Text LCD questions

z-lite

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 30, 2002
Messages
507
*MODS* If this is in the wrong forum, please move it for me thanks!

Hey guys, I have a 20x4 parallel LCD board with 16 pins. I'm trying to find the right way to wire it but I'm getting 2 difference versions of the schematics.

Here is one page with one version: http://www.geocities.com/krebnarb/lcdguide.htm
This is the second version: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/1495/ee_lcd.html

In the spec sheet from CrystalFontz, pin 1 is for ground, 2 is for the logic (5V), 3 is to adjust the contrast for the LCD. Pin 15 is for LED+ and 16 is for LED-. The LCD voltage is 4.5V and current is 1.6mA, the LED voltage is 3.5V and current is 60 mA.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. What resistance/power rating do I need for a resistor for the LCD and LED if I'm using a 5V source?
2. Do I have to ground pins 18-25 on the parallel port to a ground point if I'm going to use the 5V and ground wires from a molex connector to ground pin 1 and 16 to the molex?
3. Would I wire the LED resistor in series to pin 15 from the 5V power and ground pin 16?
4. Can I use the wires from a cat5 cable to do the wiring?
 
I was able to figure out the answer to question 1 which would be ~25 ohm, 1/4 watt and ~330, 1/8 watt
 
1) You figured that out already
2) That ought to be fine--since you'll connect pin 1 to GND on the power cable, connecting all the parallel port grounds to the same pin won't gain you anything.
3) You have that right. TBH, it doesn't matter which side of the LED you solder the resistor to, as long as they're in series and you get + and - right.
4) Yes.
 
Back
Top