Text Capture

dia19

Gawd
Looking for a program to capture text from another program...

A program called S2_util outputs its results from reading RFID Tags into text window but does not produce an output file till after it closes and we need to incorporate the text in that window into another program in real time.

So is there a program that will capture that text and produce it into a results file as both programs are running?

Sorry if it sounds confusing, ask questions if you do not understand... Thanks

What operating system? Do you have access to the source code for S2_util? Can you just run the program from the command line (DOS prompt in Windows)? What does the "text window" look like? (Screenshot?)

Windows XP

No source code for S2_UTIL is given.

Screenshot:
s2util.jpg

The area that is black in the lower left corner of the program is what i want outputed to a text file when it detects something, any ideas?

I don't know if there's anything already available to do what you need, but it is possible to create such software.

It could pull the text out of the control in the existing program, but there might be issues in terms of knowing when to check. (I used this sort of method to integrate an application with a crappy UI into one of my applications, as it was adequate for my purposes.)

Alternatively, it could hook into the Windows messaging system to capture the messages intended for that control, do whatever, and then pass them on to the control. This would probably be the better way to do it, as notification of when there's new data to deal with is built in.

Of course, if you haven't the resources and/or ability to do the above, then this post may not be all that helpful to you...

Back