The 2004 what notebook to get for x-mas thread.

Nervosa

n00b
Ok,
I'm looking into get in a new notebook, and would like some input as to what would be the best price vs. what i want.

I would like a wide screen 15, or 17 (does'nt matter, 17 would be nice), wifi, no less the 512 ram (1gig would be nice), some what thin and light (i dont want a 2" 10lbs brick) and a decent bat life (i would probably be surfing the net when its not pluged in)

What i would be doing on this, webdeisgn, photoshop, gaming.

I would like to keep it under 2000 (befor taxes) if it really is want i want, i would spend alittle bit more then 2k.

...so let me see what you have to say, thank you

barebones an option? any more specifics on preferences of processor type or video ram?

processor type dont real matter to me i dont favor any company, video ram 64+.

Im mostly looking for models ex: dell, hp, toshiba, emachies etc.
what ones are good, what to say away from. (i dont have time to look at all the notebooks at cc or bb, then read reviews of them to see what people say)

I would like to see what kinda 17" wide screen model falls in my price range.
Followed by the 15.4" Widescreen. In that range my best bet looks to be the eMachines M6810 (and eveyone here seems to like it)

(what i would like 17", 1gig ram, radeon 9600 (equivalent to, or better)

seems that you're wanting a Dell Inspiron 9200 then. 17", Pentium M, and 9700 IIRC.

Sony makes one as well that fits the description.

dell 8600 or 9200 or m60

acer makes a bunch
(check out newegg)

toshiba has the new Quismo....(name starts with a q)

emachines 6810 or 6811

HP has a couple with the P-M and 9700 with 15.4's

Might also look into the NP3790 for a good mobile laptop. If you want something with a little more power that is not that heavy the NP4750 has a AMD64 option. It is also what i have so i'm a little biased.

FYI, you're going to be buying a 2" thick, 10# brick with crappy battery life. Performance is directly related to weight, heat, and CPU power consumption.

i have a acer aspire 2001lci
4 hours battery life
mobility radeon 9200 64 mb
Centrino 1.4
512mb ram
15.4 widescreen
bios arcade/dvd player

Its been pretty good to me. Plays doom 3 pretty well.(low settings...but with shadowing and other stuff on.
got it for 1200 on pcconnection

I just about got my parents talked into buying me a laptop, and it looks like 12-1300 is the budget. I have never looked into laptops before, so was hoping for some advice. Size isnt MUCH of a concern but smaller would be nice. Want nice performance first and foremost though. I would like to be able to do some gaming on it, lots of school work (os doesnt matter as I have copies of windows and linux), and wireless networking would be nice. Dont require dvd burner, but cd burner/dvd player would be nice. Can you guys point me in the right direction, or at least tell me what to watch out for? I've looked at dell, gateway, toshiba, alienware (too much $), sager, acer, and so far its a toss up between toshiba and acer, but am open to looking at other brands I dont know of. Thanks in advance,

Silvano

The HP zd7000 I currently have is awesome! It is for sale, in case you're interested. If you are interested, send me a PM or an email to [email protected]. The specs are in my sig, but you can always email me if you want any info.

Nervosa said:
Ok,
I'm looking into get in a new notebook, and would like some input as to what would be the best price vs. what i want.

I would like a wide screen 15, or 17 (does'nt matter, 17 would be nice), wifi, no less the 512 ram (1gig would be nice), some what thin and light (i dont want a 2" 10lbs brick) and a decent bat life (i would probably be surfing the net when its not pluged in)

What i would be doing on this, webdeisgn, photoshop, gaming.

I would like to keep it under 2000 (befor taxes) if it really is want i want, i would spend alittle bit more then 2k.

...so let me see what you have to say, thank you

17" laptop + thin/light + good battery life = impossible. The smallest laptop you can get with a 17" screen is going to be over 1.5in thick and about 8lbs. That is assuming your using the standard run of the mill battery. However since the 17" sucks a lot of battery juice your looking at about 2.5hrs of battery tops. Sure it sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't because if you actually try to use the laptop to do anything like wireless or up the screen brightness, you take time away from battery life. Stick with a 15.4in widescreen, and stay away from 17in notebooks. They are not made for portability.

I'd say the 17" powerbook is powerful, thin, light, and has excellent battery life, but i guess if your just talking pc notebooks you're right.

The Sager NP8790 fits most of the bill excepting battery life and price.

I have the HP ZD7000
setup like this
3.4 / 1 gig ram
60 gig 7200 HD
Wifi

Battery...watt battery?
Alittle over an hour at best
but boyoboy
What a picture and rig truly amazing!
Oh did I say heavy
But for $2150.oo w/3 year over night warranty not to bad

I know with 17" the bat life is gona suck.
But really, the only thing I would be doin no pluged-in would be surffing the net and aim.
I doubt i would be away from an outlit for more then an 2hrs.
I just dont want to turn it on visit a few sites and then have the bat die in about 1hr.

Right now i have a emachies M5309 and its great, i just need something better to handel gaming, with out low settings.

Im really thinking about the 6810 but i dont know if its just because i alreday have an eMachie, and its been quite good to me.

I will either be the 6810 (unless theres a better 15.4 for the price/quility) or some HP 17", i think im liking the bigger screen more (hp cuz they have the num pad, dell, toshiba dont)

..and HP because i can run down to bestbuy and pick it up, and i have bestbuy reward points for about 300$

Sager notebooks look nice but with 300 off at bb, bb looks to be the better deal.

All thies intel cpu ### are really messing with me, im just guess higher the number the better?

What ever you get, do get the fastest HD and at least a gig of ram. With all the cpu power you don't want some stinkin perrifaril to hang you. Also HP has some schweet deals with student discounts.
The screen is amazing, Makes me wanna chuck my monitor outta window :eek:

I'll pimp the Compal CL56....thin and light with good gaming perf and battery life

Nervosa said:
All thies intel cpu ### are really messing with me, im just guess higher the number the better?
In general, yes.
Here's how the different processors stack up

Pentium-M>AMD 64>Pentium 4-M>Pentium 4>Celeron

Back