The Altcoin Thread

I understand more now, but I am still, for lack of a better word... bamboozled!

I'm no longer mining for the sake of converting all proceeds to BTC, im slowly building a portfolio of coins that I feel have long term growth potential looking forward. Ive always been interested in PTS, but my CPU wasn't up to the task to produce any viable returns. Now with GPU mining available I feel that it may be worthwhile to use my hashes towards PTS, but with the advent of Bitshares on the horizon im still not entirely sure why I would want to continue mining PTS besides short term gains.

Ive read the website and numerous forum posts only to come back more confused then when I started. If someone could provide me with an idiots summary as to why its beneficial to currently mine PTS it would mean a lot to me. Thanks!

Now with GPU mining available I feel that it may be worthwhile to use my hashes towards PTS, but with the advent of Bitshares on the horizon im still not entirely sure why I would want to continue mining PTS besides short term gains.

Ive read the website and numerous forum posts only to come back more confused then when I started. If someone could provide me with an idiots summary as to why its beneficial to currently mine PTS it would mean a lot to me. Thanks!

You and me, both!

Going to have to turn on my a/c soon and sell the rig (cannot afford to run both plus heat the place to cool it)

I wonder if I should part it out or if it is worth more together as a rig. Probably more in parts.

What's a 7950 selling for these days, let's see... hmm price seems to be trending down to $200

Going to have to turn on my a/c soon and sell the rig (cannot afford to run both plus heat the place to cool it)

I wonder if I should part it out or if it is worth more together as a rig. Probably more in parts.

What's a 7950 selling for these days, let's see... hmm price seems to be trending down to $200
I made that tough decision a couple days ago. I have my 7970s up for $250 shipped on a couple forums and haven't even had a nibble.

The market is flooded right now and is basically the worst time to sell. If I didn't actually need the money now I would try and wait a month or two until the market isn't as saturated. Then again it might be even worse by then, who knows.

Don't sell your cards!

Find another algo and keep at it or just turn rigs off and wait for the right moment.

i think it's funny there were multiple members of H who were wishing death on us miners for "jacking up their GPU prices"

now that the market is in freefall, prices of GPU's are dropping like rocks. I already know what's going to happen though, even though a 290X is now 250 cheaper than it used to be they will *still* complain that it's only slightly below MSRP. I've learned that most people like this, you could sell it for $100 dollars and they would still find something to bitch about. These are the people too cheap to ever move on anything they think they want.

Personally - I'm going to keep mining with my 7Mhash since power is dirt cheap here in TX. Since I live alone it means I can put my hot rigs in part of the house nobody is ever in anyways. Long as my bedroom is cool I'm happy.

now that the market is in freefall

Eh, it fell. I wouldn't say it's free falling still. If power is cheap enough, or power isn't a factor, there is still free money to be made.

Personally, I'm glad the boys are dropping out of the race. :D

Yea electricity is cheap where I live. Still will make $350 a month mining away.

Prices go back up I make even more :)

oh i would agree with most -- I'm continuing to mine myself :)

Paying 5.5 cents per kwh means I can stay in the race longer. I've already setup my house such that even with the Texas heat coming I'll still be pretty cool. Instead of cooling the entire 1600+ sq ft house with the main AC, I bought a 10K BTU portable AC unit on wheels. Piped the exhaust all slick out to the backyard through a wall. Rest of the house can be hot as hell, I'll be cool as a cucumber where I spend most of my time anyway.

Sad to see LTC difficulty at 6K right now tough.

Lol people are asking near MSRP for shit cards that have been abused and run extremely hard. Which is why no one is buying them unless they are super cheap or still under a transferable warranty.

Lol people are asking near MSRP for shit cards that have been abused and run extremely hard. Which is why no one is buying them unless they are super cheap or still under a transferable warranty.

You do realize the card are made to run that hard? Otherwise most companies wouldn't include 2-3 year warranty.

Now Overclocked or modded/watercooler GPU's used for mining is a different story.

You do realize the card are made to run that hard? Otherwise most companies wouldn't include 2-3 year warranty.

Now Overclocked or modded/watercooler GPU's used for mining is a different story.
Im not even going to bite the bait. Im not here to buy abused cards from miners who want out. You need to convince those people not me lol.

Im not even going to bite the bait. Im not here to buy abused cards from miners who want out. You need to convince those people not me lol.

I don't have to convince anyone. If there is still a warranty on a card I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I am waiting for them to go down in price so I can buy 3-4 more that are still under warranty.

Lol people are asking near MSRP for shit cards that have been abused and run extremely hard.

Yeah much better to buy a card used for "gaming" inside a case that ran 95C on the GPU and over 100 on the VRM's, obviously.

Improper cooling is what can kill a card, I've never seen anything else do it. I have been running 15 GPUs for about 2 years straight now, and the failure rate is zero. The same as for my gaming cards.

Miners tend to tweak for efficiency and run fans at levels that would not be tolerated by gamers. As such, I think there is no evidence that mining cards have an above average failure rate. It's entirely speculative and based largely on ignorance.

Yeah much better to buy a card used for "gaming" inside a case that ran 95C on the GPU and over 100 on the VRM's, obviously.

Improper cooling is what can kill a card, I've never seen anything else do it. I have been running 15 GPUs for about 2 years straight now, and the failure rate is zero. The same as for my gaming cards.

Miners tend to tweak for efficiency and run fans at levels that would not be tolerated by gamers. As such, I think there is no evidence that mining cards have an above average failure rate. It's entirely speculative and based largely on ignorance.

The problem is that we don't really have a reliable statistic on it, and as you said anecdotal evidence from forums doesn't mean anything (you hear of many dead cards in the mining network as you hear of in the gaming network), so it's kind of a shot in the dark. :(

The problem is that we don't really have a reliable statistic on it, and as you said anecdotal evidence from forums doesn't mean anything (you hear of many dead cards in the mining network as you hear of in the gaming network), so it's kind of a shot in the dark. :(

Well to be honest, buying a new card is a shot in the dark. Some cards come shipped DOA.

Well to be honest, buying a new card is a shot in the dark. Some cards come shipped DOA.
True, but generally you have x days to return it free of charge if that happens and either get another or get refunded, so buying from a big store is safer than buying a user card from a random person (unless you know him in person and can go meet him with a spiked club if there are issues).

True, but generally you have x days to return it free of charge if that happens and either get another or get refunded, so buying from a big store is safer than buying a user card from a random person (unless you know him in person and can go meet him with a spiked club if there are issues).

If the card is still under warranty you can put in an RMA for the card and get a new one.

Just my 0.02c.

I'm pretty surprised at what people ask for used gear in general anyway. If something is still available new, I won't pay more than about 70% of the new price (msrp or less) for something used. Ever.

But in the end prices are always set by buyers, so everything that sells was priced correctly and everything that doesn't sell wasn't.

Whether a card was used for mining or gaming is irrelevant to the life of the card because with both, your level of abuse is limited by the need for long-term stability. What I'd stay away from is benching gear, as benching doesn't have that innate limitation. Don't see too much of that for sale though because it usually gets killed.

Yeah, but you gotta wait for the RMA, which takes at least 2 weeks. :(

2 weeks if you were lucky - with MSI I was down one 7970 for exactly a month before I Had something back in my hand. (and I had to fight tooth and nail to get an equivalent card) In the end it worked out and I'm happy.

I've heard other companies like gigabyte and XFX are on top of their game though when it comes to RMA's

Careful! He was sitting in almost 150 BTC for months, then dumped most of it in the last 2 days. Be prepared to wait a while.

You are the one dangling bait my friend. That said, my cards are under about 72c 24/7, fans spinning at 25-30%. The cards I put in my gaming rig suffer a lot more than that silliness.

You are the one dangling bait my friend. That said, my cards are under about 72c 24/7, fans spinning at 25-30%. The cards I put in my gaming rig suffer a lot more than that silliness.

Amen.

Careful! He was sitting in almost 150 BTC for months, then dumped most of it in the last 2 days. Be prepared to wait a while.

Yep, i waited about 2 weeks for my unexchanged to pay out, not that i'm in a hurry to get a payout but that pool has been far too sketchy lately.

I don't think its worth arguing over it or not. Some miners have their cards OCed and high temps and others have them undervolted and open air + external fans. You can bet a lot of people didn't take care of their stuff well, while others look after it like a child. Its all dependent on the seller, so some deals will be good, and others will be awful. Just cover your ass if you are buying :)

I don't think its worth arguing over it or not. Some miners have their cards OCed and high temps and others have them undervolted and open air + external fans. You can bet a lot of people didn't take care of their stuff well, while others look after it like a child. Its all dependent on the seller, so some deals will be good, and others will be awful. Just cover your ass if you are buying :)

I did say my cards. I can't vouch for others. :D

Anyone following BlackCoin from the EU - I have n EU node now on my pool! Link in signature.

Does anyone know the relative performance of ScryptGuild?

I really do like scryptguild -- I'd have to say they have the smoothest most reliable site I've seen, but it's taking them a while to build up the pool speed. Currently sitting at around 4.5Ghash, and looking at the charts all they seem to mine is DOGE lately (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I just hate how the pool seems to drop down to 3Ghash every now and then, variance kinda sucks sometimes.

I really do like scryptguild -- I'd have to say they have the smoothest most reliable site I've seen, but it's taking them a while to build up the pool speed. Currently sitting at around 4.5Ghash, and looking at the charts all they seem to mine is DOGE lately (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I just hate how the pool seems to drop down to 3Ghash every now and then, variance kinda sucks sometimes.
Yeah, they are all wasting far too much time on Doge.
Only exception is IpoMiner. Wuher is trying to dump power on new coins to get the most profit out of them, and it often works.

Anybody else having issues with cudaminer and the latest nvidia drivers?
Been having this happen after 8+ hours

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Event ID 4101

Nvidia should have a new driver out soon, maybe it will fix whatever this issue is.

might be selling one of my miners sans the RAM for cheap. It has 2 gigabyte 270x's in it that got me 480khs on both easily and never ran about 55C. PM if your are interested.

I just bought a new 750ti, works fine except for cudaminer and 335 drivers.

LTC is hovering around 11.30, at this point a single 750ti will make you 50 cents a day and won't even cover the power cost.

Back