The 4K CRT Monitor from 2005 - Siemens SMM21201P MED

200kHz scan rate is insane. Shame it's on the taller axis (it scans in portrait mode). So it's max resolution is lower than what it could do scanning in landscape

The absence of phosphor trails against the all black screen is a beautiful thing. I've never seen that in any crt I've owned.

The absence of phosphor trails against the all black screen is a beautiful thing. I've never seen that in any crt I've owned.
Viewsonic XG in QFT at 85hz is clearer than my old FW-900. Not by much at all but if we’re nit-picking then it is what it is.

interesting, must be one of the very few CRT monitors with very low or 0 phosphor decay in exstence, makes me wonder why they didnt equiped those type of phosphors on all other comercial CRT displays, maybe to save cost? or maybe because its not such a big deal not such a "flaw" to consider.

i personaly find phosphor trails on all CRTs i have seen, including my currents: FW900 and compaq 7550 so insiginificant, barely notable, fast vanishing and mostly notable in high contrast situations like dark games or bright objects against black backgournds, even my eyes dont note this phosphor trails at all in games that are not dark games, most games like fighting, day light based games, etc, in those it really feels free of phosohpor trials that i find phosphor trails not an anoyance at all, specialy compared to today BFI motion clarity based monitors that come with a lot of flaws like more intense flicker perspection than CRTs for 60hz content, reduced brightness even lower than CRTs when matching motion quality mode, requiring high refresh rates and so high capable constant FPS system to overcome those brightness loss, worse flickering, etc issues, crosstalk that dont exit on any CRT i have seen at any refresh rate the support, and however when QFT supposedly improve crosstalk situation in few modern BFI based monitors, still seem to be be unable to 100% eliminate it at all in the whole screen and in all refresh rates the monitor supports, and this just mentioning motion quality related flaws, without taking into account other flaw ones also that dont existing in CRTs like modern monitor non OLED poor blacks, IPS light bleed, light glow, etc.

heck!! i would love to be able to trade all those flawfests modern BFI monitor carry for that insignificant phosphor trail "flaw" from CRTs on modern monitors, that way i would finaly feel worth rather that like a downgrade to finaly replace my CRT monitors to anything modern!

even the LG C1 OLED 55 inch TV i tested from a friend and reported here, still left me dissapointed in this motion clarity regard, even when its 120hz motion quality mode i tested paired with its best BFI mode was very good, and very close to the CRT motion quality, still not as clear as a CRT in motion test, but very close, very CRT like in games, but at the cost of requiring 120 fps constant system (i correct again, it was a C1 model, not C2, i mistakely refered it as a C2 in that report, my friend corrected me its a C1 model )

Viewsonic XG in QFT at 85hz is clearer than my old FW-900. Not by much at all but if we’re nit-picking then it is what it is.

just out of curiosity, i would like to respectfully ask you, what happened with that viewsonic XG2431 60hz BFI mode? this is the second time i see you praising the XG motion at 85hz but not mentioning 60hz at all, when before, you were praising its 60hz motion mode here

by the way in my opinion, i find exaggerated when people claim BFI modern monitors having "clearer" or "better" motion quality than CRTs, since CRT already produce life like clear motion, besting something that is already life like sound exaggerated and in most cased, rather a marketing oriented claim, also i see some claim it because the lack of phosphor trails on BFI modern displays, but to my eyes, phosphor trails is another subject that does not affect the clarity of the moving object, even when in high contrast situation where i see the phosphor trails, the trail is only notable at a side of the moving object, but moving object clarity remains the same as when it is static.

Last edited:
interesting, must be one of the very few CRT monitors with very low or 0 phosphor decay in exstence, makes me wonder why they didnt equiped those type of phosphors on all other comercial CRT displays, maybe to save cost? or maybe because its not such a big deal not such a "flaw" to consider.

i personaly find phosphor trails on all CRTs i have seen, including my currents: FW900 and compaq 7550 so insiginificant, barely notable, fast vanishing and mostly notable in high contrast situations like dark games or bright objects against black backgournds, even my eyes dont note this phosphor trails at all in games that are not dark games, most games like fighting, day light based games, etc, in those it really feels free of phosohpor trials that i find phosphor trails not an anoyance at all, specialy compared to today BFI motion clarity based monitors that come with a lot of flaws like more intense flicker perspection than CRTs for 60hz content, reduced brightness even lower than CRTs when matching motion quality mode, requiring high refresh rates and so high capable constant FPS system to overcome those brightness loss, worse flickering, etc issues, crosstalk that dont exit on any CRT i have seen at any refresh rate the support, and however when QFT supposedly improve crosstalk situation in few modern BFI based monitors, still seem to be be unable to 100% eliminate it at all in the whole screen and in all refresh rates the monitor supports, and this just mentioning motion quality related flaws, without taking into account other flaw ones also that dont existing in CRTs like modern monitor non OLED poor blacks, IPS light bleed, light glow, etc.

heck!! i would love to be able to trade all those flawfests modern BFI monitor carry for that insignificant phosphor trail "flaw" from CRTs on modern monitors, that way i would finaly feel worth rather that like a downgrade to finaly replace my CRT monitors to anything modern!

even the LG C1 OLED 55 inch TV i tested from a friend and reported here, still left me dissapointed in this motion clarity regard (i correct again, it was a C1 model, not C2, i mistakely refered it as a C2 in that report, my friend corrected me its a C1 model )

just out of curiosity, i would like to respectfully ask you, what happened with that viewsonic XG2431 60hz BFI mode? this is the second time i see you praising the XG motion at 85hz but not mentioning 60hz at all, when before, you were praising its 60hz motion mode here

by the way in my opinion, i find exaggerated when people claim BFI modern monitors having "clearer" or "better" motion quality than CRTs, since CRT already produce life like clear motion, besting something that is already life like sound exaggerated and in most cased, rather a marketing oriented claim, also i see some claim it because the lack of phosphor trails on BFI modern displays, but to my eyes, phosphor trails is another subject that does not affect the clarity of the moving object, even when in high contrast situation where i see the phosphor trails, the trail is only notable at a side of the moving object, but moving object clarity remains the same as when it is static.
I’m clearly attempting to pull the wool over your eyes. My Viewsonic stock depends on my pumping it up on the forums so I’m trying to make the terrible 60hz mode memory hole.

Seriously, drop the detective shtick. Your question is dripping with the premise that I’m trying to campaign with Mark to deceive.

I’ll answer the question:
85hz is superior to my FW-900. 60hz is inferior. I use 60hz more than 85hz though because the games I happen to be playing are console ports at the moment.

Not sure why 60hz is inferior. It appears that the brightness is the same for 60hz and 85 hz for the same pulse width setting so I’m wondering if the firmware does some kind of modulation to compensate to keep the brightness consistent across frame rates.

That being said, 60hz at my calibrated mode is superior to the best OLED TV’s, and all my games that I play have that “fluidity” feeling that only CRT’s had. You know the feeling I’m talking about.

Edit - 60hz is still my favorite mode though by virtue of its existence and being cross-talk free. There are only a handful of monitors that offer single strobing at this refresh in the first place. So it’s been a real godsend to be able to play my old favorites and experience the clarity again.

Last edited:
The only game I've played where the CRT phosphor trails were distracting was Alien Isolation. Lots of solitary LED lights in dark rooms
I've never really found it distracting in any games; just the sight of absolute zero phosphor blur with this monitor was a marvel to witness. I'm in awe of the engineering of these " old" monitors. :)

I've never really found it distracting in any games; just the sight of absolute zero phosphor blur with this monitor was a marvel to witness. I'm in awe of the engineering of these " old" monitors. :)
I’m actually surprised. Most monochromes that I was familiar with actually have lots of ghosting.

I’m actually surprised. Most monochromes that I was familiar with actually have lots of ghosting.
My experience has been similar to yours. My earliest memories of 70s and 80s monitor tech has always been predominantly using monochrome crt tech and blurry mouse pointers. :)

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, crt projectors built for 3D had super fast phosphor decays. The idea was that they had to flicker twice the frames and avoid crosstalk. I think that the green tube was the super fast one while red and blue remain unchanged. Sony’s G70 had a VR version if I recall correctly. It had the super fast green tube and a different set of (sharper) lenses.

Back