• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Text on HDTV is blurry when using HDMI

Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
25
I am trying to fix a resolution (I guess) problem on a new HDTV I am using with my PC. The text looks blurry even on the native 1080p resolution when using an HDMI connector, but crystal clear when using VGA. This is my TV.

I was trying to look for some more options in CCC to correct it, but my CCC does not look like the pictures from their website. I am looking for some HDTV settings to fix my problem but I cannot find any. My CCC looks like this.

I have an HD 4830 and I am using Windows 7.

Help for either problem would be great. Thanks.
 
I am trying to fix a resolution (I guess) problem on a new HDTV I am using with my PC. The text looks blurry even on the native 1080p resolution when using an HDMI connector, but crystal clear when using VGA. This is my TV.

I was trying to look for some more options in CCC to correct it, but my CCC does not look like the pictures from their website. I am looking for some HDTV settings to fix my problem but I cannot find any. My CCC looks like this.

I have an HD 4830 and I am using Windows 7.

Help for either problem would be great. Thanks.

Open up CCC. Top left corner click on "Graphics." Go to "Desktops & Displays." Bottom left corner, right click on your monitor icon and select "configure." Now you'll see four tabs or so. Select "Scaling Options" and make sure to set overscan to "0%."
 
Last edited:
I swear I tried that earlier and it brought me back to the home screen.

Anyways, I set overscan to 0%, it seems to have helped, but all text is still blurry. Just less blurry. Could any of those other settings help?

I think it may be my TV, it doesn't seem to have many settings I can change to correct it. I may have to go buy another VGA cord and hook this monitor through that instead of HDMI.

And thank-you for helping.
 
Are you using a DVI to HDMI adapter that ati provided with the card? If so thats the issue.

My DVI to HDMI adapter causes no problems, image quality is no different from my straight DVI to HDMI cable and A LOT better than VGA.
 
Make sure your TV is set to 'just scan' as well. That was my issue and that cleared it all up.
 
Make sure your TV is set to 'just scan' as well. That was my issue and that cleared it all up.

Yeah the thing is my TV seems to very limited in options. I can't find anything about overscanning or underscanning or whatever. All I can find are color options, DNR, CTI, Flesh Tone, Adaptive Luma Control, Blue Back, and Backlight.
 
Try enabling a "Game Mode" or something like that on the TV. Disable any of the enhancement features that are enabled as well. If the TV is trying to sharpen the image or do anything like that it causes problems. I've also found changing the aspect ratio on the TV helps as well sometimes. I had some overscan issues with my plasma and selecting a different stretch mode instead of the scaling in CCC fixed the problem nicely.
 
I swear I tried that earlier and it brought me back to the home screen.

Anyways, I set overscan to 0%, it seems to have helped, but all text is still blurry. Just less blurry. Could any of those other settings help?

I think it may be my TV, it doesn't seem to have many settings I can change to correct it. I may have to go buy another VGA cord and hook this monitor through that instead of HDMI.

And thank-you for helping.

No problem. As others have pointed out, sharpness settings will also cause a halo around text and other fine images. Disable any type of automatic picture function and lower your sharpness. TV's are usually factory set to sharpen images way too much, lowering readability of text.
 
Are you using a DVI to HDMI adapter that ati provided with the card? If so thats the issue.

dont spread FUD, not true.


i had this issue on my Sony Bravia TV as well with 2 diff HDMI cables, also even using ATI included adapter, i couldn't ever fix it, VGA was crystal clear with no problems!
 
Had the same thing with a Sharp 42". Text was horrible. I have a Samsung 40" LED now and it's perfect. I think certain TV's don't give the right info handshake back to the video card and/or just don't have the right guts to handle the job.
 
Try enabling a "Game Mode" or something like that on the TV. Disable any of the enhancement features that are enabled as well. If the TV is trying to sharpen the image or do anything like that it causes problems. I've also found changing the aspect ratio on the TV helps as well sometimes. I had some overscan issues with my plasma and selecting a different stretch mode instead of the scaling in CCC fixed the problem nicely.

Can't find any type of game mode. I disabled all modes, nothing happened. There is a sharpen setting, but lowering it to 0 just makes text look darker. The TV only has two aspect modes, Full and 4:3, the latter just squishes the screen and adds black bars.

The whole "Image Scaling" box is grayed out on the "Attributes" tab, not sure how to enable that. I don't see a stretch mode option.
 
Can't find any type of game mode. I disabled all modes, nothing happened. There is a sharpen setting, but lowering it to 0 just makes text look darker. The TV only has two aspect modes, Full and 4:3, the latter just squishes the screen and adds black bars.

The whole "Image Scaling" box is grayed out on the "Attributes" tab, not sure how to enable that. I don't see a stretch mode option.

Try this - turn off text smoothing in Windows. Some TVs don't do well with it enabled. It's called "smooth edges of screen fonts" in Windows 7.
 
Back
Top