Text Messaging over Wifi?

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
Heading to the UK for 3 weeks next week, my phone doesnt have a sim card slot (droid x on Verizon). Been looking into text message apps that work over wifi and not 3g/4g. Any recommendations? I've found a few but they aren't clear as to whether or not they allow texting to a phone that doesnt have the app installed and if it will work in the UK (dont see why it wouldnt though) Are there any apps that allow you to make phone calls over wifi?

Google voice + GrooveIP will take care of the calls.

You'll have to use a 3rd party chat app since a SMS requires cell service.

I looked at Google Voice but couldnt find any concrete info on whether it will work in the UK. I saw that it says it requires the user to be in the United States for setup but it is unclear as to whether or not the text messaging service will work in the UK.

You'll have to use a 3rd party chat app since a SMS requires cell service.

Not necessarily... There's an app on the marke.... errr... Google Play called 'Google Voice Integration' that will allow you to send and receive SMS messages via Google Voice using the standard SMS app on your phone. It also works with third party SMS apps like Go SMS (which is what I use).

Google voice will allow you to send SMS over wifi using a real number given here in the states. Now will that work outside of the USA, that I am not sure. You just use the google voice app to send SMS messages. You can't send MMS though.

Back