• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Thank you pcp&c!!!!!

computerpro3

LightningRod
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
8,702
Just thought I'd post this as yet another example of why you should get a good power supply (pc power and cooling 510 SLI custom modded in my case).

ITs in the middle of a bad lightning storm here literally right now, and I dont have my usual ups hooked up because its on the other side of the room powering a server atm. I have no choice but to use my computer because im writing a MASSIVE essay due tomorrow. So im on a roll with the essay, and i totally forgot to save the last 4 or 5 pages because i was just in "the zone" writing. All the sudden, the lights go out, my monitor turns off, speaker go off, printer goes off and back on, and a massive thunderclap goes off. The computer next to me with an enermax in it reboots, TV with the yankees game on goes off, and all the lights in the house go off for like maybe 2 seconds. I think "oh shit my essay!", wait 2 seconds for power to be back, turn on my monitor, and theres word in all its glory!!!! Not even a HITCH this psu just kept rocking, and this is yet another concrete example of why paying $280 for it was 120% worth it.


edit: on another note, why did it keep working? What exactly mechanically is it that enabled it to last a drop of power for maybe 2 seconds total when everything else died? High quality caps maybe?

Thank you pcp&c! :D
 
Thats nice and all, but my AMS 550W has done the same thing.

My clock, lights radio and tv turn off for like 1-2seconds but my computer keeps on chugging.

I didn't have to pay over $100 either. So i guess my PSU has pc power and cooling quality eh? :p

But i'm glad you didn't lose your essay.
 
nas82 said:
Thats nice and all, but my AMS 550W has done the same thing.

My clock, lights radio and tv turn off for like 1-2seconds but my computer keeps on chugging.

I didn't have to pay over $100 either. So i guess my PSU has pc power and cooling quality eh? :p

But i'm glad you didn't lose your essay.

He had another computer in the room reboot which indicates the intensity of the storm. Was there another computer in the room that couldn't handle that particular storm while the AMS held up?
 
Glad to hear that you didn' t lose those unsaved pages ^_-

Still, it's not a bad habit to hit Ctrl+s every time you've written a significant amount of text. I know I'm nearly paranoid when it comes to this :D
 
MetalX said:
He had another computer in the room reboot which indicates the intensity of the storm. Was there another computer in the room that couldn't handle that particular storm while the AMS held up?

The other computer which is in a different room also contains an AMS unit, of a lower wattage.

I went to check on that one and it was still chugging along as well. I don't have any other computers with a different brand PSU.

Also, the monitor and speakers did go off on my computer as well, just like his.
 
computerpro3 said:
edit: on another note, why did it keep working? What exactly mechanically is it that enabled it to last a drop of power for maybe 2 seconds total when everything else died? High quality caps maybe?

Thank you pcp&c! :D
the large caps that are in it
 
well if you use microsoft office 2003, it has a save future whenever the power on your computer goes off, it saves your document where you last edit it.

im now sure what the feature is called though...
 
thesilentuno said:
well if you use microsoft office 2003, it has a save future whenever the power on your computer goes off, it saves your document where you last edit it.

im now sure what the feature is called though...
Autorecovery, and its also avalible in 2002/XP :)
 
computerpro3 said:
Just thought I'd post this as yet another example of why you should get a good power supply (pc power and cooling 510 SLI custom modded in my case).

ITs in the middle of a bad lightning storm here literally right now, and I dont have my usual ups hooked up because its on the other side of the room powering a server atm. I have no choice but to use my computer because im writing a MASSIVE essay due tomorrow. So im on a roll with the essay, and i totally forgot to save the last 4 or 5 pages because i was just in "the zone" writing. All the sudden, the lights go out, my monitor turns off, speaker go off, printer goes off and back on, and a massive thunderclap goes off. The computer next to me with an enermax in it reboots, TV with the yankees game on goes off, and all the lights in the house go off for like maybe 2 seconds. I think "oh shit my essay!", wait 2 seconds for power to be back, turn on my computer, and theres word in all its glory!!!! Not even a HITCH this psu just kept rocking, and this is yet another concrete example of why paying $280 for it was 120% worth it.


edit: on another note, why did it keep working? What exactly mechanically is it that enabled it to last a drop of power for maybe 2 seconds total when everything else died? High quality caps maybe?

Thank you pcp&c! :D


It's not the quality of caps as much as it is the amount of them (to be more precise the amount of capacitance). An expensive power supply will use more capacitors, but not $180 more or anything but more nonetheless. They have to make the price premium worth something.

Just to be clear why did you say you turned the computer on after 2 seconds? Did it go off or not?
 
sxr71 said:
It's not the quality of caps as much as it is the amount of them (to be more precise the amount of capacitance). An expensive power supply will use more capacitors, but not $180 more or anything but more nonetheless. They have to make the price premium worth something.

Just to be clear why did you say you turned the computer on after 2 seconds? Did it go off or not?

no, but the monitor did :p

Kinda hard to see my essay without my 2005fpw! Althought I should have been clearer in my wording, it was late, and I'd been working way to long so I didnt pay much attention...
 
me thinks it was auto recovery. Do PSU's act like Battery Backups where they keep ur shit on when everything goes off. That's why I now have a Belkin. In no way did I buy my decent PSU cuz I was worried about power outages though maybe I'm clueless and should have. Oh well, glad u saved ur stuff. Get another BBU.
 
Pkirk618 said:
me thinks it was auto recovery
The fact that he didn't have to reboot after the outage makes me doubt that autorecovery had anything to do with it.
 
The bottom line is that that the PC P&C "held"! :)
It's rated "hold up time" is among the highest,
its caps are among the largest & this uber quality PSU saved the day!

Now go get an APC UPS! ;)
 
Back
Top