Thanks Guys - Didn't Know What I Was Missing

Puterguru

2[H]4U
Well after a couple off posts and some suggestions in this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1824796 I am now a new believer in good quality headphones/audio components. I had no idea what I was missing all this time.

I got the Sennheiser 558's and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.

The Senn's are just crystal clear. I'm hearing some things that I didn't know were there. The ATH M50's are just about as good but have just a little bit more punch/power/bass to them. I was up until midnight last night jamming out to some music that seems like its brand new because of the clarity I am getting. I think I will end up using the Senn's for everything on the PC and making the ATH M50's my set to be used with my phone and for traveling.

I do plan in picking up a DAC/AMP by Friday. Hoping to get just a little more bass and power out of the Senn's. Although I love the look of tube amps I have almost settled on the Audioengine D1 unless someone knows why I shouldn't? It's the price point I want to spend and gets great reviews for what I am looking for.

Thanks again everyone.

Cliffs:
Is the Audioengine D1 a solid choice?
No more cheap headphones for me.

The D1's most significant drawback is the 10-ohm output impedance. Your current cans should be OK with this, but the M50 will lose a little damping.

Headroom (headphone.com) makes some good amplifiers. I have a Headroom Micro that I bought in 2008, and it's still rocking hard. Drives my HD-650's very well, and could easily deafen a person.

I wanted a new pair of headphones and ended up with the ATH-M50's as well. I can't believe how good they sound for only $150. I went to one of the local music stores in my city that had about 100 headphones hooked up for customers to try out. I originally was going to purchase the Sony MDR7506, Senn HD380 or the AKG K171. The M50's weren't even a thought but I tried them out and was blown away.

My laptop has S/PDIF Digital Output, the Audioengine has S/PDIF Digital Input. Should I use that or the USB or it doesn't matter? I use my laptop as a desktop replacement so the D1 will be on the desk using headphones only.

The D1's most significant drawback is the 10-ohm output impedance. Your current cans should be OK with this, but the M50 will lose a little damping.

After doing some reading the ideal range would be for the AMP to be 1/8 of the impedance or less than the headphones. With the Senn's being 50 ohms then 6.5 or less would be best so the D1 should be close?

Well I think I am going to return the Senn 558's. There is almost zero bass at all compared to the M50's

Ive got a set of the 585's and absolutely love them. Was using a pair of Razer Carcharias cans that are actually very good but they cant hold a candle to the Sens. Theyre a little on the bright side but thats fine as thats usually a more detailed sound. I like them so much that I usually game with them on even when theres nobody home and I dont need to worry about the volume.

The ATH M50's are just about as good but have just a little bit more punch/power/bass to them.

If you like bass, check out the Audio Technica Pro700mk2. Probably the most powerful bass you will find in a pair of headphones and one of the best audio purchases I've made.

If you want bass you could try out the DT990's. I've heard my friend's and they definitely do put out bass... some sibilance here and there though if you're sensitive like me. That doesn't change when moving up to the T1's, either...

As for DAC/AMP I'm using an O2 and it's pretty good.

What are you powering the 558s with? I don't find them to be bass shy. They are not thumpy but clear. Which helps a lot in a fps like bf. I can hear footsteps clearly.

If you want bass you could try out the DT990's. I've heard my friend's and they definitely do put out bass... some sibilance here and there though if you're sensitive like me. That doesn't change when moving up to the T1's, either...

As for DAC/AMP I'm using an O2 and it's pretty good.

I don't necessarily want bass. I want to hear what the original artist intended me to hear. I can put on the 558's and listen to a particular song and I'm not hearing any bass. Switch to the M50's and it is there. Pronounced enough so that you can definitely hear it but not overpowering. Bass that is just not there with the 558's. That tells me the bass is there but the headphones are producing it.

What are you powering the 558s with? I don't find them to be bass shy. They are not thumpy but clear. Which helps a lot in a fps like bf. I can hear footsteps clearly.

Thats more or less what I am looking for. I am not powering them with anything at the moment, and that could be my problem. I think i'm going to order the Aune T1 today or tomorrow and keep playing with the 558's. I do like the clarity and the openness.

I don't necessarily want bass. I want to hear what the original artist intended me to hear. I can put on the 558's and listen to a particular song and I'm not hearing any bass. Switch to the M50's and it is there. Pronounced enough so that you can definitely hear it but not overpowering. Bass that is just not there with the 558's. That tells me the bass is there but the headphones are producing it.

Thats more or less what I am looking for. I am not powering them with anything at the moment, and that could be my problem. I think i'm going to order the Aune T1 today or tomorrow and keep playing with the 558's. I do like the clarity and the openness.

I have a pair of DT770s that I really enjoy. They make a 32 OHM version, which sounds pretty damn good even without a dedicated amp.

Ah, that is your problem. They need power more than the ATs do.

... I just want to note, to avoid any confusion: when I mentioned T1, I was not talking about that amp, but rather the Beyerdynamic T1 earphones. I've never used your amp. Which, if you want to hear what the artist "intended" you to hear, that's a hard thing to really know. If you really wanna go down that route, you probably want neutral earphones like the HD600's or the DT880's. I find these T1's to be very good for that purpose, though they're a bit bright. Nothing a smidgen of EQ wouldn't fix, but I have found they get better with burn in. I have read the DT880's are the next closest thing to these T1's so you might could look into them.

My amp is the Objective2 DAC/AMP. It's more expensive than what you're considering. I'm not sure how they differ.

... I just want to note, to avoid any confusion: when I mentioned T1, I was not talking about that amp, but rather the Beyerdynamic T1 earphones. I've never used your amp. Which, if you want to hear what the artist "intended" you to hear, that's a hard thing to really know. If you really wanna go down that route, you probably want neutral earphones like the HD600's or the DT880's. I find these T1's to be very good for that purpose, though they're a bit bright. Nothing a smidgen of EQ wouldn't fix, but I have found they get better with burn in. I have read the DT880's are the next closest thing to these T1's so you might could look into them.

My amp is the Objective2 DAC/AMP. It's more expensive than what you're considering. I'm not sure how they differ.

Thanks, I knew what you meant. I have the 880's on a wish list in Amazon. :) Would love to try them. It would be nice if there was a store where you could try all of these different headphones before buying.

Ah my speakers are just some modified boston acoustic models. Frankenspeakers. You get the most out of DIY when talking budget high fi speakers. You would be ASTOUNDED as to what $2-300 and some time with a soldering iron will get you.

Ah my speakers are just some modified boston acoustic models. Frankenspeakers. You get the most out of DIY when talking budget high fi speakers. You would be ASTOUNDED as to what $2-300 and some time with a soldering iron will get you.

I'm not much of a DIY guy especially when it comes to electricity and wiring. :) That does remind me though. I do have some old vintage Klipsch speakers sitting in storage. Probably too large for PC speakers though.

Does not compute :p
What matters is if you have space for them.

After doing some Googling I believe they are Klipsch KG4's. I'm going to have to go get them tomorrow now or it'll drive me nuts. I never even took them out of the original box. Some guy was selling them for $45 each. I suppose those are overkill for PC speakers though. :)

My main speakers are 1.1m tall.
I use them for TV and PC, cant beat a great system, and why waste it!

Your Klipsch are really sensitive, 94dB !
Wont need much of an amp to get them loud.

My main speakers are 1.1m tall.
I use them for TV and PC, cant beat a great system, and why waste it!

Your Klipsch are really sensitive, 94dB !
Wont need much of an amp to get them loud.

Thanks dude!

Well I've had these in storage for almost 10 years and have never used them. I even had a thread on the [H] 9 years ago about them. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=941759

80a45f.jpg

I cant seem to find a way to get them to be used on my laptop. Asus ROG G750JS - States that is has SPDIF Digital Out but I can't find anything other than the headphone jack.

599190.jpg

0a486e.jpg

I think that connection is the same as the one on my Aune T1

82bf9d.jpg

Huh? Those are speaker wire terminals. You need a speaker amp and some wire.

Back