l88bastard
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Oct 25, 2009
- Messages
- 3,929
I am running:
-3770k ocd to 4.5ghz
-sniper 3 z77 mobo
-antec high current pro 1200 psu
-(3) Samsung S27A750D 120hz monitors in eyefinity
-Win7-64
-(3) 7970s; 1 Msi lightning, 1 Asus CU2-T, 1 Msi ref card
-12.7beta drivers + 12.7cap 1s
-ULPS is disabled, Core Parking is disabled, hyperthreading is enabled.
When I play BF3 on smaller maps that don't feature vehicles I average mid 80%-high 90% GPU usage with my three 7970s. My FPS rarely dips below 100fps and averages 130+fps
On large maps such as caspian border, Firestorm, Karg, etc, with 64 people, my GPU usage across all three cards hovers from the mid 60s to low 80s. My FPS dips down to 80 FPS and averages 100-110fps
So my question is, are the larger maps with more people, vehicles & action bottlenecking my CPU? Would I be better off with a 3930k or does the 3930k also suffer the same lower multi-gpu usage on the bigger maps?
EDIT 1
Ah, I have discovered the culprit. It is the MESH setting in BF3. If I turn mesh to low my GPU usage jumps to the mid-high 90s! OOOOH wait even better....on further REVIEW I have discovered that the biggest culprit is AMD Tessellation & performance settings in CCC. After disabling tesselation and turning texture filtering quality to performance, I am now able to run Mesh on medium and have high 90% GPU usage on even the largest BF3 maps! Everything is buttery smooth on my trifire 7970 3770k rig now...eyefinity is spectacular at 120+fps!
EDIT 2:
I just got my fourth 7970 in today and Quadfire really puts a hurtin on the 3770k it would seem. GPU usage across the board rarely passes 70%. I did my mesh lowering trick in BF3 and was able to eek out low 70% usage across the board which resulted in 120fps average and super smooth gameplay on my eyefinity setup....however, I would like more GPU usage lol. I wonder if the processor is the bottleneck or if the 8x PCIE slots are the bottleneck. I wonder if two 7990s would fare better in the 16x pcie slots for GPU usage.
-3770k ocd to 4.5ghz
-sniper 3 z77 mobo
-antec high current pro 1200 psu
-(3) Samsung S27A750D 120hz monitors in eyefinity
-Win7-64
-(3) 7970s; 1 Msi lightning, 1 Asus CU2-T, 1 Msi ref card
-12.7beta drivers + 12.7cap 1s
-ULPS is disabled, Core Parking is disabled, hyperthreading is enabled.
When I play BF3 on smaller maps that don't feature vehicles I average mid 80%-high 90% GPU usage with my three 7970s. My FPS rarely dips below 100fps and averages 130+fps
On large maps such as caspian border, Firestorm, Karg, etc, with 64 people, my GPU usage across all three cards hovers from the mid 60s to low 80s. My FPS dips down to 80 FPS and averages 100-110fps
So my question is, are the larger maps with more people, vehicles & action bottlenecking my CPU? Would I be better off with a 3930k or does the 3930k also suffer the same lower multi-gpu usage on the bigger maps?
EDIT 1
Ah, I have discovered the culprit. It is the MESH setting in BF3. If I turn mesh to low my GPU usage jumps to the mid-high 90s! OOOOH wait even better....on further REVIEW I have discovered that the biggest culprit is AMD Tessellation & performance settings in CCC. After disabling tesselation and turning texture filtering quality to performance, I am now able to run Mesh on medium and have high 90% GPU usage on even the largest BF3 maps! Everything is buttery smooth on my trifire 7970 3770k rig now...eyefinity is spectacular at 120+fps!
EDIT 2:
I just got my fourth 7970 in today and Quadfire really puts a hurtin on the 3770k it would seem. GPU usage across the board rarely passes 70%. I did my mesh lowering trick in BF3 and was able to eek out low 70% usage across the board which resulted in 120fps average and super smooth gameplay on my eyefinity setup....however, I would like more GPU usage lol. I wonder if the processor is the bottleneck or if the 8x PCIE slots are the bottleneck. I wonder if two 7990s would fare better in the 16x pcie slots for GPU usage.
Last edited: