The 30 Best Video Games of All Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
I scrolled through this slideshow of the 30 Best Video Games of All Time and, while most are decent selections, there are a few I question. Then again. any time you make a list that includes the words "of all time" you know someone is going to take issue with your selections.

"Best of all time lists" are always divisive because people have different exposure to the items ranked and personal preferences. I wouldn't even bother making a list because it's irrelevant even to me. Give me a meta sourced list of games worth playing by year and platform and I'd find that far more useful.

When I see these lists, I just scroll through to make sure that Tie Fighter is there and quite high. #7 seems a but low to me. It will always be my #1.

GD stupid slideshow.

Anyhow the list

30. Goldeneye 007 -Ok
29. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 - Eh...not completely convinced but looks like they are going for games that did something different so ok.
28. The Chronicles of - Just no..At no point do shitty games quick pushed after movies Ever belong in a "top" list.
27. Uncharted 2 - Ok decent selection in a top 30
26. Zork - Even for an "of it's time" kind of thing, I'm not really on board with this. I don't classify what are essentially digital books as games that really did much.
25. Simcity 2000 - Still quite possibly one of the best Sim Cities.
24. C&C Red Alert 2 - ok not bad.
23. Full throttle - What? Easily the first time I've ever seen this game make a top list anywhere. Is this a top list? or Obscure shit no one likes list?
22. Super Mario RPG - No...just..No
21. Prison Architect - ....again..what the fuck? No
20. FTL - Was it interesting? Sure..a Top game? eh....Given the sheer lack of good games on this list thus far I would argue my earlier point.
19. Alpha Protocol - ....No
18. Far Cry 2 - Fair enough
17. World in Conflict - Ok I'm 100% convinced this is actually "Obscure shit not mentioned on anyone else's list for good reason with a few token good games mentioned to not look like complete bullshit."
16. Max Payne 2 - First one was better...so...no
15. Deus Ex: Invisible - ....just no
14. Counter Strike - Enter one of the token games to not look like a complete bullshit list.
13. Splinter Cell: Double Agent - UGH
12. The Dig - No...just Fucking NO.
11. Portal 2 - Again good, but the first was better why is this on the list? Is this author a gamer on any level?
10. Red Ded - Ok
9. Burnout Paradise - Ok look, I love this game..A LOT. And I would argue it belongs in the top 30 for what it did. However if this list wasn't complete shit it certainly wouldn't be in the top 10.
8. ME 3 - OK but same comments as earlier on sequels.
7. Star Wars Tie Fighter - Similar comments to Burnout
6. Half Life 2 - Ok
5. GTA: San Andreas - Top 30? Sure..top 5? No. GTA's popularity is largely derived from controversy, not nearly as much being an actual good game.
4. SW:KoToR - Ok, but same comments to Burnout and Tie Fighter.
3. Witcher 3 - The first two were better, not that this one was bad.
2. CoD - Popularity doesn't make a game a notable game. This doesn't belong in the top 50 much less top 2.
1. God I'm dreading the next slide.. and yep..there it is..some obscure shitty game that would of been bad in 1995, much less 2014 for that shit..Seriously who wrote this fucking garbage list? Gods will be watching?.....No...just...No.

TLDR: Quite possibly in the running for the shittiest gaming top list of all time. I feel bad about the time I just lost reading and typing all that. Consider this a favor if you read this first.

Last edited:
GD stupid slideshow.

Anyhow the list

30. Goldeneye 007 -Ok
29. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 - Eh...not completely convinced but looks like they are going for games that did something different so ok.
28. The Chronicles of - Just no..At no point do shitty games quick pushed after movies Ever belong in a "top" list.
27. Uncharted 2 - Ok decent selection in a top 30
26. Zork - Even for an "of it's time" kind of thing, I'm not really on board with this. I don't classify what are essentially digital books as games that really did much.
25. Simcity 2000 - Still quite possibly one of the best Sim Cities.
24. C&C Red Alert 2 - ok not bad.
23. Full throttle - What? Easily the first time I've ever seen this game make a top list anywhere. Is this a top list? or Obscure shit no one likes list?
22. Super Mario RPG - No...just..No
21. Prison Architect - ....again..what the fuck? No
20. FTL - Was it interesting? Sure..a Top game? eh....Given the sheer lack of good games on this list thus far I would argue my earlier point.
19. Alpha Protocol - ....No
18. Far Cry 2 - Fair enough
17. World in Conflict - Ok I'm 100% convinced this is actually "Obscure shit not mentioned on anyone else's list for good reason with a few token good games mentioned to not look like complete bullshit."
16. Max Payne 2 - First one was better...so...no
15. Deus Ex: Invisible - ....just no
14. Counter Strike - Enter one of the token games to not look like a complete bullshit list.
13. Splinter Cell: Double Agent - UGH
12. The Dig - No...just Fucking NO.
11. Portal 2 - Again good, but the first was better why is this on the list? Is this author a gamer on any level?
10. Red Ded - Ok
9. Burnout Paradise - Ok look, I love this game..A LOT. And I would argue it belongs in the top 30 for what it did. However if this list wasn't complete shit it certainly wouldn't be in the top 10.
8. ME 3 - OK but same comments as earlier on sequels.
7. Star Wars Tie Fighter - Similar comments to Burnout
6. Half Life 2 - Ok
5. GTA: San Andreas - Top 30? Sure..top 5? No. GTA's popularity is largely derived from controversy, not nearly as much being an actual good game.
4. SW:KoToR - Ok, but same comments to Burnout and Tie Fighter.
3. Witcher 3 - The first two were better, not that this one was bad.
2. CoD - Popularity doesn't make a game a notable game. This doesn't belong in the top 50 much less top 2.
1. God I'm dreading the next slide.. and yep..there it is..some obscure shitty game that would of been bad in 1995, much less 2014 for that shit..Seriously who wrote this fucking garbage list? Gods will be watching?.....No...just...No.

TLDR: Quite possibly in the running for the shittiest gaming top list of all time. I feel bad about the time I just lost reading and typing all that. Consider this a favor if you read this first.

"...even so, you will definitely not agree with us."

These things are page by page click-through ad revenue generators. Thanks for saving me the time clicking through and generating revenue for them.

yeah.... no

Definitely some good games on that list, but not the top 30 of all times. Think somebody was running late on making an article and decided fuck it.

What the crap is that first image, allegedly for Goldeneye 007?

AAilqHQ.jpg

We've got wall textures and an ammo clip from Doom, enemies from Wolfenstein 3D. I don't know what this is but it's definitely not Goldeneye 007.

My grandma who's never touched a computer in her life could probably come up with equally as convincing list as this one.

First off, I agree this is a shit list, but you might need some perspective. Not only was Full Throttle well received, it was the first game by Lucasarts to sell over a million copies, in other words, it outsold Monkey Island. For 1995, that's not bad. Hardly "obscure shit no one likes." It's a pretty good game, will frequently make it towards the top of top adventure game lists. I don't think I would necessarily put it in a top 30, but get a clue if you think that game is obscure.

EDIT:
PC Gamer has it at #11 on top adventure games, though I know I've seen it elsewhere:

The best adventure games on PC | PC Gamer

First off, I agree this is a shit list, but you might need some perspective. Not only was Full Throttle well received, it was the first game by Lucasarts to sell over a million copies, in other words, it outsold Monkey Island. For 1995, that's not bad. Hardly "obscure shit no one likes." It's a pretty good game, will frequently make it towards the top of top adventure game lists. I don't think I would necessarily put it in a top 30, but get a clue if you think that game is obscure.

EDIT:
PC Gamer has it at #11 on top adventure games, though I know I've seen it elsewhere:

The best adventure games on PC | PC Gamer

Previous to this I've never once seen it on a top list anywhere. It isn't that I'm unfamiliar with the game, I played it. I don't think I've ever considered it memorable on any level and this is the first time I've seen anyone even mention it in decades. By that standard, it is pretty damn obscure.

Previous to this I've never once seen it on a top list anywhere. It isn't that I'm unfamiliar with the game, I played it. I don't think I've ever considered it memorable on any level and this is the first time I've seen anyone even mention it in decades. By that standard, it is pretty damn obscure.
Here you go, it's #12 from rockpapershotgun:

The 25 Best Adventure Games Ever Made

Also it's so damn obscure and not liked, Double Fine is giving it a remake, as mentioned on such obscure sites as polygon, playstation.com, engadget, ign, vg247, eurogamer, gamespot, etc.

Full Throttle Remastered announced, coming to PS4 and Vita (update)
Announcing Full Throttle Remastered on PS4, PS Vita
Double Fine's next games include a 'Full Throttle' remaster
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/05/psx-2015-full-throttle-hd-coming-from-double-fine
Full Throttle Remastered coming to PS4, Vita and PC in 2017
Full Throttle Remastered on the way, debut Day of the Tentacle Remastered video released
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/full-throttle-remaster-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita/1100-6432855/

I've heard it mentioned maybe a dozen times since it was made, but hey, it sold a million copies, was a best seller from a classic game company, but you haven't heard it mentioned since, so it's obscure. Okay.

This list was compiled by a true millennial born around 1995.

Seems like his older sibling(s) never introduced him to anything released earlier than that for the exception of the 3 or so games that predate anything before 1999.

Are you FUCKING kidding me??? So because the game is based off a movie franchise you somehow, in your infinite wisdom, just knock it down because of that one thing?

Let's forget that it's an amazing game and the best movie game ever made. Let's forget the great characters and story and level design and game mechanics...nope! Dekoth thinks it sucks because it has a character in it from a movie!!!

Next time you should just make a list instead of injecting your biased uneducated views about games you clearly know nothing about.

Thanks for warning me and not wasting my time though (other than to respond to your ridiculous remarks of course)!

Are you FUCKING kidding me??? So because the game is based off a movie franchise you somehow, in your infinite wisdom, just knock it down because of that one thing?

Let's forget that it's an amazing game and the best movie game ever made. Let's forget the great characters and story and level design and game mechanics...nope! Dekoth thinks it sucks because it has a character in it from a movie!!!

Next time you should just make a list instead of injecting your biased uneducated views about games you clearly know nothing about.

Thanks for warning me and not wasting my time though (other than to respond to your ridiculous remarks of course)!

Eh, chill dude. I don't agree with his assessment of the game either but I do agree it shouldn't belong on any 'top' list. If the absolute best thing it has going for it is 'the best movie adapted game ever' then it's not much. Other than that, it's pretty standard fare: its got great graphics, good gameplay, an alright story, and zero replayability.

Is it a groundbreaking game that should be honored on a pedestal? No but it is a good game that everyone should play at some point so maybe Dekoth is a tad off-base on his quick to judge opinion of it.

Eh, chill dude. I don't agree with his assessment of the game either but I do agree it shouldn't belong on any 'top' list. If the absolute best thing it has going for it is 'the best movie adapted game ever' then it's not much. Other than that, it's pretty standard fare: its got great graphics, good gameplay, an alright story, and zero replayability.

Is it a groundbreaking game that should be honored on a pedestal? No but it is a good game that everyone should play at some point so maybe Dekoth is a tad off-base on his quick to judge opinion of it.

I don't really agree with any of that. It's absolute best thing is far from just being a movie game and it has a ton of replayability, especially considering you can play stealthy or balls to the wall murderer. In fact replayability is one of its stronger suits. Have you played it?

For its time it was definitely something different and I hardly consider 28 out of 30 to be a "pedestal".

Regardless, my point wasn't whether it belonged on the list or not. My point was that people who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't open their mouths on said unknowns based on dismissive points that make no sense.

I don't really agree with any of that. It's absolute best thing is far from just being a movie game and it has a ton of replayability, especially considering you can play stealthy or balls to the wall murderer. In fact replayability is one of its stronger suits. Have you played it?

For its time it was definitely something different and I hardly consider 28 out of 30 to be a "pedestal".

Regardless, my point wasn't whether it belonged on the list or not. My point was that people who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't open their mouths on said unknowns based on dismissive points that make no sense.

I played the game twice. Once on the Xbox when it first came out and a second time on PC when I built a decent enough rig to run it and other games. Basically I liked it enough to pay for it twice.

It's a good game. I'm not devaluing that aspect of it. But if you take the movie-adapted part out of the equation (ex: imagine a universe that Riddick was never a movie character played by Vin Diesel) then it would simply just be another drop in the bucket of water that is every other game ever made. It simply doesn't have much of a standout quality to it if you take Riddick\Vin Diesel out of the picture.

Having just said that, I can tell you that the big standout for me was how brutal the fist fighting was. I hadn't ever seen anything like it before (and still haven't really) but again....that one small gameplay mechanic does not a fantastic game make, especially when hand-to-hand is only forced on you twice throughout the game but mainly sticks a gun in your hand instead.

I played the game twice. Once on the Xbox when it first came out and a second time on PC when I built a decent enough rig to run it and other games. Basically I liked it enough to pay for it twice.

It's a good game. I'm not devaluing that aspect of it. But if you take the movie-adapted part out of the equation (ex: imagine a universe that Riddick was never a movie character played by Vin Diesel) then it would simply just be another drop in the bucket of water that is every other game ever made. It simply doesn't have much of a standout quality to it if you take Riddick\Vin Diesel out of the picture.
I think the point of contention comes from Dekoth's account of things. You think it's a good game, "its got great graphics, good gameplay, an alright story, and zero replayability." Mut1ny thinks it's a great game. Dekoth thinks it's a "shitty game pushed quick." I mean hell, I've never played it, but every account I've heard of it has said it's good.

Alternately, while I don't think Full Throttle necessarily belongs on a top 30 list, I think it's a hard case to make as "obscure shit no one likes."

It doesn't help that this list really has problems. Any list putting Invisible War in top anything has problems.

EDIT:
Also I can't resist:

zero replayability.
I played the game twice.

Last edited:
Missing a couple Zelda games (LTTP, OOT), FFVII, Super Mario World, DooM/Wolf/Duke, Far Cry, etc...

This list is fuckin' shit

No Quake 3 Arena (Headshot!!), Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Unreal Tournament?
Soldier of Fortune 2 may not have had the best game play, but the per pixel bullet placement was very gratifying. lol

No Quake 3 Arena (Headshot!!), Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Unreal Tournament?
Soldier of Fortune 2 may not have had the best game play, but the per pixel bullet placement was very gratifying. lol

Loved RTCW! Most especially ET.
Damn, that game is why I build my first computer!

Where is the original Doom, Wolfenstein 3d, Max Payne, Skyrim, Mass Effect or Oblivion ??

So the person that wrote it has a cute quote on his twitter page:
"Anyway, whatever. Fuckin video games, I hate em. Y'all are nerds. Fuck you"

I'm gonna assume it's a joke list

Another list made by someone born too late to experience actual arcade games in the late 1970s and early 1980s that has no clue how far we've come the past few years.

Don't worry, son, us older folk know much better than you and will forgive your stupidity this one time so learn from your mistakes and don't let it fucking happen again lest you find youself at the bottom of a cavern with no way out. :)

Can it play Crysis? Can it play Metro 2033?

As many times as those questions get asked and not on list? Well fuck me running.

Can it play Crysis? Can it play Metro 2033?

As many times as those questions get asked and not on list? Well fuck me running.

that doesnt mean those games were the 30 top of all time, it just means they were hard to run.

I did enjoy both though.

that doesnt mean those games were the 30 top of all time, it just means they were hard to run.

I did enjoy both though.
It means it to me since I actually went to the trouble of buying them.

Far Cry 2:

Guns break down when you're fighting, if you survive that and run to your vehicles, it break down when you're escaping. If you make it back alive you get malaria, to get the cure you need to bring the son of a bitch doctor diamonds. Fuck that game.

Reactions: M76
like this
So funny. I can't believe this was linked here.
I have been conned into a slide list or two in the past. Often it is obvious they are random, and put together by someone who has no experience with the subject or even the language they are writing.
But someones gettin'paid!!
LOL

Back