That game that's so popular with everyone, but you just can't...

Skyrim. Played it for 40 hours which is a good College try, but still got super bored. Sandbox is fine, but there is too many game breaking "mechanics" or rather lack of programming that make it feel incomplete for a game that is supposed to allow you to do anything.

The entire GTA series. I don't see how running around doing dumb mini quests for hours on end is remotely fun. Oh yay, you can steal stuff which most of the time just leads to cops after you and death in 10 minutes. I've never seen anyone play these games normally or enjoy them for more than 15 minutes at a time. Granted, I don't really know any fans either.

Gran Tourismo and most "hyper-realistic" driving sims. They don't really get close enough. It's not like really driving those cars or those tracks and of course it's not arcadey enough to have silly physics so they are in that uncomfortable not remotely fun for me category. Frankly, I'd rather play Mario Kart.

Final Fantasy VII. I don't think I actually hate this game as much as some stuff, I've beaten it more than once, but it is by far the most overrated RPG of all time.

Team Fortress. I did play the original for a period of time and certain mechanics are interesting/cool but I don't understand the rabid following and the forever playing.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I love me some story but I don't recommend anyone go back and play MGS 1 no matter how good it was because the game honestly controls like ass and it will probably leave a bad taste for them. I still love it but telling a 14 year old who just picked up MGSV to go back and play a game that was made before he was even born doesn't always work. Now if they play MGSV and love it then I will recommend they try out MGS3 since it's Big Boss' story but then maybe throw in a "Hey you should check out MGS1 if you want to learn more about the Boss and his clones.".

I disagree highly. I've played MGS 1 relatively recently. It's not clunky at all. MGS plays literally the same way as MGS 2 and on do. The only difference is that Snake is capable of doing MORE things in later games. But the core movement and motion is the same. I basically marathoned MGS 1/2 at the same time.

My suggestion really is just to pickup the set for PS3, which has remade graphics. Personally, people who don't play games because "the graphics suck" annoy the crap out of me, so if you need that spoon feeding the remake(s) bring everything up to a minimum of PS2 level. Either that or get Twin Snakes for the GC (the issue there being the redone dialog which actually changes parts of the story for the worse, but it's still an option for people crying about it).

Last edited:
My most notorious one is probably Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed games.

Don't know why, probably has something to do with the camera and controls

I remembered more:

Biochock: Infinite

The 10/10 reviews were flying out for this game, but why? It was a generic shooter, with
mediocre graphics, and a story that was sacrificed for the sake of one single big reveal at
the end. I even wrote a review on why was it bad.

Remember Me

It was a generally well received game as I remember, but I think it was terrible
Awkward looking character model, dragged out repetitive fighting with even the lowliest
enemies, control difficulties with mouse/kb. (Clearly only optimized for gamepad control)
But after seeing that the game files are actually called "Examplegame" in the UE data
folder, it all made sense. It was made by amateurs.

Last edited:
Gran Tourismo and most "hyper-realistic" driving sims. They don't really get close enough. It's not like really driving those cars or those tracks and of course it's not arcadey enough to have silly physics so they are in that uncomfortable not remotely fun for me category. Frankly, I'd rather play Mario Kart.

The problem with that is that they do get close enough. There are people that use them to practice for races. Outside of that, I have no grievance with how you feel about racing games.

Gran Turismo was never a "hyper realistic" driving simulator. "Real driving simulator" was just a marketing tagline. It's a good balance between arcade and simulation.

If you want a realistic simulator try assetto corsa, or maybe LFS, but that's quite old by now.

That said I can't stand any driving game with bad physics. If a car doesn't act like a car in a game, then count me out. Even if it's not a driving game per se, but involves driving. I expect a car to move like a vehicle with wheels, and not like a brick, or a boat.

The problem with that is that they do get close enough. There are people that use them to practice for races. Outside of that, I have no grievance with how you feel about racing games.

Not that Top Gear is the end all be all, but they actually played Gran Tourismo on PS3 then went on to the actual course in the same car (an NSX) and had a real hard time of it. I'm going by their statement that it's not even close. If you have another argument for it, great, but I'm just going on their knowledge. It might be useful to learn which corners come and in which order, but in terms of what it's like to drive on these courses, I would say that GT is a very inaccurate facsimile.

Gran Turismo was never a "hyper realistic" driving simulator. "Real driving simulator" was just a marketing tagline. It's a good balance between arcade and simulation.

If you want a realistic simulator try assetto corsa, or maybe LFS, but that's quite old by now.

That said I can't stand any driving game with bad physics. If a car doesn't act like a car in a game, then count me out. Even if it's not a driving game per se, but involves driving. I expect a car to move like a vehicle with wheels, and not like a brick, or a boat.

I just lump them all together. GT is just the most recognizable name.

Oblivion: I played FO3, Skyrim, and FONV in that order, loved the first two and liked FONV. So I got Oblivion for 360, and just found the super generic fantasy environment and terrible graphics to be annoying. I got through the first gate into oblivion and kept getting my ass kicked by little ass demons, and got frustrated and gave up. I tried about a year later when I got a PC. Bought it on a steam sale, installed some mods to make it look better, but something was still off, and it kept crashing on me, so I gave up again.

SC2. I never got into SC1, but loved RTS games growing up. For multiplayer to even be remotely enjoyable I'd have to make this game a hobby unto itself. I got ladder anxiety from playing. I hated how economics seemed so important in a fast paced game, and actual tactics only really mattered when you were about evenly matched economically or when your opponent was being an idiot or cheesing. So I bought HotS when it came out, enjoyed the campaign, and hoped that multiplayer would improve in ways that made it more enjoyable. It did a bit, but not nearly enough. I have to say that I do like some of the changes I saw when I played the LotV beta, but not enough to buy the game when it comes out.

Super Smash Brothers, NHL hockey, and CoD MW2 are also honorable mentions.

Last edited:
TF2 - Maybe I should give it another go, but had no patience for it
Last 5 years of COD

TF2 - Maybe I should give it another go, but had no patience for it
Last 5 years of COD

Ah I forgot about TF2. Coming from someone that played QWTF for fun, and then Quake 3 Fortress with a clan at a high level for a while, TF2 sucks. It's way too slow. No bunny hopping, conc jumping etc. The whole feel of the game is just way of and it's dumbed way down. It's much more slower paced and a MUCH different game.

Fall out Shelter.

This game is extremely boring.

I liked it. I was doing great until I took a day off and came back and everyone was dead and I didn't have enough to revive them... So, I stopped. I play games at my pace and if I need to take a day or two away, I don't want to lose everything.

It can be. I get mixed results. My kids, and some of my friends will play old C64 games with me. However, they mostly refuse to play games somewhere in between. I have a hard time getting people to play System Shock and sometimes even System Shock 2, even though they are shining examples of some of the best games of all time (if you ask me anyway). My brother will play Super Mario World with me, but refuses to play Super Mario 64. So, the nostalgia thing is spotty, and somewhat determined by the era of game you're trying to go back to, and the era the person you're trying to convince grew up in. Or something like that anyway.

To be fair, I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 replaced Mario 64.

However, I will argue that I don't think MGS 1 aged as badly as some here think. Personally, it's less clunky than MGS2 and 3. 3 is really, really clunky. The camo system in that game is dreadful and really bogs the experience down.

DOTA 2
League of Legends
Halo

Games that I can't get into anymore, but was once into:

World of Warcraft
Call of Duty
Counter-Strike

To be fair, I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 replaced Mario 64.

However, I will argue that I don't think MGS 1 aged as badly as some here think. Personally, it's less clunky than MGS2 and 3. 3 is really, really clunky. The camo system in that game is dreadful and really bogs the experience down.

I've never really played much of mario 64, or either galaxy.They replaced the miserably awkward controls of the N64 with the miserably awkward controls of the Wii. Thank god the Wii U finally has normal a normal controller..

I've never really played much of mario 64, or either galaxy.They replaced the miserably awkward controls of the N64 with the miserably awkward controls of the Wii. Thank god the Wii U finally has normal a normal controller..

We all have our opinions. I think the N64 controller was by far the best controller of its time. I also think the N64 had the best platformers/adventure games of any console ever.

I'm basically willing to hop back on it anytime. But this is after all the: "but you just can't" thread...

N64 controller was perfect for it's time and place. The ultimate compliment to Mario 64.

I only recently started playing Mario Galaxy (skipped 1 went right to 2) and as for the controls; keyboard and mouse work just fine. :D

N64 controller was perfect for it's time and place. The ultimate compliment to Mario 64.

I only recently started playing Mario Galaxy (skipped 1 went right to 2) and as for the controls; keyboard and mouse work just fine. :D

Indeed! I've actually enjoyed all of the above, with N64 controller, Wii-Mote, M+KB, and remapped to X360 pad. All work just fine for me. Give me the game and a controller and I will generally adapt just fine. Granted there are cases where the control scheme is just SO bad that this is impossible. (looking at you original Alone in the Dark game... :D )

You couldn't learn tank controls on a keyboard?

Who said anything about learning them? They're just clumsy, clunky, and well, I hate them, simple as that. Never liked other games that used them either even if the underlying game was spectacular aside from the controls. I like to think I'm pretty malleable when it comes to control schemes, but that's one that I'm just not into.

Edit: Actually, there is one type of game where those controls will actually work ok for me. An actual tank game. :D I haven't played any modern ones. Still enjoy the original Battlezone though. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I have with tank controls on the keyboard is digital input. I don't like not being able to control my rate of turn, so I prefer a joystick for tank movement. In RE4 HD I used my Xbox 360 controller for movement and mouse for aiming, with keyboard actions mapped to the other 8 buttons on my mouse ;).

Who said anything about learning them?
Just curious, as they are much more comfortable/intuitive on a keyboard than a controller/joystick. I agree about them not being great though... I remember my 10-year old self screaming at the monitor for that old man to "turn around faster, you fool!!!!" :D

Just curious, as they are much more comfortable/intuitive on a keyboard than a controller/joystick. I agree about them not being great though... I remember my 10-year old self screaming at the monitor for that old man to "turn around faster, you fool!!!!" :D

:D Yeah, I agree, that they "almost" make sense on a keyboard. If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong, the game Nocturne was kind of a combination of this and mouse aiming. (I remember ALMOST getting along with its controls, but ultimately stopped playing because they still weren't great.)

(Also Ecstatica, Little Big Adventure etc.)

My brother was totally fine with playing games like these though, so I'd just watch him play them.

+1 on Bioshock Infinite. I loved the first two games, but once they changed it up it became a mundane shooter with interesting art direction (and not much else). I got 1/2 through the game and gave up at the point where I was sent into the next never-ending gun battle with the same enemies I'd been clobbering for the first 10 hours or so.

I'm guessing there is a reason you can pick it up from time to time on Xbox Live for $7.

Fighting games such as Virtua Fighter, Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and so on. It got to the point where you need to have a list of special moves just to avoid getting your clock cleaned.

+1 on Bioshock Infinite. I loved the first two games, but once they changed it up it became a mundane shooter with interesting art direction (and not much else). I got 1/2 through the game and gave up at the point where I was sent into the next never-ending gun battle with the same enemies I'd been clobbering for the first 10 hours or so.

I'm guessing there is a reason you can pick it up from time to time on Xbox Live for $7.

I agree with your sentiments on Bioshock Infinite. I stopped at the same point for the very same reason. The original is twice the game Infinite is.

I also mostly agree on BioShock Infinite. The original game (excluding the second iteration) was far more compelling, had a cooler grittier setting, and was closer (though still not close enough IMO to the System Shock games.) I played through maybe 25% or so of Infinite, and totally lost interest. However, I did pick it up again later and nearly finished it. It does get a LOT better toward the end, but still not on the level of the original. I'd say it was worth playing overall, but it did take two tries for me to do it. (I still need to finish up the last area of it though.) :D It's not really a bad game, but when you have a game like Dishonored with a somewhat similar setting that pulls it off so much better, it's a bit more difficult to really like Infinite. (I couldn't stop playing Dishonored once I started, and it was the same with the original BioShock and System Shock 1 and 2 before it.)

Actually, Super Mario Galaxy controls pretty normally. Nothing really awkward about it. The motion stuff in 2 is severely limited.

I will say that I think Super Mario 3D World is probably the best Mario since Super Mario World. Like, I really, really liked it. It brought back the simplicity of the originals, while still maintaining the quirks that made the transition to 3D so fun.

Five Nights at Freddy's series.

Why are these popular?

Kids seem to like them. My daughter is into them. I think the idea of them is kinda funny having grown up in the 80s in the "Chuck E Cheese Era". Haven't tried playing these though. I suspect I wouldn't like them personally.

Actually, Super Mario Galaxy controls pretty normally. Nothing really awkward about it. The motion stuff in 2 is severely limited.

I will say that I think Super Mario 3D World is probably the best Mario since Super Mario World. Like, I really, really liked it. It brought back the simplicity of the originals, while still maintaining the quirks that made the transition to 3D so fun.

Agreed! Super Mario World is still my favorite, (followed by Mario 64,) but then Super Mario 3D World would be a close third. I also love the Galaxy ones, and Sunshine. Sunshine's a bit different, but still a very fun game.

For me it's Dying Light. I love zombie movies, so it seemed a natural. But first I got stuck in all the parkour stuff which I find I'm not very good at (a PS4 controller helped) but the game doesn't grab me so I don't want to invest the time to make myself good...the zombies just look like the same cartoonish two people over and over. I also don't like not being able to save when I want. I hear things get better after dark but really I'm bored of it already so my motive to keep trying is pretty low.

The story also started out kind of silly for me, I mean some guy is parachuting into the city in broad daylight, yet he is supposed to be undercover and blend in?

Any Elder Scrolls game - including Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
Any CoD after 4 or WaW
Minecraft
Any MOBA or MMORPG
Five Nights At Freddy's or similar jump scare garbage
Amnesia
Destiny
Grand Theft Auto
Assassins Creed (with the exception of IV: Black Flag - because the boat fights were awesome)
Any sports game - Madden and FIFA being notable snooze fests

There are more, but my brain cells aren't firing well enough to recall

For me I would say:

- Indie Games
- Sports games
- CoD series
- League of Legends
- Survival/crafting games like Ark, Minecraft, etc...
- Assassins creed after the original

I feel like most of the indie games are just so meh... and they are for some reason so over hyped by critics and internet forums. CoD is just way too mindless and quick death for me to enjoy, I prefer slower time to kill or larger battles that offer more than sub 30 second avg life. I actually really loved Dota 1 ages ago, I used to go to a nearby internet cafe with my middle school buddies and played all day, the new Dota and LoL just really don't appeal to me, especially the terrible communities. Lastly, Minecraft style games, they are just so basic and boring. I get that it's adult lego's and what not, but my time is limited and im not going to spend 3-4 hours building a block house when I could make a whole city in Cities: Skylines or Banished etc...

RTS games that aren't AOE II.

Even AOE sucks online... mostly because I suck online. I can play the baddest-ass bots and be like 'aint no thang' but I hop online and get absolutely flattened.

Dark Souls, Borderlands, Battlefield 3/4/Hardline and pretty much every MMORPG out there such as WoW, LoL, Dota etc.

Back