TFTP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
Will be setting up a few diskless clients for F@H.
I have the instructions on how to do it .. but have some general questions about the networking aspects..

Will be using TFTP32. In the instructions, it states to turn off DHCP and manaully tcp/ip settings on machines on the network that are not involved in the PXE boot, which i have done already , just confusted about the gateway ...

Is the gateway my machine running the tftp or the router?

If the gateway is my machine, does that mean all traffic now goes threw my machine ?

I guess i am confusted on what the routers function is once the dhcp is turned off ..

Many Thanks

From that link, it looks like his gateway is not the PC he is setting the tftp server on.
So I would assume that the gateway will be your current gateway to your "router"

I skimmed over the link and from what I can tell, the gateway is just your standard default gateway (your router).

as for the router's function, for folding@home, you still need to talk out to the server and get your 'assignments' or whatever and upload your completed ones. the router's function doesn't change, it just won't automatically give you an IP/mask/gateway/dns. you will have to configure that manually. (just write down what the router currently gives you automatically, and enter it in statically).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back