally.

Don't think of it as a storage mechanism as much as it is a way to sync multiple devices with all the same content (contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc). Hell, photos aren't even stored in the cloud (outside of the backups) unless the person is using photostream. Otherwise they're all stored locally.

I should of also noted that some games will also use icloud for saves that aren't necessarily stored locally. So if you play 'x' game on your phone... get home and jump onto your iPad (or another device) and pickup where you left off.

Hmm... I thought "Apple tax" was the extra you paid for the Apple logo compared to a similarly spec-ed product from another manufacturer.

From the article:

Ok, so it's poor financial planning and borderline mentally-challenged judgement while shopping. While I'm no Apple fan, tons of companies exist because of knuckle dragging mindless consumer sheep.

It's their money. Let them spend it how they want to. They fell in love. Apple is doing something right.

I'm sure many consumers compared competing products before deciding to buy Apple.
I have to admit, they're built nicely, and competitors try to copy them. People like nice shit.

I'm perfectly fine with my plasticky shit and lack of apple logo. I seldom attach myself to one particular brand.

When I was young (and dumb and full of, well, yeah) I thought this too.

Then I got older and found that I'm highly irritated by the locust mentality of idiots who don't plan further ahead than 5 minutes into the future, i.e., they spend the money on gee-gaws for transitory ephemeral pleasure rather than save for their future needs.

When the inevitable misfortune befalls them, they expect the rest of us to "fix it" for them.

Surely, go ahead and spend $5000 on "stuff" that requires another $1200/year to use on a network. But do it after you plug those numbers into a spreadsheet and realize you're pissing away a large amount of cash you're going to need in retirement.

And no, "dying young" doesn't take the place of a financial strategy...unless you're prepared to follow through on that when you unexpectedly live to age 68 and find yourself without savings.

Then I got older and found that I'm highly irritated by the locust mentality of idiots who don't plan further ahead than 5 minutes into the future, i.e., they spend the money on gee-gaws for transitory ephemeral pleasure rather than save for their future needs.

When the inevitable misfortune befalls them, they expect the rest of us to "fix it" for them.

Surely, go ahead and spend $5000 on "stuff" that requires another $1200/year to use on a network. But do it after you plug those numbers into a spreadsheet and realize you're pissing away a large amount of cash you're going to need in retirement.

And no, "dying young" doesn't take the place of a financial strategy...unless you're prepared to follow through on that when you unexpectedly live to age 68 and find yourself without savings.

Why let it bother you? People are going to do what they're going to do regardless of what anyone thinks.

It's really annoying when ya see someone at a super wallmart, using a benefits card to buy food, yet have 3 xbox games and a TV in their cart... but until people/the govt stops giving out handouts to freeloaders, ya just gotta roll your eyes and worry about yourself. Reality will come and slap them in the face eventually.

Apple tax - peace of mind for me.

Microsoft tax - 24/7 IT support for all my relatives and friends. Stress level is off the charts.

I've never noticed any more tech support spent on Windows based compuiters than I have for Apple based computers. But hey, if you feel the need to justify the money spent there, good for you.

It's a sad state of affairs, but keep in mind that's how the US' economy sustains itself. It's the people that spend most of their paychecks that keep the big businesses making money, in the end.

There is a point that you need to understand that these people might be screwing themselves over, but there's only so much you can do for them. You might as well get investments in stocks that take advantage of the money they spend to help yourself out.

OMG! Americans consume, film at 11.

Story is Idiotic, replace "Apple" with Android, or Microsoft, Time Warner Cable, or any other consumer product or service that requires upgrades, being maintained, or subscribed too.

Uh, what? Exactly what does Time Warner Cable or Microsoft have that compares with ITunes? Even Google Play's selections are cheap and limited, and nowhere near what Apple provides, and there certainly aren't a litany of Android music players, laptops, monitors, etc that begin to compare with Apple's offerings. Your comparison is pretty weak.

After thinking a lot about this, I'm pretty sure I just don't care if someone spends their money on something.

Uh, what? Exactly what does Time Warner Cable or Microsoft have that compares with ITunes? Even Google Play's selections are cheap and limited, and nowhere near what Apple provides, and there certainly aren't a litany of Android music players, laptops, monitors, etc that begin to compare with Apple's offerings. Your comparison is pretty weak.

I think you missed the point completely.

People don't NEED cable TV, Xbox live, BMW's, etc, etc, etc... especially when money is tight... but millions of Americans (and others alike) buy those things anyway. Even when cheaper alternatives are available.

Why let it bother you? People are going to do what they're going to do regardless of what anyone thinks.

It's really annoying when ya see someone at a super wallmart, using a benefits card to buy food, yet have 3 xbox games and a TV in their cart... but until people/the govt stops giving out handouts to freeloaders, ya just gotta roll your eyes and worry about yourself. Reality will come and slap them in the face eventually.

It bothers some people because they have a strong desire to tell other people how to live their lives. Whether it's how they spend their money, what they eat, what they watch or listen to, what kind of car they drive, etc...someone always gets angry enough that they conclude "Welp, this is no longer acceptable. The government needs to stop them from doing this because I don't like it."

Whether it's keeping marijuana illegal, outlawing 16 ounce sodas, constantly increasing cigarette taxes, giving incentives to people who buy hybrid cars, getting movies/tv shows/books/video games banned or otherwise restricted...someone will always embrace the State in order to feel better about themselves.

I think you missed the point completely.

People don't NEED cable TV, Xbox live, BMW's, etc, etc, etc... especially when money is tight... but millions of Americans (and others alike) buy those things anyway. Even when cheaper alternatives are available.

I agree. I'm just stating that it was a poor example, and that Apple is, in fact, a particularly apposite example of consumerism, in that Apple's product and service lineup is far more vast than most companies in terms of appealing to the average buyer.

After thinking a lot about this, I'm pretty sure I just don't care if someone spends their money on something.

You traitor! Spy! Harlot! Thou can not be a true [H]'er and also not care what other people spend their money on! What is this treachery of the highest order!! :mad:

Whether it be caring about what company someone buys software from, what game someone buys, what video card someone buys, what CPU they buy, whether or not they use their money to buy guns, you must care or else you do not belong here! :eek:

You traitor! Spy! Harlot! Thou can not be a true [H]'er and also not care what other people spend their money on! What is this treachery of the highest order!! :mad:

Whether it be caring about what company someone buys software from, what game someone buys, what video card someone buys, what CPU they buy, whether or not they use their money to buy guns, you must care or else you do not belong here! :eek:

Gee, if you get that mad at me for not caring, it's a good thing you don't know it was me that knocked over your mailbox with my car this morning. :) I'd never hear the end of it.

My perception of people is based on how many GFLOPs their processor has.

Gee, if you get that mad at me for not caring, it's a good thing you don't know it was me that knocked over your mailbox with my car this morning. :) I'd never hear the end of it.

No, disregard for others emotions/property/intelligence is fine on [H], if anything it is necessary! One's caring of how others spend their money must be completely selfish to be a true [H] member and contributor :D

No, disregard for others emotions/property/intelligence is fine on [H], if anything it is necessary! One's caring of how others spend their money must be completely selfish to be a true [H] member and contributor :D

Oh well in that case, I stole your goldfish to feed my cat. :)

Oh well in that case, I stole your goldfish to feed my cat. :)

That's more like it! Except I've never had a goldfish, but at least you're on the right path. Now you just have to start caring that I spent my money on a comet goldfish instead of a fantail goldfish.

That's more like it! Except I've never had a goldfish, but at least you're on the right path. Now you just have to start caring that I spent my money on a comet goldfish instead of a fantail goldfish.

Or alternately pontificate on how comet goldfish are a secret mechanism of the State and that by purchasing them you are fostering the State in their nefarious Comet Goldfish scheme to control and regulate all of your goldfish freedom of choice ... that seems to work well also :D

What? You actually bought one of those comet goldfishes...instead of a fantail?! You do realize that the fantails have a far better food to growth ratio and are more agnostic to changes in water temperature, don't you? I hope you like comet goldfish lock-in because now you're going to have to buy a more accurate water heating unit and probably have to use more expensive filter charcoal packets. How could you waste your money on something like that?! You should have at least asked the [H] community for their opinions and done a little bit of research first. Enjoy constantly fussing over your stupid fish! :mad:

Apple taxes are voluntary, meaning the consumer has a choice as to whether he pays them. Only imbeciles pay taxes they are not required to pay. While evading taxes isn't legal, avoiding them is always legal, and he who avoids Apple taxes by refusing to squander his money on Apple products is a wise man, indeed.

Many is the man I've seen transformed from a burbling, slobbering, drooling Apple customer, frothing and foaming at the mouth, into a cool and collected genius-level customer simply by putting Apple out of sight and out of mind. Forgetting an Apple product per day makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise, Confucius say.

Or alternately pontificate on how comet goldfish are a secret mechanism of the State and that by purchasing them you are fostering the State in their nefarious Comet Goldfish scheme to control and regulate all of your goldfish freedom of choice ... that seems to work well also :D

It's true, fantails are more well-documented, popular, and less expensive. Who knows what goes on inside a comet goldfish when you're not at home to monitor it. It could be spying on you in the middle of the night and you'd never know it because no one has bothered to analyze its post-feeding output packets. OMG, I can't believe we're even talking about this. How could you betray the community like this?

What? You actually bought one of those comet goldfishes...instead of a fantail?! You do realize that the fantails have a far better food to growth ratio and are more agnostic to changes in water temperature, don't you? I hope you like comet goldfish lock-in because now you're going to have to buy a more accurate water heating unit and probably have to use more expensive filter charcoal packets. How could you waste your money on something like that?! You should have at least asked the [H] community for their opinions and done a little bit of research first. Enjoy constantly fussing over your stupid fish! :mad:

I lol'd at both of these, haha.

It's true, fantails are more well-documented, popular, and less expensive. Who knows what goes on inside a comet goldfish when you're not at home to monitor it. It could be spying on you in the middle of the night and you'd never know it because no one has bothered to analyze its post-feeding output packets. OMG, I can't believe we're even talking about this. How could you betray the community like this?

Now you're starting to sound like a real [H] member! :D

OMG! Americans consume, film at 11.

Story is Idiotic, replace "Apple" with Android, or Microsoft, Time Warner Cable, or any other consumer product or service that requires upgrades, being maintained, or subscribed too.

Go off the grid! join the Amish, oh, wait, they use tech now too.

Exactly. I have been able to use nearly all of my accessories (short of cases) among all of the iOS devices that my family has purchased, and even going back to original dock-connector iPod. Yet I have friends that have had to get new accessories when upgrading among same-generation-but-different devices by the same manufacturer!

Exactly. I have been able to use nearly all of my accessories (short of cases) among all of the iOS devices that my family has purchased, and even going back to original dock-connector iPod. Yet I have friends that have had to get new accessories when upgrading among same-generation-but-different devices by the same manufacturer!

The salad days are over since they've gone to a new connector. But good on them for keeping the same connector for so long. It shows they understand the value of a robust 3rd party accessory ecosystem--something that a lot of other manufacturers could learn from.

Well, yes, but you can work at it. You also have to maintain this level of needless indignation for months on end before we can truly call you [H].

So I'm going to angrily mention the goldfish in other, unrelated threads while also claiming that I've put you on ignore even though I haven't and it's completely obvious that I know when you're making a post because I keep mentioning the fishes. :D

So I'm going to angrily mention the goldfish in other, unrelated threads while also claiming that I've put you on ignore even though I haven't and it's completely obvious that I know when you're making a post because I keep mentioning the fishes. :D

hB47BE7B1

Yeah, Apple should switch to plastic cases and 1.2" thick laptop models so they can sell $379 models. And maybe Apple should dump iTMS and piggyback on MS's or Walmart's music stores.

Story was stupid. There are cheaper options, it's just that some people are willing to pay more. Most people, except for those still buying stand-alone media players, tend to not buy Apple products by very large majorities.

Maybe, but I can't think of anyone I know who is struggling to put food on the table using the latest and greatest expensive toys. Maybe people bitching about not having enough money, but not really anyone who is legitimately struggling.

Perhaps I just hang around more sane people :D
Maybe more to do with the area than who I hang with. I may have exaggerated a litrtle, but not all that much in some cases I've seen. And like I said, it's not just Apple's shiny toys, it bleeds over. It seems like common sense and wisdom have become endangered species.

Back