tether a desktop to a laptop???

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm staying in a guest house for another five days with an older laptop and my desktop while I look for a new flat to move into. The laptop has wifi but the desktop doesn't. Wireless USB adapters are not very cheap considering I will probably never use it again if I buy one. I'm wondering if it is possible to connect the laptop to the desktop so that the desktop gets internet.

If they are windows you can use Internet connection sharing. Its a pain but you can get it working.

I'm running windows 7 64 on both of them.
I'm just heading to sleep but it seems to me it requires a wired hub if i'm understanding correctly. is it possible to run a CAT wire between the two computers directly?

I'm running windows 7 64 on both of them.
I'm just heading to sleep but it seems to me it requires a wired hub if i'm understanding correctly. is it possible to run a CAT wire between the two computers directly?

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-781...ie=UTF8&qid=1395889440&sr=8-2&keywords=edimax

If both computers have gigabit NICs, you can just connect them with a cable. If they aren't you may need a crossover cable. Or you could just buy the $10 wifi adapter that I linked to.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back