The Annarchy Case... COMPLETED!

altmann

Limp Gawd
OK, well, I must start this off with a disclaimer:

1. I am a happily married man.
2. The idea for this case was (well kinda) not mine.

3. Go here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-07-11&res=l

Now, to start things off, I was going to go to PAX 05, and I figured.. what better way to pay tribute to those fine guys over at penny arcade then to make... THE ANNARCHY CASE!

if you have read the comic you'll know what I'm talking about (or maybe not, it was only in one frame of one strip). Needless to say, the case caused quite a reaction at the Expo. And I must add that were i NOT a married man, the chance certainly presented itself to entertain the many ladies that came calling by to see the masterpiece.

enough talking.. let's get started.

I started off by thinking like a little girl... kinda. I figured that annarchy would have probably modded just a beige plain case. I went over to newegg and bought this fine puppy:

01begfront.jpg

02begfrontclose.jpg

then I started painting:

03frontmask.jpg

My Horrible masking job

04masked.jpg

more masking, ready to prime...

05primedside.jpg

and... side panel 1... PRIMED!

06primedfront.jpg

The front primed.

by the way, I did more than one coat, I just forget to take pictures and stuff.

NEXT. I went over to my hobby shop and bought... pink paint. Now, little did I know but the paint i got was FLORAL PAINT.. WTF is floral paint you ask? GOOD QUESTION. You paint fake FLOWERS with it... ARGHH!!! Well, I'm lazy at this point and the expo is a week away, I'll just do a million coats (because this stuff don't lay on easy. (as an interesting side note, I think they scent it.. because I wanted to eat the stuff it smelled so good)

PICS:
07firstpinkside.jpg

After a couple coats on the side.

08firstcoatfront.jpg

09firstcoatfront2.jpg

This is the first coat on the main body. As you can see, it's crap-tastic paint. But smells good!

I won't bore you... but I eventually got a good even coating around the whole thing.

uhmmm... (*hears tamberine crash*)

So where's the rest?? :)

sorry! Company came in the middle of my next post! here it goes:

Step 2: THE PONY

I was at a loss on how to actually get the pony picture onto the side of the case. Decal? Airbrush? Vynil? All of these were not viable for me in one way or another. Also, I wanted it to look like a little girl painted it. At first, I thought maybe those puff paints, but then I decided against it. I eventually went with enamel markers.

11aMarkers.jpg

Now, what could THESE be for?

12ponyoutline.jpg

I had an artist friend faithfully re-create the drawing

14ponywhite.jpg

and the beginning

15ponyyello.jpg

yellow is added

16ponyblue.jpg

Blue...

18finalponycolors.jpg

eh... skip a bunch of steps, and the pony is complete!

22finalsidepanel.jpg

The FINAL, exact and faithful reproduction..

While I'm doing the pony I had a great Idea, I have an extra mouse, lets do that!
19mousepre.jpg

The mouse before

26mousefinal.jpg

The mouse AFTER

i also did the DVD drive:

27dvdfinal.jpg

Aww, aint she PURDY?!

Now, in the comic, Gabe only draws ONE side of the computer. I'm left with my imagination and creativity on the rest... what to do... what to do!?!

What do little girls like? (besides ponies)... HEARTS! VIOLA... here it goes:

23heartsideoutline.jpg

the outline

24heartsidecut.jpg

dremel dremel dremel.....

25heartsidelined.jpg

Automotive door lining FTW....

At this point, I went into OVERDRIVE. I left for the expo on Thurs morning and it was Tues night... and I hadn't painted this or anything. So, you'll see a massive gap in picures as I was not to be bothered with them.... but here are some more...

28frontbuttons.jpg

ooh... rhinestones!!!

THE FINAL CASE....

I transferred my computer into the case... and it... CAME ALIVE... I put pink (red but we all know it's really pink) CCFLs and a quad colored 120mm fan on the back. I also tried like 3 different ribbons to put on the back, but I could never really settle on one. The airflow was horrible, so I simply dremeled out the back fangril and curled up some of that ribbon you use for wrapping presents... that's what you see fluttering in the back.

29darkness.jpg

Taken at the doubletree in bellvue...

34finalfront.jpg

The final front.

35finalside.jpg

the pony side in all it's glory...

38finalheart.jpg

pink... ITS MY NEW OBSESSION...

36finalside2.jpg

PINK... it's not even a QUESTION.....

37finalback.jpg

the back/side (why do i need to even write captions?)

Wait.. whats this?!

HELLS YEAH BABY!!!!

31tycho2.jpg

30Tycho.jpg

Tycho.. gracing me with his presence

33Gabe.jpg

32Gabe2.jpg

Von Gabriel... i think the dude behind him is actually hard....

PAX was awesome... I got in early to the event (before the pre-registrants) I didn't wait in line for tickets to anything(somehow I'd get them given to me) I met everyone I wanted to and overall it was an awesome time.

By the way, this is my first mod :eek: and it's been really helpful to see the forums and what others have done. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

P.S. It takes every ounce of manhood to stand in the doll section of the hobby store asking which markers make up a rainbow....

39signatures.jpg

but it's all worth it....

Nice case, not the most orignal, but funny. It was a good idea and turned out really well.

It'd have been even better if you'd had more time for this mod. I mean, the pink paint could be more, well, pink, and there are all kinds of small details, such as the pony in the strip having a star on her side, but a heart in the reproduction.

Other than that, great idea and good job! :)

(I'd no idea that Gabriel and Tycho looked like that... somewhat I had imagined them more youthful. Or something. Gabriel has that 'geek'-look thing, though ^_- )

He he! Cool case. The DecoColor markers worked a lot better then I would have expected.

P.S. Aerosmith Rocks :)

Hah hah, and here I was thinking "The Anarchy Case" was some bad-assed black and red case.. sure fooled me. ;)

that's awesome :cool:

those markers could really come in handy... i'll have to look into getting some.
i'm invincible!

Honey, it looks great!
Looks like your sister's My Little Pony stuff...
Love, Mom

....but..........but...........but...........k I'm speechless. I'm not so sure that's in a good way though.

Qtip42 said:
....but..........but...........but...........k I'm speechless. I'm not so sure that's in a good way though.
So you're thinking that someone who makes a casemod from My Little Pony "clearly has issues..."? :D

I'm thinking that is an awesome mod-- especially for a first project! Nice job altmann!

awesome job, funny that the paint was wrong, but oh so sinfully right (since it was so girly and the smell would go perfect with it, lawl)

if you have plans to do another mod, i would be totally interested to see it

PAX is awesome...

Penny Arcade is awesome

Jerry & Mike ....coolest MoFo's out there.

'nuff said ;)

Oh...nice case too!

Thanks guys! I can't believe I made the homepage! BTW, that really was my mom... lol, I sent her the link and I never thought she'd actually POST...

I have plans for something else... I'll keep y'all updated.

It was so worth it to be able to meet Gabe and Tycho... the response was overwhelming at PAX.

If there was ever a computer to pick up chicks... this be it. (Fortunately, I'm married, so my recepters were turned off for the duration of PAX allowing me to focus on the more important issue of consuming about 4 tins of BAWLS mints a day and playing CS:S till my eyes bled)

My daughter would kill for that case, she is 3 years old and my little pony is her favorite. Great job mate!

Hey! cool case!
can you make one for my wife?
How much? (if yes)
PM me.

Just wondering what you painted/clear coated the mouse with, I started painting my mouse(maybe I didn't do enough of a clear coat or enough paint)

Also, PROPS on the case, great job.

Great case guy! Most wouldn't get caught dead with Pink anything, My nephew included, He bought a pink house w/dark brown trim from His Mom and repainted It white w/green trim and all the rooms inside are white too. So there is nothing wrong with being different, Even though kids when I was growing up thought that different was bad. It isn't, It's just different. :D

When I saw "The Annarchy Case" this was the last thing I expected... hahaha, nice job though. :)

Strawberry Swirl eat your freakin' heart out! I think you are on to something here, you can make a computer case to match up with each of the 1,051 different ponies. I hope on boot up it plays the My Little Pony theme song. :D

It is funny that no one outside of Penny-Arcade fans get the Annarchy reference. I posted the mod yesterday and in 10 minutes, 5 people e-mailed me to say I spelled Anarchy wrong so I changed it to "My Little Pony" case mod. :D

Back