Thanks guys for the great guides..I joined the team!

TechloGoblin

Limp Gawd
Was pretty easy to setup the SMP client for my i7 920
I am running it through VMPlayer and also using FAHMon...

Appears to be pretty easy and everything LOOKS to be working well

Can't wait to learn more details and such!

Team 33!!!!

Great to have you on board, TechloGoblin! :D Welcome to the [H]orde!

Welcome!

I just got my new i7 going as well, if you have a decent GPU you can also crank a bunch of ppd from it at the same time.

I do have one question. keep in mind I am noob at this.

I am running 5870's in CF (with a bridge)
is it possible to run an instance of folding ontop of the VM one with my CF setup?

I saw something about having to disable CF and take off the bridge...that's not going to be ideal for me...but if things have changed and I am able to do it as is, I'd love to add my GPU power to the team.

Any advice?

I may need corrected, but I think the 5870's can't fold yet, not sure why

maybe its the 5890's.. o well. Anyways, welcome aboard and nice rig u got there

I tried installing the GPU2 client and it says "Your card is not compatible......"

If anyone knows how to get the 5870(s) working let me know and I'll max them out 24x7 when not in use!!!!!!

I do have one question. keep in mind I am noob at this.

I am running 5870's in CF (with a bridge)
is it possible to run an instance of folding ontop of the VM one with my CF setup?

I saw something about having to disable CF and take off the bridge...that's not going to be ideal for me...but if things have changed and I am able to do it as is, I'd love to add my GPU power to the team.

Any advice?

Running a GPU client with a SMP client is something we do all the time here. The problem is ATI can be sticky. The 5 series don't have official support yet (doesn't mean there are not folks folding with them)

It is over a year since I folded ATI so I will let others help with this.

Most of us run NV cards because they fold about twice as fast. There is a new GPU client on the way that we hope will fix this.

You can fold with the 5870, I do with mine. Just create a new shortcut, don't use the one the installer creates. Give the .exe admin rights. The target field for my shortcut looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\[email protected]" -forcegpu ati_r700

next question

I am currently running with 6GB of ram total in my system.
In the notfred setup I first used 1024 for my Memsize

I noticed it wasn't using a lot of my total RAM, so I tried to change ti to ~4960....In my resource manager it's showing just 2.2GB of it being used....

How can I max out my memory usage?

Unless you are running the -bigadv with all 8 cores on your i7 you don't need to increase the ram for your vm above 1gb.

For the standard SMP client 2.2 GB is about right. It doesn't need much more than that.

Are you sure flogge? I run my standard smp vm on 4 cores with just 1gb for the vm. No probs with it.

*NOOB ALERT*

Ive been reading about the -bigadv switch...I am currently using the VM 3.0 with the notfred vmx file...I have seen mixed reports about being able to use the -bigadv switch with it....

Is it possible to just add the switch into the vmx file??? Does notfred not support this yet on the general VM ??

As far as I know notfreds does not support -bigadv
I run -bigadv on Ubuntu 8.04 using VMware Player 3

You can fold with the 5870, I do with mine. Just create a new shortcut, don't use the one the installer creates. Give the .exe admin rights. The target field for my shortcut looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\[email protected]" -forcegpu ati_r700

DooKey,

You the man! Will this take full advantage of the Crossfire setting?
I see you also have (2) 5870's...or do I need to run two instances of the GPU client with a different target -force for the 2nd GPU?

Much appreciated

I know for Nvidia cards at least you have to run separate instances of folding for each gpu, also you probably will have to tag the first one with -gpu 0 and the second one with -gpu 1 after the -forcegpu.
Ati Crossfire people I'm sure will correct me if i'm wrong! :D

Welcome to the Team btw!!!

DooKey,

You the man! Will this take full advantage of the Crossfire setting?
I see you also have (2) 5870's...or do I need to run two instances of the GPU client with a different target -force for the 2nd GPU?

Much appreciated

The only way I can get both of my 5870s folding is to disable crossfire and remove the bridge. Since I bought both cards to game I don't do that and I only run one instance of the gpu client. Maybe the new gpu client will work like the Nvidia and allow crossfire to fold.

The only way I can get both of my 5870s folding is to disable crossfire and remove the bridge. Since I bought both cards to game I don't do that and I only run one instance of the gpu client. Maybe the new gpu client will work like the Nvidia and allow crossfire to fold.

I can confirm that I have BOTH of my 5870's folding with the Crossfire bridge on AND enabled!

I followed this guide: http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/software/2009/06/17/how-to-set-up-folding-home/4

and it's pretty self explanatory. Basically you just create a 2nd dir in the /users/username/AppData...... per the instructions. You then modify the Start in section on the GPU 1 shortcut you created. You then add the -local -forcegpu ati_r700 -gpu 1 flags in the target in that same shortcut...........and you add the -gpu 0 to the end of the initial shortcut you suggested earlier in this thread for me.

When you create the 2nd shortcut using the -gpu 1 flag it is basically forcing the 2nd 5870 to use its GPU...I can ABSOLUTELY confirm this is working as it shows up within FAHMon properly...

so now I am using 7 cores on my VM, I am using the other core for GPU 0 and 1....
I also confirmed within MSI Afterburner that both of my Crossfired GPU's are being utilized..and each one hovers around 80% utilization.

I am watercooling and I am monitoring my temps and everything appears just fine...

not bad for a [H] folding noob 'eh?

very nice! I will switch to this method soon

Welcome!

When you decide to take the bigadv plunge be sure to read up on it. You'll have to get a passkey and then do 10 WUs. Once that's out of the way, get ready for the big grin :D you will have when you see the bonus points once you finish your first bigadv..

Welcome aboard. :) Thats some nice [H]ardware you have there. Thanks for joining the cause.

Back