The 3D Printed Jet Engine

I wonder how durable that is, if it's anywhere near the durability of a production engine then I can see that moving into the market for small scale applications such as RC and even light sports aircraft. Whether or not it can be scaled up to produce a full size jetliner engine will all depend on cost.

Remember folks, this is a turbin engine, not a turbine engine.

That thing is headed to the scrap pile. 33k RPM on something that big??? No-go.

Also, what was with that first test? A balance issue?

Notice the resonance on the second test?

An engine of that size should be around 110K-150K RPM, and you'll definitely hear the exhaust noise instead of a resonance.

I wonder how durable that is, if it's anywhere near the durability of a production engine then I can see that moving into the market for small scale applications such as RC and even light sports aircraft. Whether or not it can be scaled up to produce a full size jetliner engine will all depend on cost.

That thing won't even fly. I also think the testing showed serious issues.

That thing is headed to the scrap pile. 33k RPM on something that big??? No-go.

Also, what was with that first test? A balance issue?

Notice the resonance on the second test?

An engine of that size should be around 110K-150K RPM, and you'll definitely hear the exhaust noise instead of a resonance.

Hmmm.. I can't edit my post...

I wanted to add that this might be an interesting technology for some parts, but not for a whole engine.

I wonder how long it will be before we are printing these things for commercial use?

Hmmm, Never.
Centrifugal compress jets are only suited for APUs. Not the thrust making jet propels the aircraft.
The earliest generation of jet engines was similar to this but they were found to be extremely inefficient.
Really most all axle flow jet engines are descendants from the German BMW and Junkers engines that powered the ME262.

Back