The $6 Million Home Theater

HardOCP News

[H] News
I thought having a 13ft screen and 1080p projector made me cool. After seeing this $6 million set up, I am truly humbled. Actually, I can’t think of anyone that wouldn’t be impressed by this set up. Wow. Hit the link above for all the pictures, here’s a couple to get you started:

When it comes to home theaters, I thought I'd seen it all. But nothing's come close to this. First, I'm going to try to describe the sheer magnitude of Jeremy Kipnis' theater. His Stewart Snowmatte laboratory-grade screen is the biggest I've ever seen in a home, and in the back of the theater, there's a Sony ultra-high-resolution (4,096-by-2,160) SRX-S110 digital projector. I'm looking everywhere, jotting down questions, and Kipnis sounds almost giddy talking about his theater's capabilities.

kinda makes you embarrased to even metion a 1080p projector / 160" combo now doesn't it. Damn, this is as impressive as it gets.

$6 million dollar theater in all its glory is capable of seating..... 3 people comfortably.. maybe 10 if guests sit on the floor :p

We were having a discussion about this on HDbits.

We came to the conclusion it looks hideous.. like a corral of speakers and amps in a makeshift library. On top of that, he's hooked up video analog and upconverts to 4k. Component-->Digital converter with no HDCP. lulz

We were having a discussion about this on HDbits.

We came to the conclusion it looks hideous.. like a corral of speakers and amps in a makeshift library. On top of that, he's hooked up video analog and upconverts to 4k. Component-->Digital converter with no HDCP. lulz

c'mon. . . . that is like criticizing the crappy layout of a garage with 20 Lamborghinis in it.

That's some nice stuff he's got there - I'd lose the crappy glass coffee table though. WTF is with that?

McIntosh???? MCINTOSH???? SIX MILLION frigging dollars and he buys MCs? This guy has MUCH more money than sense! :rolleyes:

And yes the setup looks hideous. :mad:

Color me unimpressed.

Granted, I'm not saying I got nicer stuff, its just for 6 million dollars, you figure he'd come up with some way to hide some of the equipment rather than have it all out on display, e-pen0s style.

This system is all e-penis. Why the hell would you fill the room with amps and towers? What about a nice stealth setup with movie curtains on either side of the screen.

Obviously he wants everyone to know how much he spent.

Room for friends to watch the football game? Uh, nevermind.

Its a complete waste if he doesn't play games on that setup.

you know id gladly help him get rid of some of his money that he is wasting....as cool as it looks after about 2 seconds i was like that is just retarded

Way too many speakers for a room that big.

And that Miniature Schnauzer on the couch could be doing so much more :rolleyes:

I'll bet I get more pleasure watching movies on my Tapwave Zodiac while riding the bus.

From a technological point of view, it is an impressive setup.

On a scale of 1 to 10 about a dumb-ass waste of 6 million dollars, it's definitely a 10.

I think it looks really messy. For 6 million I would expect it to sit more than 4 people... I'd want a home theater that is virtually invisible, and looks like the deck of the enterprise or something.

Glad to see some people have money to burn, while the rest of the country is economically depressed. I'm sure it will impress all the homeless.

Yeah, you'd think he'd have movie theatre seating for that amount of money. Cool gear but layout definitely could use some help. When I first saw the pic without reading the headline I thoguht it was some kind of giveaway lol. :eek:

Anyone else notice that there are no speaker wires going to the terminals of the big enclosures in the pic taken from the screen area??

...but it's UGLY. Should have spent some of that money on room aesthetics or maybe increased his budget a little.

Yeah, you'd think he'd have movie theatre seating for that amount of money. Cool gear but layout definitely could use some help. When I first saw the pic without reading the headline I thoguht it was some kind of giveaway lol. :eek:

LOL, yeah, he should mix in a microfiber chaise lounge or something.

If minimal seating were the idea, I'd have put in two recliners with end tables on each side.

For more info:here is a link to his company's website discussing the setup in greater detail. Ultimately, it's a marketing showpiece for his business and it's unlikely that anywhere near $6 million was spent. Despite that, I agree with most posts here....it's atrocious. Just as important, it probably doesn't sound nearly as good as setups costing 1/10th as much, especially when listening to 2-channel music. I'm sure it creates quite the "wall of sound" that is good in some regards, but probably is not the last word in fidelity (I can't imagine that many speakers & obstructions playing well together). McIntosh? Snell? Blah.

Alas, in so far as it's a marketing piece, it was successful.

I have been in $500000 screening rooms that were so awesome I wanted to cry, better than the best screening rooms here in Los Angeles.

I mean, yes, 30 McIntosh monoblock amplifiers for each channel, very impressive, but there is such a thing as diminishing returns after a certain point. Plus there is the question of the amount of electromagnetic radiation in a room of that size. No place that small should have that much juice running through it. You might want to get your sperm count checked after watching a movie in there.

And obviously it is built to show off the gear but designwise it is a nightmare, pretty much the ugliest home theater in the $250000+ range I have ever seen.

I think it looks really messy. For 6 million I would expect it to sit more than 4 people... I'd want a home theater that is virtually invisible, and looks like the deck of the enterprise or something.

2212319103_078faac8b8_o.jpg

1) Link to advertising to link to advertising to second-derivative news item
2) Predictable responses
3) Value?

I would have been more impressed by a 42" tv sitting on a brief case(s) that contained 6 millions dollars.

Also, the physical layout just is a nightmare to maintain, just think about all the surfaces that need to be dusted in the picture. I doubt the owner is doing it. Hope the cleaning lady is getting paid enough to care about not damaging the system. All it takes is for one person to trip over something in that room and you know you can take the guy to the cleaners in a lawsuit.

I would raqther buy a movie complex and make money......
I mean for 6 million you could open a bunch of theaters that were really high end.

Do you get popcorn at this guy's house or what.

Waste of money, but could you imagine LedZeppelin cranked on those bad boys???
THAT would be cool.

The guy has his dog sitting there in one of the promo photos.

I would never let a dog near that room, even if the room was just a marketing showpiece. All it would take is 5 seconds of not watching him, and out comes the tennis ball and all those speakers fall like dominos.

Holy shit that's one crazy setup. 16x18" subs - does he have any teeth left after all the bass? Still, I have to agree - it's kind of an ugly setup... And if I had $6 million to blow, I could find some far better things to do with it.

Also, the physical layout just is a nightmare to maintain, just think about all the surfaces that need to be dusted in the picture. I doubt the owner is doing it. Hope the cleaning lady is getting paid enough to care about not damaging the system. All it takes is for one person to trip over something in that room and you know you can take the guy to the cleaners in a lawsuit.
I agree. It's crazy rediculous overkill but kudos to him, that's his passion! I wonder how many pounds of cable was used in that setup (You don't really see any in the photos). Audiophile grade cabling can look like garden hose and weigh as much (Audioquest I believe makes some pretty hefty cable).

@ The Cleaning Lady: Careful with those tubes!

I think somewhere in the article it said that customer's setup would have everything hidden and not open like his.

You can have all the money in the world... but it can't buy you taste or class.

i hope whoever owns this goes deaf from all the speakers :mad:

Back