tetherme

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
So...I'm TRYING to use Tetherme. And I had to pay because the POS has no trial (should have been sign one I was barking up the wrong tree) and while I can see a wifi hotspot...it's intermittant. It's not always on - there seems to be no way to ensure it REMAINS on. Am I missing something?

I've got my Zune connecting to the phone, and then SmartDJ can pick songs off the Zune marketplace....which works for a bit, then the phone seems to stop broadcasting and all network songs fail. Is this just tetherme being crap? Does MyWi make a proper hotspot these days that my Zune can see?

Thanks!

I use MyWi with no issues at all. I use it at least once a week and have had no problems with it. It's updated regularly and supported by many people.

I would say the $20 was well worth it.

I have been using MyWi for close to 6 months without issue. Love it, and always has a good signal, I also like the notification when a new user connects.

agreed. MyWi is the way to go (or PDAnet)

Although, if you're on AT&T, be careful... I was forced to tether my phone to my laptop briefly late last week and got a text message from AT&T today stating that if I wanted to use the tethering feature, I had to sign up for a tethering data plan. So they can obviously tell when someone is using it. Just a heads up for you.

I use MyWi with no issues at all. I use it at least once a week and have had no problems with it. It's updated regularly and supported by many people.

I would say the $20 was well worth it.

I have been using MyWi for close to 6 months without issue. Love it, and always has a good signal, I also like the notification when a new user connects.

MyWi is better hands down. no issue with it what so ever.

this^

agreed. MyWi is the way to go (or PDAnet)

Although, if you're on AT&T, be careful... I was forced to tether my phone to my laptop briefly late last week and got a text message from AT&T today stating that if I wanted to use the tethering feature, I had to sign up for a tethering data plan. So they can obviously tell when someone is using it. Just a heads up for you.

Because of how they determine this I think they can only tell if you use a laptop (or desktop but who would do that). If you are tethering just to give your tablet or zune interwebs on the go then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also I have heard great things about MyWi but I had decent success with PDA net for free (cuts you off from https after a couple weeks) though it was not great.

I have been tethering to my computer for 3 months now. No texts from AT&T saying I needed to sign up for their tethering program. I average 4GB of data a month through my iPhone. Between Grooveshark, Netflix, and tethering is where I use all that data.

Tetherme has been great for me. I even bought the version for my iPad. So I use that while we head down the highway to let my daughter went cartoons.

Because of how they determine this I think they can only tell if you use a laptop (or desktop but who would do that). If you are tethering just to give your tablet or zune interwebs on the go then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also I have heard great things about MyWi but I had decent success with PDA net for free (cuts you off from https after a couple weeks) though it was not great.

MyWi doesn't work with my Zune as it's an ad hoc network - or at least, that's how it was. I'm using tetherme for a reason - because it's a real hotspot, using the feature built in for VZW phones.

So NO ONE answered my questions. Thanks.

Might be a dumb question but have you rebooted your phone after installing TetherMe?

I've been using it w/o issue via bluetooth and usb prior to 4.3 and enjoying the hotspot feature since 4.3 launch.

Might be a dumb question but have you rebooted your phone after installing TetherMe?

I've been using it w/o issue via bluetooth and usb prior to 4.3 and enjoying the hotspot feature since 4.3 launch.

Yeah, I think Cydia forcibly reboots you anyway, right?

My problem is the hotspot doesn't ALWAYS seem to broadcast. I suspect it's a battery optimization, but I wanted to find out if that's true, or if there is a setting I missed...

Or if MyWi is now a hotspot.

MyWi doesn't work with my Zune as it's an ad hoc network - or at least, that's how it was. I'm using tetherme for a reason - because it's a real hotspot, using the feature built in for VZW phones.

So NO ONE answered my questions. Thanks.

You left some crucial information out of there dude, so before you start snapping at the people that are trying to help (or give you a better solution) you might want to provide ALL the information.

With that said, yes MyWi does ad-hoc as you connect to the device, not a "physical" network being broadcast. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are using your Zune to connect to an iPhone? Both are media players, so I am assuming you have had the Zune for awhile and have it loaded with music/videos? Why not transfer everything?

You left some crucial information out of there dude, so before you start snapping at the people that are trying to help (or give you a better solution) you might want to provide ALL the information.

With that said, yes MyWi does ad-hoc as you connect to the device, not a "physical" network being broadcast. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are using your Zune to connect to an iPhone? Both are media players, so I am assuming you have had the Zune for awhile and have it loaded with music/videos? Why not transfer everything?

I included all information required; I asked if it broadcasted a hotspot...and no one answered, they just tried to sell me on MyWi.

Why use a Zune? Because I find iTunes to be one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever used. It's a terrible media player, horrible for syncing stuff to my phone and just a pain to use...unresponsive for long periods of time...etc. My zune has a great interface, I'm invested in the Zune pass, and using SmartDJ to pull down pandora/LastFM style feeds off the music store while on the go is a great thing for me. Moreover, a 64GB device is a requirement when I'm only carring music with me. Add in apps, photos and such and suddenly I need to go above 64GB.

IE, I think that Apple has one of the worst media experiences out there and aside from the iphone/ipad, I hate all Apple products.

Information you decided not to include:
Are you on 4.3?
Is your cell signal good?
Does this happen ALL the time, or only certain times?
do you "lose" the personal hotspot setup when this happens?
do any other devices lose the wifi connection or just the zune?

All tetherme does is allow you to turn on the native iOS tethering function without activating it, so there's nothing special aside from iOS' setting for this.
So essentially you aren't doing anything special aside from "skipping" the registration part.

Also, had you done a bit of research you'd see that mywi does do hotspot (used it for a while before i decided i don't need it)

that said, why don't you just get an android phone?

Information you decided not to include:
Are you on 4.3?
Is your cell signal good?
Does this happen ALL the time, or only certain times?
do you "lose" the personal hotspot setup when this happens?
do any other devices lose the wifi connection or just the zune?

All tetherme does is allow you to turn on the native iOS tethering function without activating it, so there's nothing special aside from iOS' setting for this.
So essentially you aren't doing anything special aside from "skipping" the registration part.

Also, had you done a bit of research you'd see that mywi does do hotspot (used it for a while before i decided i don't need it)

that said, why don't you just get an android phone?

Tried android, hated it.

As for MyWi - I looked at the changelogs and found nothing in terms of them saying they could do a hotspot; prior to 4.3 it did not...does it now?

Is your cell signal good? I'm stationary.
Does this happen ALL the time, or only certain times? Answered this. I have my zune connected, weeee all is good, then suddenly, no connection. I can repeat this, but I see no pattern.
do you "lose" the personal hotspot setup when this happens? yes...
do any other devices lose the wifi connection or just the zune? None. I've got the 3G ipad, so I have no other need.

Yes. MyWi broadcasts a WIFi network no adhoc required. It is one of the "features" listed right on their home page.

Here

Now does that help answer your question?

Yes. MyWi broadcasts a WIFi network no adhoc required. It is one of the "features" listed right on their home page.

Here

Now does that help answer your question?

Last I looked, I think it said hotspot as well, though I could be wrong.

I expired my trial earlier -any way to reset the trial? Or must I put money down to give it another go?

Last I looked, I think it said hotspot as well, though I could be wrong.

I expired my trial earlier -any way to reset the trial? Or must I put money down to give it another go?

You could download it from a less than legit site and ssh into your phone and install it... just to try it again though of course...

Back