TFTP Server Question

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to flash DD-WRT onto this LaFonera.
Seems to be working- I got my hopes up.
I've been following this guide to a T:
http://uselesshacks.com/?p=23

Now, my problem comes into play when I start to use Tftpd32 and try to load the files.
It just keeps timing out- never finds them.

I'm using PuTTy as my telnet application. Everything was done exactly like in that guide...

They are in the same directory as Tftpd32.exe. The location is pointing to them.
I just don't understand why it isn't finding this stuff...
This Tftpd32.exe almost seems TOO easy. Do I just start it- and that's the end? It seems like I should be trying to specify which files to serve or something, but I don't see the option for it, and nor does the guide specify to do anything else.

Any of you have any ideas? I've unblocked all ports and stuff.
Like I said- everything else went without a glitch until I got to the TFTP server. Something that SHOULD be easy, but obviously is causing me problems.

Just realized I have one of these sitting behind me... give me a couple minutes to flash the firmware on mine and see if there is anything I can suggest.

One thing I noticed.. when you change your IP to the 192.168 address, change your default gateway as well (192.168.1.254)

One thing I noticed.. when you change your IP to the 192.168 address, change your default gateway as well (192.168.1.254)
You mean right under the "Flashing Your Firmware" section?

Here is where it has you change that, the guy doesn't say to change the default gateway- you are saying I should? Did it not work without doing that?

8.gif

Gave that a shot. Disabled my firewall. Nothing.

You didn't have any problems?

I have no ideal what your trying to do, but it sounds like your files are not in the correct directory. Either that or you have a IP addressing issue, make sure you can ping from one device to the other before trying to TFTP something.

I use Turbo TFTP, you don't have to specify what file(s) to serve, just put them in the tftp directory and off you go. You do, on the router specify the file to be downloaded.

I have no ideal what your trying to do, but it sounds like your files are not in the correct directory.
Yep. They are. Just like the guide said- they are in the same directory the program is in (and where the program is pointing).

Either that or you have a IP addressing issue, make sure you can ping from one device to the other before trying to TFTP something.
Like I said- everything works up to this point. I have connectivity- just not TFTP connectivity.

Gave TFTP Turbo a try. No go.

It is making me think the guide might have omitted a step- were you able to get it working ok?

Gave TFTP Turbo a try. No go.

It is making me think the guide might have omitted a step- were you able to get it working ok?

Like I said eariler, when it has your change the IP from 169.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x change the default getway to 192.168.1.254

Since just like the author I got rushed at the end and have to reflash mine again tonight I will take some screen shots of what I'm talking about.

tftp uses the broadcast address for the subnet. so both machines need to be on the same subnet...

I've tried changing the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 as well, still didn't work.

Everything is on a /24 subnet.

I really have no clue why this is not working... It is driving me insane!

You might just want to delete all the files and start from the beginning.
Drop everything in a folder on your desktop and try it again.

I messed around in the settings... the "Bind to XX interface" fixed it.
Even though the other interface was DISABLED and not even showing up...

The only problem, is when it downloads and has all the dashes go accross the screen when you load a file- it never returns to a prompt.
The dashes stop (like the transfer is done) but no prompt comes up. Did I jump it too soon?

BTW, I think you don't have to go all the way back to the beginning if you screw the Telnet part up (loading these files, etc). You can just resume booting into the configuration mode and start new (have to reset the IP, run fis init, etc), but you don't have to re-enable SSH or anything.

Back