OS Paged Pool Memory Low (Source games error message)
I just started getting this error message over the past couple of weeks. I thought I'd fixed it, but after moving to a larger drive, it has got much, much worse.
Things I've tried:
1. Uninstalling ESET NOD32
2. Disabling unneeded services
3. Disabling unneeded startup items
4. Registry fix: allotting more RAM to paged pool memory
5. Tinkering with virtual memory settings (which are not paged pool memory settings)
I once disabled ALL the startup items. I didn't get the OS Paged Pool Memory Low error, but if I loaded one thing (say, my game profiling software), that was enough to tip the scales and see the error in the top right corner of my screen.
TF2 actually crashed to desktop this morning.
Even after disabling all startup items, Process Explorer reported that my Paged Physical Memory was at roughly 181,000 KB. According to Steam Support, "If the value exceeds 150MB, you are using too much paged pool memory." Apparently, I'm starting too high.
It wasn't doing this at all a couple of weeks ago. I could run Zone Alarm Security Suite, ESET NOD32 and anything else I wanted and got no error messages at all. I'm really quite puzzled as to why this is happening. I have plenty of system RAM.
The problem started before my recent upgrade to a 1TB drive, but post upgrade, the game is unplayable. I also installed a 3rd party cooling fan on my video card: Zalman VF900 CU. Could fried video RAM cause this problem? How about bad system RAM?
Process Explorer would seem to support the idea of some kind of memory leak or stupid user trick.
System Specifications:
Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit)
4 X 1 GB DDR2-800 (system only sees 3GB)
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
eVGA 9800gt 512MB
More info if you need it.
I just started getting this error message over the past couple of weeks. I thought I'd fixed it, but after moving to a larger drive, it has got much, much worse.
Things I've tried:
1. Uninstalling ESET NOD32
2. Disabling unneeded services
3. Disabling unneeded startup items
4. Registry fix: allotting more RAM to paged pool memory
5. Tinkering with virtual memory settings (which are not paged pool memory settings)
I once disabled ALL the startup items. I didn't get the OS Paged Pool Memory Low error, but if I loaded one thing (say, my game profiling software), that was enough to tip the scales and see the error in the top right corner of my screen.
TF2 actually crashed to desktop this morning.
Even after disabling all startup items, Process Explorer reported that my Paged Physical Memory was at roughly 181,000 KB. According to Steam Support, "If the value exceeds 150MB, you are using too much paged pool memory." Apparently, I'm starting too high.
It wasn't doing this at all a couple of weeks ago. I could run Zone Alarm Security Suite, ESET NOD32 and anything else I wanted and got no error messages at all. I'm really quite puzzled as to why this is happening. I have plenty of system RAM.
The problem started before my recent upgrade to a 1TB drive, but post upgrade, the game is unplayable. I also installed a 3rd party cooling fan on my video card: Zalman VF900 CU. Could fried video RAM cause this problem? How about bad system RAM?
Process Explorer would seem to support the idea of some kind of memory leak or stupid user trick.
System Specifications:
Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit)
4 X 1 GB DDR2-800 (system only sees 3GB)
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
eVGA 9800gt 512MB
More info if you need it.