TF2 Engie Update: ?

ah this classic, inspires me every time I see the reference.

Sirlin's "play to win" essay is great, I bring it out whenever I can. :) People that complain about certain tactics being cheesy or not exploiting rules in a game because it isn't "honorable" or whatever arbitrary reason are keeping themselves from being better players.

You've been trolling tf2 threads for years. Think maybe it's time to give it up? Or do you enjoy banging your head against the wall in your mind?

I'm not trolling, I'm simply stating the facts of the game, sure I can search for ages through servers to find one with just the right configuration of mods to actually fix the game, but the point is the game shouldn't be broken to begin with.

I'm a sort of retired pro gamer, I used to play a lot of TFC and UT back in the day and I'm older now and really just play casually, but TF2 is largely an exercise in frustration.

You shouldn't need to search for niche servers, join clans and tournament ladders or whatever the hell you have to do to get competative play, competative play doesn't have to be pro/elite it just has to be a system which rewards the player for playing skillfully.

Crits negate skill and effort with luck. Most days half my deaths are to crit rockets.

This highlights the problem nicely, for good players this really is no exaggeration, if i get bounced about by a rocket then fine, I will retreat, seek healthpacks or a medic or simply go back to spawn or find a dispenser...good players learn to keep themselves alive.

The problem with random crits is they are usually unavoidable, you cannot predict them and thus cannot avoid them, they result in what I'd call an unfair death, when you can stay alive against regular rockets, grenades etc then the percentage of deaths to criticals goes way up, to the point where basically you're dying to crits constantly.

I have found a few good nocrits servers, the main problem with modded servers is the admin goes crazy and it ends up with all sorts of crazy rubbish on it. Still the argument theres a server or a mod for it is a bad one, if the game has this rubbish stock then it's newbed up, sorry theres no 2 ways about it.

I'm not trolling, I'm simply stating the facts of the game, sure I can search for ages through servers to find one with just the right configuration of mods to actually fix the game, but the point is the game shouldn't be broken to begin with.

I'm a sort of retired pro gamer, I used to play a lot of TFC and UT back in the day and I'm older now and really just play casually, but TF2 is largely an exercise in frustration.

You shouldn't need to search for niche servers, join clans and tournament ladders or whatever the hell you have to do to get competative play, competative play doesn't have to be pro/elite it just has to be a system which rewards the player for playing skillfully.

This highlights the problem nicely, for good players this really is no exaggeration, if i get bounced about by a rocket then fine, I will retreat, seek healthpacks or a medic or simply go back to spawn or find a dispenser...good players learn to keep themselves alive.

The problem with random crits is they are usually unavoidable, you cannot predict them and thus cannot avoid them, they result in what I'd call an unfair death, when you can stay alive against regular rockets, grenades etc then the percentage of deaths to criticals goes way up, to the point where basically you're dying to crits constantly.

I have found a few good nocrits servers, the main problem with modded servers is the admin goes crazy and it ends up with all sorts of crazy rubbish on it. Still the argument theres a server or a mod for it is a bad one, if the game has this rubbish stock then it's newbed up, sorry theres no 2 ways about it.

Fine. Then how about this?

TF2 is NOT a competitive game in nature. It IS very casual and designed to be FUN. If you want a competitive game "from the start" or by "nature" then go play something else.

It's like going to a go-kart track and complaining they're not F1 cars.

Back