• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The 6800: Not all the same?

Stuh505

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
488
Slowly starting to realize that the suffix after 6800 means a lot...

there is Ultra, GT, TX...

What is the difference with these? Among the PCIe ones, are they all using the same core as the quadro fx 4400?
 
I've never heard of the TX.

There's the 6800LE, 6800, 6800GT, 6800Ultra. Those are in order of performance.

On AGP, they all use the NV40 core. On PCIe, the GT and Ultra use the NV40, while the 6800 use the NV41 which is natively 12pipes vs the 16 pipes of the NV40.
 
In order of slowest to fastest (stock) -

6800LE -> 6800NU -> 6800 GT -> 6800 Ultra -> 7800 GT -> 7800 GTX.

Note...this is stock. Overclocking and other tricks can change the variables.
 
ShuttleLuv said:
In order of slowest to fastest (stock) -

6800NU > 6800LE > 6800 GT > 6800 Ultra > 7800 GT > 7800 GTX.

Note...this is stock. Overclocking and other tricks can change the variables.

The LE is slower than the NU (6800), is it not?
 
Badger said:
The LE is slower than the NU (6800), is it not?

Correct. The 6800LE has 8 pipelines instead of 12, which is a pretty significant difference. I'd say geforce 6600GT is faster than a 6800LE at stock speeds, but if you can unlock the extra 4 pipelines (or even extra 8 if your really lucky, although I don't think it has a high success rate for getting all 16 pipelines unlocked), it is faster than the 6600GT by a bit.

It should go: 6800LE > 6800NU > 6800 GT > 6800 Ultra > 7800 GT > 7800 GTX.
 
Are they really faster, or are they just faster if you're using games that take advantage of certain features?

Because I would only use it for 3ds max. There is a huge price difference, about $150 up to $650...and I am wondering if I would just be paying for additional game type features, or if they would all perform identically for my purposes.

Thanks!
 
The performance scales in every aspect with each higher card, i.e. faster ram, higher fillrate, better architecture, more efficient pipelines (from NV40 to G70.)
 
ShuttleLuv said:
In order of slowest to fastest (stock) -

6800NU > 6800LE > 6800 GT > 6800 Ultra > 7800 GT > 7800 GTX.

Note...this is stock. Overclocking and other tricks can change the variables.

This guy has all his greater than symbols backwards.
He must be a real math wiz. ;)
 
6800comparisonchart0bu.jpg


The LE version isn't on there but it's not really worth mentioning.

Also, there wouldn't be need for a suffix unless it meant something significant lol.

The price differences should have clue'd you in to the fact that there is a difference in the first place.
 
Another note about the 6800 GT and Ultra is that the Hardware HD Video Decoding doesn't work. The lesser models work fine but I'm still happy about buying a BFG 6800 GT OC (which clocks to >Ultra specs) from Best Buy for $350 though as I currently haven't purchased any HD DVDs.
 
nobi125 said:
6800comparisonchart0bu.jpg


The LE version isn't on there but it's not really worth mentioning.

Also, there wouldn't be need for a suffix unless it meant something significant lol.

The price differences should have clue'd you in to the fact that there is a difference in the first place.

Why isn't the LE worth mentioning?

It's a helluva lot cheaper than other 6800 cards and mine's running with 12
pipes, all 6 vertex shaders and at speeds of 376/850.

Sounds worth mentioning to me.
 
rfwinters77 said:
Why isn't the LE worth mentioning?

It's a helluva lot cheaper than other 6800 cards and mine's running with 12
pipes, all 6 vertex shaders and at speeds of 376/850.

Sounds worth mentioning to me.

1. It is made in far fewer quantities and isn't as easy to find.

2. It was created by Nvidia because manufacturers wanted something to do with cores that couldn't make GT or Ultra or Vanilla specifications. Very few were not crippled cores.

3. The majority of them do not unlock successfuly. If they did the cores would have been used for more expensive cards.

4. In stock form it is bested by the 6600GT in many tests.
 
I wasn't using math here.... :rolleyes:

Just pointing left to right. Way to be a nerdy observer...

To the rest of what I posted - corrected.
 
nobi125 said:
1. It is made in far fewer quantities and isn't as easy to find.

2. It was created by Nvidia because manufacturers wanted something to do with cores that couldn't make GT or Ultra or Vanilla specifications. Very few were not crippled cores.

3. The majority of them do not unlock successfuly. If they did the cores would have been used for more expensive cards.

4. In stock form it is bested by the 6600GT in many tests.

1. Newegg.com has had the Leadtek version in stock as long as I can remember.
Granted, there's no choice but Leadtek, but it comes with some pretty impressive
cooling, so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

2. Of course. No comment.

3. From personal experience and from what I've heard from everyone else, it usually
seems that *at least* 1 extra quad of pipes and both vertex shaders are unlockable
successfully. I'm sure there are people who can't unlock anything, but everyone I've
recommended the card to have been successful in what I just mentioned.

4. Who the hell cares about stock? :p
Seriously though. Anyone buying this card is buying it for the potential to be unlocked.
Gambling with the fates of pixels. :D
 
rfwinters77 said:
It's a helluva lot cheaper than other 6800 cards and mine's running with 12
pipes, all 6 vertex shaders and at speeds of 376/850.

Did you try voltmodding your BIOS? My brother has one that now runs at 1.4v and is capable of 410/850 speeds.

By the way, the ONLY difference between all 6600/6800s is performance. Featurewise they're identical. Just clockspeed and nr of pipes differ.
 
Scali said:
Did you try voltmodding your BIOS? My brother has one that now runs at 1.4v and is capable of 410/850 speeds.

By the way, the ONLY difference between all 6600/6800s is performance. Featurewise they're identical. Just clockspeed and nr of pipes differ.

No. I've never even looked into any type of volt modding.

Maybe that's why my overclocks usually suck. lol

I'm just (over) cautious because if I break something, I wouldn't be
able to replace for for months.
:(
 
I've read on several sites to stay away from anything made by LeadTek because they use inferior Capacitors .....and they will leak ....including their Graphic Cards ! Look on your card or Motherboard to check if any are bulging or worse ....leaking ! Possibly they can be replaced before the Card or Motherboard is ruined !
Google the problem ...to see more info.
 
what?

Leadtek is one of the better gfx card manufacturers

EVGA, XFX, BFG have better warranties
 
Back
Top