The Amazing ArctiClean system

IceEmQuick

n00b
I know some of you on here are familiar with Arctic Silver, and fewer of you have knowledge of there best of class heat sink removal system called ArctiClean, but what I discovered is what else it can do.

For years I had matching color duct tape running across the top of my monitors holding down my center speaker. With it being black, you couldn't tell. Well I replaced that monitor and the duct tape left behind some of the nastiest stickiest stuff I have seen. I tried dry sponges, the green rough scrubber back of the sponges, wet and dry. And then I realized I needed a Solvent. Well it so happens that ArctiClean #1 is an all natural Soy based solvent (go look at all of its amazing reviews, bing or google it and you will see why everyone loves it).

So I put a few drops of it on the area where the tape stickies were at..... waited 30'seconds and it literally wiped off with a paper towel.... almost didn't need any pressure.

I though I would bring this up because I'm sure people who case mod or change out stuff have stickers that leave a stick residue you can't get gone easily without scratching your surface, well as Desmond from LOST would say, "trust me brother" this will work, and it won't dull the plastic or anything.

Hope this Tip o' Day helps someone.

Remember use at your own risk....

Rubbing alcohol is a cheaper more readily available alternative. Acetone also works.
Goo Gone also does well at removing sticker residue (but shouldn't be used for removing TIM, of course).

Rubbing alcohol is a cheaper more readily available alternative. Acetone also works.
Goo Gone also does well at removing sticker residue (but shouldn't be used for removing TIM, of course).

This. ArctiClean is a waste of money. There are plenty of solvents that work better and are cheaper. Your paying for a brand name and that is all.

i wouldnt use acetone on plastic, but even wd-40 will get that crap off in a pinch. when i worked at a bike shop the digusting triathletes used to stick all kinds of things to their bikes (including half eaten power bars and syrupy drink spillage) wd40 got most of it off without ruining the plastic based paint

Goo-gone also works well as a first stage cleaner; it does leave a greasy film afterwards but that is much easier clean off than the gunk that it usually takes off.

rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, acetone, goo gone, etc. acetone is the most dangerous though. anything plastic or painted is a bad idea.

I think ArctiClean is just a citrus based cleaner, it smells very similar to Muc-Off (for bicycles) and Sticky Stuff Remover (De-Solv-It) Wasting Arcticlean on general cleaning is going to be very expensive compared with the alternatives.

Rubbing alcohol is a cheaper more readily available alternative.
I suppose it depends where you live, when I tried to buy high purity Isopropyl it wasn't available in small quantities, ArctiClean proved to be the cheaper option

i have a can of cigaret lighter fluid i have been using for removing artic silver and also for removing adhesive type gunk. it cost me $1.29 and i have had it for about 6 years. so far.

Rubbing alcohol never worked as well as arctic clean for me... I won't use goo-gone on a processor though...

Rubbing alcohol never worked as well as arctic clean for me...
It may be that you didn't have the right stuff? 'Rubbing alcohol' is pretty vague and may not be at all suitable, always be sure to use 99% pure or better isopropyl alcohol - this is what you need so that it all evaporates off without leaving any residue.

I won't use goo-gone on a processor though...
Likewise, I'd always play safe and use whatever the thermal grease manufacturer recommends for cleaning their particular product

I used some fairly high percentage stuff and there's alway stuff left-over in the cracks... but Arctic clean was always done a good job, and only takes a couple drops... done 20-30 processors/heatsinks and they always come out clean and I'm pretty sure those bottles will last for a long time. So whatever :D

Add me to the Arctic Clean list of fans, it's cheap and a single set of bottles last a looong time. I don't change heatsinks out so often that it's an issue, but that stuff works.

Back